Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Joe Evans 05-03-2004 06:21 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

I can certainly hear the influence from The Church. They were one of my favorite bands back in the glorious 80's. I think their sound sort of *was* the sound of the decade. I am looking forward to listening to more of your stuff.

--joe

Roy Howell 05-03-2004 09:41 PM

Just listened to the first 3 songs.. 'Judas', 'Speed', and 'Warning'... some great guitar work and cool arrangements, interesting changes throughout. Good job...I'll listen to more later.
-Roy

Straatocastoer 05-03-2004 10:00 PM

OK ... I haven't posted anything here before although I have projects that are nearly done that I will share, but this was a little gem that I re-discovered recently that made me smile. My old band mates came up to visit me last September (we haven't been a 'band' for almost 10 years now), and we played for a day -- like 20 hours straight. I rolled 'tape' for much of it, and we actually wrote a couple of songs while we drank copious amounts of German and Dutch beer.

This one is called "Labyrinth." The drummer showed up to our little reunion with a drum line and we threw together the rest of what is here. It is an instrumental, but you wouldn't want to hear us sing -- trust me. We worked on it for about a half hour and then played it through. I did go over it afterward to lay down a few more guitar tracks for thickness and to spruce it up generally, but the majority of what you hear is the three of us live. That being said, I realize that the playing isn't very tight, and my solo gets bent all over the place (thank you Grolsh beer). The drums were recorded to a stereo track, so mixdown was interesting because the kick is buried in there, the cymbals are all over the place, and there is very little control of the mix in general. This wasn't ever intended for release, but I thought it would be interesting to share with the DUC.

I know this isn't perfect, but it is cool to me because it is creativity in action. It is just a trio of old friends who wrote some music over laughs and beer, and here is the first pass at one of those tunes. Next up is a completely improvised and unrehearsed tune called "Thumbs Up."

Labyrinth

Aussie169 05-04-2004 12:47 AM

Hey Straat.
Nice stuff, I love hearing live jams. Don't care what it sounds like. The energy you get from playing live seems to overcome any lack in sound quality in my opinion.

Gotta love those electronic drums

Rabidium 05-04-2004 01:46 AM

Hi, guys,

Well, I spent almost the entire weekend rebuilding my site. Turns out I hate web design.

So this should be working now, can someone give it a listen and tell me that it works?

http://www.byolaf.com/Music/MusicHouse.htm

Can you also tell me if the spot sucks?

I uploaded a sample of a couple of levels (tracks) for you to listen to. I will have a short spot for low-bandwidth users, and I'll put some more complicated stuff out for you to listen to as time goes on.
Thanks for your patience and your ears. I'll listen to some of your stuff as soon as I can.
-Olaf

Straatocastoer 05-04-2004 06:14 AM

Quote:

Gotta love those electronic drums

LOL ... yeah, I have an entirely "silent" setup for jamming purposes: I run the guitar through the GT-6, bass through the GT-6B, and put the drummer on my V-Drums. I slam all those signals through a compact mixer and into my headphone distribution system -- VIOLA! We can be playing for hours without forcing the neighbors into hiding, and my wife and kids never have to leave the house just because dad is acting like a 19 year old rock star wannabe -- well except for all the laughing like idiots between songs.

Thank you for the nice comment. I agree, there is nothing like the energy of playing live.

3000 05-04-2004 07:41 AM

Quote:

Just listened to the first 3 songs.. 'Judas', 'Speed', and 'Warning'... some great guitar work and cool arrangements, interesting changes throughout. Good job...I'll listen to more later.
-Roy

Thanks for listening and for the feedback I have already listened some of the latest arrivals here on this forum and I guess many great stuff is being recorded all around the world. I like mixing and creating new sounds. And I listened many great sounds and especially voices here.

I am a guitar player and I always like to try something new. My biggest problem is finding a good vocal for my songs. For 9 years, I was in VA for university education on interior designing, TX for pschycology minoring, and CA for recording technology classes. Still a lot to learn and to do. I also like to listen to what you guys record, and just love listening those voices.

I will be back...

Brad Ferguson 05-04-2004 08:05 AM

neoprene

Here's another track off the album i did.

The Benny Hymn Crusade

The master is really bright, i'll be the first one to admit that..

The band is neoprene.

Roy Howell 05-04-2004 12:26 PM

Hey Straat...
That's very cool... ..from what you had said, I was expecting '99 Barrels of Beer' or something( ), but I really enjoyed the piece. Those may be the best sounding V-Drums I've heard, and the drummer does em justice. Nice guitar work too...Cool piece.
-Roy

nightshadecrisis 05-04-2004 01:02 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by nightshadecrisis

3000 05-04-2004 01:49 PM

The new track of mine . This is more like "how-fast-you-can-go" song. Instrumental!

Hot Lap On The Wires

Captain_Pants 05-04-2004 02:16 PM

Nightshade, I tried to grab it, but it didnt work...

Straatocastoer 05-04-2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

Hey Straat...
That's very cool... ..from what you had said, I was expecting '99 Barrels of Beer' or something( ), but I really enjoyed the piece. Those may be the best sounding V-Drums I've heard, and the drummer does em justice. Nice guitar work too...Cool piece.

LOL Roy ... '99 Barrels of Beer' could have the theme of taking out the trash the next day! It was a lot of fun with my two best friends, and your kind comments are much appreciated. Dave (the drummer) is one heck of a drummer, and that day was the first time he ever sat behind a V-Drum kit. I have a nearly finished project that has V-Drums all over it -- and most people cannot tell.

I'll have another tune up in a day or two called "Thumbs Up" that is from the same session as "Labyrinth."

Hey 3000, re: "Hot Lap on the Wires" ... wow! Excellent chops my man!

nightshadecrisis 05-04-2004 07:04 PM

oops, i gotta fix the link when i get back from work...sorry bout that.
ev

Rabidium 05-04-2004 07:28 PM

Hey, ya'll, I've been listening to some of the last two pages, some great stuff here. I don't know if most of you have been around since page 1 (well, before in the thread that got del'd) but it seems to me that music has just been getting better and better around here. Very good work, all.
I'd give specific comments, but I don't have time, I'm working on bringing my own music up to par!!

3000, I can't play 'wheels' I curious to hear it.
-Olaf

Roy Howell 05-04-2004 11:29 PM

Rabidium/Olaf,
I listened to 'Music House', and though it's a bizarre piece, I enjoyed it. It's good to hear something really different sometimes. You seem to prefer experimental recording/creating to more conventional methods, and that's cool with me. Post more when you can.
-Roy

Roy Howell 05-05-2004 09:10 AM

DR Loop,
Finally got to listen to 'Why Should I'...it's a good song, and I really like the changes in it. The song itself grows on you in just one pass. I hear some slight 'boom' here and there, but good job overall, IMO. Post more when you get a chance. -Roy

Brad Ferguson and Ev,
I can't get those links to work. Just repost when they're back up.
thanks, Roy

Rabidium 05-05-2004 12:38 PM

Richard, thanks for listening to it. I'm glad you liked that, it's one of the more sedated pieces on the album, but I think it's a good intro. I'll be posting more very soon. This is a cool project in that it's easy to get the gist of it from a listener's standpoint. It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I really like it, and so I thought I'd put it out there.

As far as experimenting, I like to learn by doing. There's an awful lot to learn about music, especially since I didn't listen to music growing up. I only started thinking about making music when I was about 20 (I'm 26), so I've a lot of catching up to do. I am working on an almost traditional rock album, but different issues crop up which I have to learn to deal with. For example, my sense of rythm was always what is typically referred to as "[bleep]", so this project is a way of working on some of the timing issues. Many of the songs correspond to song structures from the rock album, I'm just getting a grip on how to build things together and create songs organically. But I also don't think that every disc you get should sound like all the other discs in your collection, so this is a way of challenging typically held notions. And now that I'm here, I can always pull back the wierdness and make this more mainstream.

But yeah, I think music's a little stale right now, and I want to help it (and me) grow, one way of growing is to do things no one expects, especially yourself! I never expected to be releasing a retro techno album, but if something's good, I'm going to put it out there.

I'll put up some shorter samples as soon as I figure out how to summarize a 70-minute album in 30 seconds. Meanwhile, thanks for listening, I hope more people do, because eventually I'll find the target audience, and they will really love this.
-Olaf

Roy Howell 05-05-2004 01:44 PM

Quote:

Richard, thanks for listening to it....

Olaf, I have to ask you....who's Richard?

Rabidium 05-05-2004 02:20 PM

<backpedaling> Sorry, man, It's just that you rock so hard, and you're so talented, I felt a three letter name wasn't enough to contain you!!!</backpedaling>

Naw, actually it's just that there's a Richard Howell on the other board I read, so I swapped you two. Sorry! You're by far the better RH, he's kinda a dik, and you're so helpful and talented and attractive and nice and well built and handsome and affable and myopic and musical and mysterious and vivacious and....

Am I out now? 8o)
-Olaf

Roy Howell 05-05-2004 02:37 PM

I was just wondering, that's all... ...I figured Richard was somebody in your psyche somewhere. Usually, my mistaken name is 'Ray', and I just let em keep on calling me that for the fun of it. But with 'Richard', I had to ask.
On what you actually said, just keep on creating your interesting stuff. I admire that you dare to be unique.

Captain_Pants 05-05-2004 03:14 PM

Ray, you are vivacious?

Roy Howell 05-05-2004 03:57 PM

Yes, Ben...and you can be too if you eat a big bowl of these every night.

Captain_Pants 05-05-2004 04:14 PM

Wow..those look really good. Albertsons carry them?

Roy Howell 05-05-2004 07:42 PM

Oh, they're worldwide, Ben.......worldwiiide.

spkguitar 05-05-2004 08:22 PM

And they are really good too... especially the hot wings flavor.

Roy Howell 05-05-2004 10:05 PM

The 'Hot Lap' link isn't working...

DR.Loop 05-05-2004 10:33 PM

Roy...thank you for talking the time to listen. I am glad you like it. I hear the slight boom from time to time also. I believe the acoustic guitar is the problem. I think maybe a little EQ will do the trick. We will be posting more songs in the future.

I enjoy your guitar playing Roy. Big fan of Z_Mudslide Blues. I hope you don't mind me jamming over the top to pratice my chops

Bob

Gene Backlin 05-06-2004 06:51 AM

Hey Roy,

I just recorded an open mic in Minnesota last weekend and here is a really neat piece featuring a flute duo, one of them being a Native American flute.

http://s94545301.onlinehome.us/music/RJ0405_19.mp3

Take Care,
Gene

Rabidium 05-06-2004 07:57 AM

Damn, Gene, that's some damn fine Flouting! Are you one of the flutterers? or that drum?

Anyway, great track, thanks for posting it, it's good to hear something so accomplished and different now and again!
-Olaf

Gene Backlin 05-06-2004 08:01 AM

Hey Olaf,

No, I was just there to record the event. The whole night was full of really accomplished musicians. I have never heard a Native American flute played before, it is quite a nice instrument....of course in the hands of a skilled musician...in my hands I could probably kill an elephant at 100 paces after the first toot !

Thank you again for listening !

Take Care,
Gene

aarontx 05-06-2004 08:04 AM

Hey all...

I'm new to the recording world... been a musician for some time but just bought an MBox to play with recording...

Here is my 1st attempt...

I used leafdrums to create the basic drum pattern; recorded the bass from my Kurzweil PC1x and the piano as well; and my solo voice as a start.

I think, if i remember, I compressed the drums a bit, added some EQ to my voice but other than that it is the live, raw tracks.

http://www.confuoco.net/music/allinall.mp3

Thanks for your constructive criticism

BTW this is not an original song, is a song that we sing on a regular basis at my church

You are my all in all by Dennis Jernigan

Aaron

Captain_Pants 05-06-2004 09:57 AM

Hey Aaron. I managed to Dload and play your song. From these little computer speakers at work, it sounds pretty good. of course, I have no bass at work, and i am A/B-ing it with a Cure CD from the early 90's, but it sounds pretty good. Did you play your music live? or is it sequenced?

Also, just out of curiousity, do you have any original music youve recorded? It would be interesting to hear.

Good Job, Keep it up.
=-Ben

Joe Evans 05-06-2004 10:29 AM

You have a very nice voice. I enjoyed listening to this. I agree with Ben, I would like to hear some originals of yours. Regarding the recording, the drums are almost inaudible. If that was your intention then no problem. I didn't know if they translated as you intended. Hope this helps.

--joe

aarontx 05-06-2004 10:35 AM

Thanks guys...

Ben, the music was recorded live... with the exception of the drums which were thru a drum machine software...

Joe, I did bring the drums down a bit just for a bit of support... I had thought about bringing them up a bit, however...

Thanks for the constructive criticism guys...

And once I get some originals online, I will definitely post them here

Aaron

Roy Howell 05-06-2004 10:48 AM

Well you guys...I'm off to do some canoeing on the Little Red River in Arkansas for the weekend. Griffin and I will canoe, and my friend who lives there will kayak with us. I'll catch up with you guys in a few days...
-Roy

pk_hat 05-06-2004 11:46 AM

Re: Mac Mixes!!!!!!!!

I have a new one called "Neuroscape"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/kroumusic.htm

cheers.

3000 05-06-2004 11:47 AM

Latest stuff!

OK, here is the link that works and goes to my files!

Also I have new power metal song:

Lost Spirits

and the previous

Hot Lap On The Wires

Enjoy!

pk_hat 05-06-2004 11:49 AM

I have a new one called "Neuroscape"

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/kroumusic.htm

Cheers!

Captain_Pants 05-06-2004 11:53 AM

Have Fun Roy. Kayaking is one of my favorite things to do. Of course, I do it oceanfront, which is a bit different than lakes. But, just as fun.