Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   PT on two screens (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=413363)

Talisker 12-26-2020 04:27 AM

PT on two screens

Just got PT 2020 after many years with PT 10. So I got a lot of little issues. One is this : I am using two screens an when I saved a session in PT 10 with one edit window screen and one mix window screen, it came up like that when I opened it the next time. PT 2020 doesn't do that yet....what am I doing wrong ?
thanx in advance.

JoelG 12-26-2020 05:23 AM

Re: PT on two screens

Have you extended the main PT window accross both screens? You should still be able to set up your windows in this way. There shouldn't be any change in the process.

Joel

Talisker 12-26-2020 05:40 AM

I have an edit and a mix window...what is the main window ? Sorry, if this is a silly question.

albee1952 12-26-2020 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talisker (Post 2588471)
I have an edit and a mix window...what is the main window ? Sorry, if this is a silly question.

Since the OP is on a Mac, this might not be the issue(us Windows users deal with some less-than-friendly graphics limitations):o

Talisker 01-04-2021 06:23 AM

Really...nobody can help ? If old PT 10 sessions opened in PT 2020 are immediately set up for two screens like intended so the needed information even translates to PT 2020 and new sessions are not, which is the bit of information that is missing in the new sessions ?

crizdee 01-04-2021 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talisker (Post 2589325)
Really...nobody can help ? If old PT 10 sessions opened in PT 2020 are immediately set up for two screens like intended so the needed information even translates to PT 2020 and new sessions are not, which is the bit of information that is missing in the new sessions ?

Hi,

so you have mix on one screen and the edit window on another screen. but on 2020 when you open the session they are both on the same monitor and not on separate monitors. and if you then correct this by placing them on separate monitors it doesn't stick when you re-open the session?

What if you save it as a windows configuration? does it then recall it correct?

Chris

Lynn Gräber 01-04-2021 07:01 AM

Right click on the PT icon on your dock and set it to "all desktops".

paul_g 01-04-2021 08:13 AM

I don't understand the question. I have sessions done that were started on 9.x, and 10.3 that were on a 15 year old iMac with a second very old monitor. That computer and monitor are long gone. Just got a brand new iMac and new LG 27" IPS screen. Opened them up, and yes, the two windows were in the same window. Once I arranged everything and "saved", they now open up perfectly fine.

No functionality between older versions and newer versions regarding screen layout has changed

Talisker 01-04-2021 08:35 AM

@crizdee: no, again: the old sessions from the old PT work perfectly in 2020 with Edit and Mix on seperate screen.
But if I make a new session in 2020 it always comes up on one screen. So the old sessions must have a bit of information that the new ones don't have. And no, window confiig also does not work.

@ Lynn Gräber...thanx for the hint, didn't work, either.

@ Paul G read the above maybe then you'll understand. I have no problem with old sessions I have a problem with sessions, I create now in 2020......got it ??

crizdee 01-04-2021 10:30 AM

Hi,

Are you opening new sessions from a template or just booting up pro tools from default?

If you save a new session as template then use that to start new sessions does it stick?

Chris