Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   More voices on LE with G4??? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=123556)

Hertz Deep 12-13-2004 06:53 PM

More voices on LE with G4???

First up, Hello all!, as this is my first post up in here.
Seems like this forum is pretty active, so hopefully one of you will be able to help.

I've read the previous related threads I can find and I realise I am limited to 32 voices with LE & Mbox,....
But I seem to be limited to only a max of 11 voices after playing with the playback settings and even then PT does not seem to play back it just stops itself.
My setup is -
Power Mac G4 Quicksilver
OSX 3
733Mhz
896MB RAM
Mbox
LE 6.4
Surely there is a way to optimise my mac to have the 32 voice limit , as if not with my current voice count I am only marginally better off than using the PT free version!

Please say someone has a fix for this?

Thanks in advance, see you all round the forum, and I'm sure I'll come up with some more taxing questions when I get into the software a bit deeper.
Pz.

yOkO 12-13-2004 07:08 PM

Re: More voices on LE with G4???

I've read the previous related threads I can find and I realise I am limited to 32 voices with LE & Mbox,....
But I seem to be limited to only a max of 11 voices after playing with the playback settings and even then PT does not seem to play back it just stops itself.
My setup is -
Power Mac G4 Quicksilver
OSX 3
733Mhz
896MB RAM
Mbox
LE 6.4

welcome.
you must be talking tracks.(you can have as much voices per track as your source can)
it depends, if you have a lot of plugins in each track,
how much cpu u're using, your buffer settings,
also for more ram it's better two 512s, or one 512, two 256s, than 512, 258, 128
but this shouldn't affect, tell more.

Hertz Deep 12-13-2004 07:23 PM

Hi Yoko,
Thanks for the RAM tip, I'll get myself a couple more 512's when I've got some more cash. (is 3 X 512's good or better just X 2?)
Anyway I am using 256 buffer and 85% CPU (highest available) but I have played around with these settings with no better results and as far as plugins go I'm hardly using anything it's basically a session recorded on a TDM system at my college that I am trying to load to finnish off at home at most it has 2 D-Verbs open I think let me check....no 1 D-Verb and 1 Click, thats it.
Please tell me I should be able to get more tracks/voices than that?
It show's loads more tracks than it will play (they are greyed out tho' and it tells me when I try and use the scrubber on them that it cannot be played because it has no active voice, but I cannot give it a voice unless I delete tracks that are palying?
Am I making sense?

yOkO 12-13-2004 07:30 PM

save your session as save sesion copy in, and try taking up the buffer, first 512 and try, then 1024
it´s strange the plugins show up, what hdpt version you have in school_

Hertz Deep 12-13-2004 07:36 PM

Not sure off the top of my head which version it is as we have a mixture of TDM and LE systems throughout the different studios there.
Do you mean save the session file again then change the buffer size? or change it then save?

Oh yeah and it seems to be having trouble finding and re-linking a lot of files, but I copied the whole session folder to my Lacie firewire drive and thats where I'm trying to open it from, don't know if this might be related?

yOkO 12-13-2004 08:02 PM

the buffer size, you can change when you want,
also if you have 11 stereos ,then you allready have 22 channels
you´re talking audio channels.

Hertz Deep 12-13-2004 08:08 PM

I definately only have 11 mono, and it shows all the channels but won't let me assign a voice to the greyed out tracks.
Just ried what you said and it still won't activate the grey ones...I don't know.
Gotta hit the sack now, been up with this getting nowhere fast for too long.
Thanks for the help, if you think of anything else post it here and i will check back tomorrow.

Bhennies 12-13-2004 10:47 PM

on my old dual 500 g4, I was able to get to 32 tracks even with some heavy plugs. At 1024 buffer of course. I'm not sure why you're having that problem but you should be able to do better than that as a 733 is all in all probably equal to if not faster than a dual 500 (I also had 896 RAM).

tele_player 12-13-2004 11:02 PM

The track (voice) count isn't limited by your CPU speed or amount of RAM. The session may not run if the CPU is too slow, but you'll be able to get 32 voices.
I don't know what, but there's something else going on here.

There's no need to add RAM, 896 is plenty for what you're trying to do, and more won't help.

Phil71 12-13-2004 11:08 PM

I think you're missing what PT is trying to tell you. The reason those voices are greyed out is because your mbox only has outputs 1&2 available, and the TDM session probably had 8 at the very least.
A quick test of this is to go to any tracks i/o assignment section... hold option and choose "output 1&2". All tracks will now play back through the only available outputs.
You're not hitting a processor bottleneck, your existing session is merely trying to access outputs that aren't there on your LE rig.