Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Can someone answer this please? About deleting files from regions list. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=47632)

dkrausz 08-05-2002 09:19 PM

Can someone answer this please? About deleting files from regions list.

I cannot *delete* files from regions bin that are;

1. Imported "added" into session after bounce.
2. Imported "added" into session from ANY location.

I guess it’s normal that you can’t delete files that are "added" into the session rather than copied into?

Same goes for naming regions and disc files. You can't rename a disc file if it was "added" to the session…? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Please clarify? Hope I'm making sense.

dk

Ben Jenssen 08-06-2002 06:26 AM

Re: Can someone answer this please? About deleting files from regions list.

Quote:

Originally posted by dkrausz:
I guess it’s normal that you can’t delete files that are "added" into the session rather than copied into?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I didnt know about this, but it seems very natural that you cant delete an audio file that has been created in another sessions audio folder. It could be in use in its original session.

dkrausz 08-06-2002 07:15 AM

Ok, seems sorta' logical I guess… But I wonder why we cannot delete files that are created in the same session's Audio Folder; i.e. ones that are bounced to disc?

dk

Chompers 08-06-2002 07:37 AM

Normally you can delete files that fit into his description. IT would be helpfull if Pro Tools actually had some of the features in those catagories, but it doesnt.
Are you sure you are choosing an audio file and not an audio region. You can not delete a region from the HD, cause it is just a reference to an actuall file. You can remove it from the list, but not delete it.
Im betting that this is the case.

dkrausz 08-06-2002 09:22 AM

Quote:

Normally you can delete files that fit into his description.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Normally?? …really,

I really can't though. I did numerous tests with bouncing to disc-> importing after bounce (multi mono, same sample rate, bit depth and file type, current session audio folder as target). Could someone try this same procedure and let me know if you get the same result?

Quote:

Are you sure you are choosing an audio file and not an audio region.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes. Absolutely…

Quote:

You can not delete a region from the HD, cause it is just a reference to an actual file.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes thanks, but I do know that.

I just need to know if this is the norm or some kind of glitch. It's a pain to have to delete these files by dragging them to the trash from the folder. I would think that a "whole file" region created within the current session to it's native folder could be deleted from within the program, no?

Thanks,

dk

dkrausz 08-06-2002 09:28 AM

...oh yes, I did do the "hat-trick". You know, trash prefs, yadda, yadda... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

dk

Chompers 08-06-2002 11:17 AM

Just did the same...
I CAN delete the file. Just like any other.
IT is an odd issue you are facing.

CAn you delete ANY files from your bin?
Is the drive that contains the files an inernal, scsi,..etc..?

What about consolidating a file, after the new file is created, can you delete that?

lynxxx 08-06-2002 01:21 PM

I am perplexed by this. Why are you deleting files/what is it that you are trying to do? If you are trying to consolidate and finish off a session take a look at this:
Consolidate and re-name track regions (using a space or numbers in front to delineate final track names and bring to top of file). Close session. Open audio folder and drag all files other than the newly named active session files into the trash. Open session again and when window appears asking "where is Audio file 1-00"(example) choose "Skip all". Session opens and all other files are now gone.
Note: There is something that can cause some unused regions to remain in the Audio file window in Edit Window. Choosing Select Unused =Regions and then Clear Selected from Audio window bar and then deleting individually per prompts will remove these.
If this is your objective this should get it. Or maybe you are attempting something else. Just thought I'd take a stab at it since it's still unresolved.

Nocturnal 08-06-2002 03:57 PM

Slightly OT but I just want to make sure Digi is changing the default to COPY rater than ADD in the import menu for the next version of Protools

Whats the point of add?

Maybe I am missing something???- I hate having to click with the mouse on Copy - I want to press the enter key. I always press enter then realise I need to copy but have used add instead - then I have to start again and try and remember which audio files I wanted to copy
[img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

err! Does that make sense?

Nocturnal

dkrausz 08-06-2002 04:32 PM

Ok then. I'm scoring for a film right now. I've created a template with about 50 individual cues that I have written for the project along with maybe 30 different sweep fx, 30 or 40 special fx and "hits", dozens of pads, test tones white noise, plus numerous versions and components of those cues. You name it , it's ALL in the bin. Around 200 or so "whole stereo files". All in one folder for the Project sessions.

So right now, I'm cutting to picture. If I need it, I drag it in, spot it then cut it for time or whatever. I'm scoring to the Beta in aprox. 15 minute sections. Anyway, I end up with very large and complex sessions. So, to keep the bin under control, I often do the "select unused regions except whole files" command and hit "remove".

The problem is that I need to bounce large sections of these session to disc so that the Avid editor (after importing them to her station) can screen them and still be able to slide stuff around if she needs to. After discussing stuff with the editor about changes, I need to go back and make those changes to those sections of the session, bounce those new versions to disc and bring them back over again. After a while, I start ending up with a whole lot of bounced files on my HD. And their really big ones. As large as 450 megs sometimes.

It's just a pain to have to stop… hide LE… drill down to root folder… find files… move to trash… empty the trash… go back to work.

Just messes up the work flow and seems silly to do that when a delete function is already present in the application.

If it's in the bin, I want to be able to delete it. Simple...

dk