Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Mbox Pro - anyone bought one yet? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=177929)

mrtunes 09-26-2006 12:14 AM

Mbox Pro - anyone bought one yet?

Am I missing something, but I can't find a thread on the new mbox pro running on windows xp!
Anyone bought one yet? I'm curious if it's stable and reliable.

jsmooth226 09-26-2006 08:28 AM

Re: Mbox Pro - anyone bought one yet?

very stable and the sound quality is better than the 002 very nice box...it also allows you to record in from other programs but they crippled the monitoring so you can't hear what you are recording...but recording into something like wavelab and watching you levels you get a great quality recording...one other drawback is it is not firewire powered from laptop firewire port...it needs a six pin connection and even using a firewire card won't work because it uses the pci bus which doesn't send power...so you have to plug it in when using a laptop making it not a truely portable solution

mrtunes 09-26-2006 08:46 AM

better than the digi002 sound? wow! can you be more descriptive about how it's better? i could see that since they've had a few years to play around with the preamps and whatnot. the digi002 is getting old these days.

the only thing that the mbox pro is missing for me is ADAT for possibly hooking up other mic pres in the future.

does it work with djing programs for alternative cue mixes? (ableton live is one?).. see the first mbox only lets you run one output at a time so even though there's a spdif out you cant use that output alongside the main output.

does the mbox pro work with windows programs like skype? the first mbox cant access those drivers.

jsmooth226 09-27-2006 11:43 AM

yes you can run multiple outputs..ie...selection menu digi 1-2, digi 3-4, digi 5-6 and spidif

jsmooth226 09-27-2006 11:48 AM

it sounds more dynamic and in you face...stereo image is alot better ...and more pristine also rate shows past 96hz all the way to 384hz but if you select higher it says no compatable device found...maybe something for the future also when recording into wavelab i could do 96hz and 32bit floating point

boombatz 09-27-2006 01:55 PM

I've been using it for almost a week. It appears to be very stable (make sure you download the latest "r" release from digi. I think it sounds very good. I have used the 002R and older Mbox before, but I can't really give you definitive A/B because I don't have them side by side. but suffice to say, it sounds good for recording acoustic guitar. I don't know if these are the same pre's but they sound good to my ears. Several new features. It's powered by the firewire port (you need the six pin, I think), or external power, small footprint, and looks well made. I like it.

mrtunes 09-27-2006 02:07 PM

hey thanks guys for responding. i'm more concerned with stability personally, but great to know the sound quality is good here. i found with my old mbox v1 that if you're not running it on a good PC you have to settle for horrible latency to get it sounding stable. also with my laptop the 6400 most firewire interfaces dont work well(such as the m-audio series). maybe this one will work for it?

dubhausdisco1 09-28-2006 03:34 PM

Quote:

it sounds more dynamic and in you face...stereo image is alot better ...and more pristine also rate shows past 96hz all the way to 384hz but if you select higher it says no compatable device found...maybe something for the future also when recording into wavelab i could do 96hz and 32bit floating point

For information on the myths of digital audio, try www.digido.com ................

LoZion 10-01-2006 12:49 PM

bumpity