Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   VENUE Live Sound Systems (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   AVB-E card for Windows (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=366644)

maunaloa 04-07-2015 11:46 PM

AVB-E card for Windows

Forgive the dupe posting, but in case you are not following the AVB for Win thread in the S3 subforum, I installed the newly released Intel I210T1 AVB-E nic in my Win host (see sig). Installation went smoothly, driver downloaded from Intel site (no CD shipped with nic). The S3 control surface worked through the nic with a crossover Cat 6 cable, and through a plain ethernet switch. What was/is missing in the Windows world is glue software between the nic and ASIO. I have both MS native ASIO and ASIO4ALL. I installed MOTU's AVB driver for Windows... no joy. So, I'll post a request in Ideascale for Avid to develop an AVB driver for Windows so that owners of S3's and S3L's can use AVB to link the I/O in the S3 with the host. I assume that some Venue users are on Win hosts, but don't really know.

The Intel I210T1 nic costs about $80 and is a PCIe 1X device. It ships with both tall and short brackets. Last year, AVB-E nics were in the $800 range.

Please VOTE for an AVB driver for Windows in Ideascale.

Amplitude 04-08-2015 01:36 AM

Re: AVB-E card for Windows

there should actually ALREADY be an avb driver from avid for windows. I mean, the E3 for the S3L Venue systems do run Win8....

Kristo Kotkas 04-08-2015 01:17 PM

AFAIK AVB driver in Apple computers are Apple drivers, not Avid's.

Valentyn 04-08-2015 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amplitude (Post 2251603)
there should actually ALREADY be an avb driver from avid for windows. I mean, the E3 for the S3L Venue systems do run Win8....

E3 uses separate hardware to talk AVB, not any PC add-on board.

maunaloa 04-08-2015 04:27 PM

I was under the impression that the E3 engine runs an embedded OS. (Is it embedded Windows? IDK. It's not embedded OS X since Apple doesn't license OS X.) The HDX cards in an E3 chassis are PCIe. The OS in an E-3 must have glue SW between the OS and the AVB port even if the AVB port is surface mount. The AVB port in the S-3, E-3, and stage boxes may, in fact, be a surface mount Intel I210, which are quite common in newer mobos. The surface mount AVB port probably uses PCIe lanes for data channels, and if so, the recoding for a Windows host is simply adapting the OS end of the channel.

Valentyn 04-10-2015 02:39 PM

E3 runs Windows Embedded, but audio doesn't go through Windows (except for USB record and playback). Bare Windows in not a real-time OS, so time-critical things like live audio processing cannot happen on it. It would be just not reliable. In E3, audio reaches HDX through a different path.

maunaloa 04-10-2015 03:15 PM

"bare windows" means Windows Embedded?
New term for me.

RyanJ 04-10-2015 03:55 PM

I do believe what Valentyn is saying there is that windows, on it's own, "bare" is not a real time engine.

maunaloa 04-10-2015 04:00 PM

Thx for the clarification. I was confused since Win 8 Embedded 8.0 Standard, 8.1 Pro, and 8.1 Industry are all realtime OS's.

Any idea which Windows Embedded is used in the E3 engine?

In any event, Avid has written (or updated Euphonix') Windows driver for AVB. This obviates my Ideascale suggestion to write such a driver....it's already written.

Bruce, Sheldon, or other mod.... could you put "porting the Windows Embedded driver for AVB" into the product plan for S3 Studio.

Valentyn 04-11-2015 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanJ (Post 2252609)
I do believe what Valentyn is saying there is that windows, on it's own, "bare" is not a real time engine.

Yes, exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maunaloa (Post 2252613)
Thx for the clarification. I was confused since Win 8 Embedded 8.0 Standard, 8.1 Pro, and 8.1 Industry are all realtime OS's.

Any idea which Windows Embedded is used in the E3 engine?

It's not a secret - you can quit VENUE (Exit to Desktop) and see the OS - it's Windows Embedded Standard. As of different WinE editions - it's just MS marketing. If fact, they try to sell two completely different OSes (Windows and Windows CE) under the same brand:
  • Windows Embedded Standard - a modular version of desktop Windows
  • Windows Embedded Professional - previous name of what is now Windows Embedded Standard
  • Windows Embedded Industry/Windows Embedded POSReady - Windows Embedded Standard for POS terminals
  • Windows Embedded Compact - Windows CE, now renamed
  • Windows Embedded NAVReady - Windows CE for navigation devices
  • Windows Embedded Automotive - Windows CE for automotive
  • Windows Embedded Handheld - based on Windows CE, similar to Windows Mobile
  • Windows Embedded Server - Windows Server for embedded use

Desktop/Server Windows is not a real-time OS. Windows CE is a real-time OS.