Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   A little iLok adventure... (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=299699)

audiofp 04-22-2011 11:32 AM

A little iLok adventure...

Dear Mr. Cronce:

I hope you are the person that can help me.

I recently purchased a new Pace iLok 2. I've had the original iLok for many years but, according to all the advertising, the new one is smaller and more durable. I have a Pro Tools setup at my home and at my commercial studio and I take the iLok with me wherever I go. After a little over one month's use, the plastic keychain loop broke. It wasn't getting heavy use- it was in my pocket. The data is fine but the defective plastic doesn't make me happy.

I can't find anywhere on your site that deals specifically with the warranty. Trying to get it replaced through your website's RA Department ends up with me having to re-purchase ZDT coverage. The ZDT covers data (which is intact) and shouldn't apply here. I'm just trying to get the defective unit replaced per the warranty terms. I have my old iLok to store data until I receive a new one.

If you're not the right person please forward this to the person who handles warranty transactions.

Thank you,
Fred Porter

Hello Fred,

I can definitely forward this to our RMA department for you. To ensure I relay accurate information, the loop opposite to the USB connector on the iLok has been broken? And the iLok does still work? If you could attach a picture that would be most appreciated, but if not as long as you confirm I have a clear understanding of the problem that would work as well.

Generally speaking, RMA orders do not require Zero Downtime coverage. It is optional.

In this case since you have moved your licenses to another iLok, there is no reason to have ZDT since you still have access to the licenses. When you submit an RMA order for a broken iLok, we authorize your credit card (not charge) and send you a replacement iLok immediately. If the RMA is under warranty when we receive it, we process the RMA order without charging your credit card. The authorization will most likely show as a "pending" transaction, but will not remove funds from your account. If the iLok is not under warranty, we then charge the RMA fee at the completion of the RMA order.

Please let me know if you have any questions on this process. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Sam
iLok.com Technical Support

Sam:

Thanks for the quick response. Here is a picture of the iLok. Will you send me something for the RA or is there a page where I can initiate the RA on your site? If so, what is that page? Do I need to get all licenses off the broken iLok before starting the process?

Sincerely,
Fred Porter

Hello Fred,

Thank you for the picture of the iLok. iLok.com specifically excludes physically damaged iLoks from being eligible for warranty replacement. So unfortunately in this case the iLok would not be covered by our warranty. However, if you would still like to replace the iLok you can purchase an iLok and move the licenses over from the damaged iLok.

Best Regards,
Sam
iLok.com Technical Support

Sam:

I missed your reply. I've had my first generation iLok for many years and experienced no problems whatsoever. I saw your iLok 2 marketing, touting a unit that, among other things, is smaller and "more durable." The thing falls apart within a month and you tell me you won't replace it.

I'm an old musician (60 years) and constantly amazed at business practices in today's world. You get a chance to do the right thing and replace a two dollar item and you blow it. Monopolies turn otherwise reasonable people into thieves and con artists. I guess it starts at the top. I'd love to give that guy a piece of my mind but your website makes it clear you don't want to hear from your customers (loyal or otherwise.)

Thank you so much for your excellent support. I'll let Avid know how pleased I am.

Sincerely,
Fred Porter

Obsidian Dragon 04-22-2011 01:58 PM

Re: A little iLok adventure...

I remeber your original thread on this issue. I'm glad you posted this exchange with an iLok representative. Although I must say that I'm not surprised at the response, it does go to show how they treat their customers. You are correct that this would have only cost them the price of a new iLok (retail around $49.00) and shipping. Instead they have this post on the DUC to forever show the shame of their business policies.

Top Jimmy 04-22-2011 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon (Post 1785679)
...to forever show the shame of their business policies.

I think this would be more properly classified under marketing. I too read reviews and marketing claims of the new iLok being more robust. Then I got one in my hand and could see for myself that these claims were untrue.

http://consumerist.com/2008/08/why-d...rchandise.html

allstaar 04-22-2011 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofp (Post 1785608)

iLok.com specifically excludes physically damaged iLoks from being eligible for warranty replacement.

The way that's worded suggests they don't think there was anything defective with the manufacture of the iLok, more a case that it broke from being used beyond it's intended purpose.

Seems from what Fred said though that the keychain loop broke under normal use. This would make the design not fit for it's intended purpose and should definitely be covered by warranty imo.

sunburst79 04-22-2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 1785692)
I think this would be more properly classified under marketing. I too read reviews and marketing claims of the new iLok being more robust. Then I got one in my hand and could see for myself that these claims were untrue.

http://consumerist.com/2008/08/why-d...rchandise.html

I hate cheap crap. Unfortunately in this case we have no choice as to the vendor. Breakage due to poor design or construction is not physical abuse in my opinion. I like the new iLok for a lot of reasons. Size, capacity and looks but I think the old one was a lot more robust than the new one. I'd like to see them do a video hitting the iLok V2 with a hammer;)

Benoni 04-22-2011 03:27 PM

Sorry to hear OP, but thats just what I would expect from a cartel like PACE. Of course they dont cover physical damage, even if just for 30 to 60 days, because they know what they make is complete crap. It probably costs them all of $3 to make an iLok and ship it to you.

Its understandable not to cover physical damage caused by mis-use, but when it just falls apart from what would be considered normal use (and you can point to their youtube videos that show the "durability" of the iLok as proof that your iLok was defective) that should be covered for at least 30 days.

I have multiple iLoks and multiple accounts, I like the "idea" of an iLok to keep licenses easily organized and accessible, but their policies miss the mark completely. They treat paying customers as thieves from day one.

Ilok is supposed to protect the licenses you paid for, but they do not, they state in several places that they CAN delete your account at anytime, with no liability, and for any reason, including if you make posts on web forums that portray PACE in a negative light! So i suggest you do not use the same email for your iLok accounts as your forum accounts. In order for you to have immediate access to your paid for licenses if your iLok fails, you are still not protected unless you pay MORE money for ZDT, well why they hell do they think we use an iLok in the first place, so we can lose our licenses?

If your iLok is stolen... you are SOL, you are presumed guilty with no way to prove innocence.

Ilok is supposed to protect the Intellectual Property of Software manufactures, it does not.

So if iLok claims to provide protection for End Users and Manufactures, but fails miserably on both counts.... why do manufactures still employ these clowns?

The answer is money and bad laws. It is cheaper for manufactures to let iLok take on the liability of authorizations, and because iLok is a 3rd party.... they do not have the same responsibilities that a manufacturer would.

So its a complicated problem, the best solution is a true free market. In a true free market, iLok would be forced to change its policies or go out of business since there would be so many more options, that cater to each individuals own interest, prices would drop, service would be better, and end users and manufactures would both benefit in a REAL free market that empowers individuals and manufactures with the wonders of free trade, not the welfare, protectionist capitalism we have today.

Obsidian Dragon 04-22-2011 03:32 PM

I'm assuming Mr. Porter put his Ilok2 on his keychain (put the security loop/slot onto the keyring) as people normally do with their keys. I did not see the pictures but it sounds like the plastic broke and the security slot broke off. This make me think, what if someone were to secure their Ilok2 with a standard computer locking cable while it was inserted to the studio computer. A would be thief could simply break off the iLok2 since the loop is simply plastic and breakable. I would have thought that there was a steel reinforcement inside to prevent this. Am I wrong?

Neesley 04-22-2011 03:49 PM

A little protection goes a long way...

After constantly worrying about leaving my iLok at a remote location (senioritis) I did the following: (In 2004)

1) attached a 10" USB extension cable to the iLok (wrote down the serial number et al before step 2)

2) encased the result in a candy tin and wrapped it all in bright pink tape

Now it's protected AND visible. I can always see in a gig bag.

If the connector is broken, it's on the USB extension cable not the iLok. I could probably hit it with a small hammer...

http://gallery.me.com/neesley#100011

I mean, we've all got thousands of $$$ invested in the software plug-ins tied to our iLok, and now PT9 itself, so we should take some precautions.

Obsidian Dragon 04-22-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neesley (Post 1785724)
1) attached a 10" USB extension cable to the iLok (wrote down the serial number et al before step 2)

I'm imagining trying to pull that thing out of my carry-on bag on an airplane. A home-made candy tin wrapped in tape with a 10" wire coming out of it. I doubt it would even make it across the xray machine.:D

sunburst79 04-22-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neesley (Post 1785724)
A little protection goes a long way...

After constantly worrying about leaving my iLok at a remote location (senioritis) I did the following: (In 2004)

Now it's protected AND visible. I can always see in a gig bag.

If the connector is broken, it's on the USB extension cable not the iLok. I could probably hit it with a small hammer...

http://gallery.me.com/neesley#100011

I mean, we've all got thousands of $$$ invested in the software plug-ins tied to our iLok, and now PT9 itself, so we should take some precautions.

Stunning! ;) But its probably not anything you want dangling from your key ring ;). The way I read this was that the OP had carried his previous iLok this way for years.