Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Can I compete with 1 synth & 1 drum VI? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=219808)

Chris 04-14-2008 01:59 AM

Can I compete with 1 synth & 1 drum VI?

I am not familiar with any "Virtual Instruments". Is it reasonable to expect to compete professionally with only one synth and one drum virtual instrument program as well as one library for each? I have owned an Emulator II and still own an EIII and EIV with several thousand dollars worth of libraries. I recently got Apple Logic Studio though I have not gotten any further than installing it. Upgrading from OS9 and a Power Tower Pro 200 has been very difficult for me. This system is a Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 12 GB of 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM RAM. I have 2 internal 750 gig hard drives as well as four external firewire 800 hard drives two of which are 500 gig, a 300 gig and a 250 gig. I have a Pro Tools HD2 Accel system with a 192 and a Midi I/O. I think I need to answer the "how many programs" first. If the answer is yes, I only need one of each (a drum and a synth) then my next question is what programs should I purchase? The characteristics I would like to see in these products in order of importance would be: I want it to be reliable, fast to learn and sound good. Then I want this program or programs and their libraries to likely be compatible or upgradeable for a long time.
It was suggested to me to look at BFD and DRUMCORE. Last night I looked at Drum Core first and thought it was ok and then looked at BFD and was absolutely amazed. I believe I can only think of one session I have ever worked on that sounded better. I looked at the system requirements. They seemed a bit steep, but I would get whatever was needed. I just am not willing to monkey around with computer settings when its time to make music. I want to have enough power to not have to think about adjustments during a session. That's why I got TDM to start with. Maybe I need a second computer to run these “Virtual Instruments”. That’s ok as long as things work correctly when I finish my initial purchasing.
Can anybody direct me as to what to buy?
I used to do mainly symphonic stuff, now I do anything. Many of my clients live paycheck to paycheck. I’m recording every form of music there is (is rap music?)…But that doesn’t change my personal need to put out a good project with good sound or I couldn’t enjoy my work.

Christopher Kimball
C.K.'s Musical Workshop
4090 West Eaglerock Drive
Wenatchee, WA 98801

509-667-0648
[email protected]

crizdee 04-14-2008 02:21 AM

Re: Can I compete with 1 synth & 1 drum VI?

Hi,

Check out all the AIR (Advanced instrument research) they are Digidesign's own VI's so should tick your boxes for reliability and future updates/upgrades.

XPAND "sound module type" is free!! see your local dealer are you can probably order the disk from the digi store for a small fee.

Structure "sampler"
Hybrid "synth"
Velvet "piano"
Strike "drums"

You'll find them in the plugins section!...
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...id=115&mkt=all

also the box set here for about $980.....
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...282&ref=vibs-f

Chris

Sonny Keyes 04-14-2008 07:30 AM

You may have all you need already in your Logic Pro package. It might be worth while to spend an afternoon searching the DUC for Logic-related posts to see how other users have combined the strengths of Logic and Pro Tools. I have them on one computer and use them one at a time, exporting my Logic tracks to Pro Tools for mixing when I'm happy with them, but you might prefer a different setup, such as running Logic on a second machine.

Logic has a whole raft of synths, drum loops, a robust sampler with large libraries as well as libraries of preset combinations of these. The only contradiction to your list of requirements might be the 'fast to learn' requirement, but the extra couple of weeks of experimentation could prove very valuable in the long run.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto

brianjanthony 04-14-2008 11:32 AM

I'd Check out Addictive Drums over BFD. If only because every time I turn around, people are having probs with BFD and the new setups. I'm sure it will all iron out eventually. But AD has never crashed my computer or held up a session. And it's the easiest interface ever (hmmmm BFD 2 now looks eerily similar). Strike and AD are fine for me, though I have more probs with Strike.

Between Xpand and Virus Indigo TDM, I've got most synthy sounds covered. Kontakt 2 or Structure work as Samplers.

And I have a lowly Mac PPC Dual 2.0 Ghz. I can run 2-3 strike, 1-2 Addictive Drums, 4-5 Xpands and a Virus or 2 without much problems.