Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2018 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157)
-   -   Gain plugin and RMS calculation (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=401305)

dhlovett 10-01-2018 03:56 PM

Gain plugin and RMS calculation

Why does AudioSuite's "Gain" plugin produce an analysis that is so low when compared to that of other plugins and other software? Is it due to a difference in internal RMS parameters such as gating? If so what parameters does Gain use for its analysis?

Thank you for any help you can offer for what I'm sure is a very basic question. I have a project which has an RMS stipulation for the output, and I'm trying to understand what I'm seeing from the various tools available to me.

Humbly,
David

originalscottyg 10-02-2018 09:52 AM

Re: Gain plugin and RMS calculation

I believe there may be a bug related to the "handle" setting in the lower right corner of the Audiosuite plugin. Make sure to set that to 0.00, or it will take the handle length into account in the RMS analysis, which will throw off the reading.

Farhoof 10-08-2018 03:18 AM

It's a different definition of 0dB RMS. The difference is 3(.01)dB.
AES standard: 0dBFS sine wave = 0dB RMS
ITU standard: 0dBFS square wave = 0dB RMS

Protools is using the ITU standard so it reads lower compared to some other software.

dhlovett 10-25-2018 02:43 PM

Thank you so much for the explanation. I wound up assuming something like that, but your confirmation is greatly appreciated for the next time this comes up.

David

innerbooty 06-07-2021 09:15 AM

I have a similar situation to the original poster. I'm used to mixing / mastering music based on the usual Volume Wars / streaming loudness parameters. But I have a bunch of audiobook masters I need to deliver between -24dB to -14dB RMS. I had never known about or used the Gain Audiosuite plugin before, so this is great. But do I infer from some of the above comments that the Gain plugin RMS reading is 3(.01)dB lower than the more commonly used standard for calculating RMS? I can always just shoot for -18dB and be in the ballpark I guess, with 3dB margin for error on either side . But would love any tips or suggestions. Thanks!!

The Weed 06-07-2021 10:43 AM

You may want to invest in this.

innerbooty 06-07-2021 11:15 AM

Thanks. Downloaded the Nugen VisLM trial, and between that and the Gain Audiosuite plugin I'm just going for it, trying to shoot in between -24 and -14. From Googling around a bit, it seems that requesting RMS specs without specifying which standard is basically providing incomplete specs... But what do I know? Usually I'm just trying to make stuff loud!