Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

IntelDoc 05-06-2005 10:59 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

No my experimentation goes beyond that... Just too hot going in, and I need to not hype my room which as Cavell and I have talked I am doing. Just running things in too hot. Going to test some things this weekend.

- Doc

tempest18 05-06-2005 11:08 AM

Hey Doc,

I think the mix is quite good. The guitars work well. I think I'd leave the vocals where they are, as I dont think louder vocals are suited to that kind of song. The only thing that bothers me is the snare, its not the ringing but the sound of the snare itself. It sounds too little and I dont think it fits in with the style of song. It doesnt have enough beef for my taste but each to their own. Thats more preference than anything else.

How did you record it? Maybe it just needs to be a little more upfront.

Chris Tempest

IntelDoc 05-06-2005 11:35 AM

Chris,
I agree with the snare, and will tweek it, again this was a rough mix. The guitars are cut for the first 30 seconds which you will hear. The rest of it has not been cut. I need more snap, and more kick. The snare is HOT HOT HOT as Cavell can attest to. He is looking at some stuff for me to isolate some issues I am having. I tend to record stuff HOT to get a sound that I desire. The snare is HOT!!!!! kick is TOO HOT!

Here is what the kit looked like in my little drum room.

DRUMS

typical 57 into the X73i, 11776 and then to the Apogee Rosetta 800.

May try to use a dup track with sound replacer and add a pop.... Gate may help too.

- Doc

tempest18 05-06-2005 12:39 PM

Quote:

Chris,
I agree with the snare, and will tweek it, again this was a rough mix. The guitars are cut for the first 30 seconds which you will hear. The rest of it has not been cut. I need more snap, and more kick. The snare is HOT HOT HOT as Cavell can attest to. He is looking at some stuff for me to isolate some issues I am having. I tend to record stuff HOT to get a sound that I desire. The snare is HOT!!!!! kick is TOO HOT!

Here is what the kit looked like in my little drum room.

DRUMS

typical 57 into the X73i, 11776 and then to the Apogee Rosetta 800.

May try to use a dup track with sound replacer and add a pop.... Gate may help too.

- Doc

I wish I had half the gear you've got!

I would love to be able to record drums for all my tunes but I just dont have the equip or space.

I think the guitars sound great. I just dont know about the snare. In a lot of todays modern rock songs the snares sound almost like sample snares rather than real recordings. Its very good for a rough mix BTW.

Take Dave Matthews Band for example " American Baby" That snare to me sounds nice and has a sample like quality but how do they process it to get that kinda sound?

I think gating it may work. I'm not sure what else to try. I'll look forward to hearing the tweaked version.

As for recording hot, When I crank my penta up, it just sounds crappy lol. Damn Focusrite and their cheap crap! I need a good pre but student times are hard.

I think i'll go record something now since I'm in the mood.

Chris Tempest

superpenguin79 05-06-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

No my experimentation goes beyond that... Just too hot going in, and I need to not hype my room which as Cavell and I have talked I am doing. Just running things in too hot. Going to test some things this weekend.

- Doc

Doc: very cool, you just hitting the red too much with the levels then? yeah, weekends are always good for testing. You getting outta the Mothers day brewha this weekend man?

Quote:

Headin' out to go canoeing in Arkansas on the Little Red River...you guys have a good weekend.

-Roy

Hey Roy, have fun canoeing man!

doylemusic 05-06-2005 09:04 PM

Ok fellas....here are a couple tunes I just finished up for a local band. They jut wanted to get a quick demo together, so we didn't spend a ton if time (9 hrs tracking plus mix/master). I think it turned out pretty good for my first "rock" mix. I think the cymbals get a little loud, but all in all not bad. Let me know what you think.

Flying

Eye For An Eye

Voideco 05-07-2005 03:01 AM

he Doyle,

Flying sounds all balanced to me, cymbals not too dominant. Good guitarwork from the guy.

Hopping to Eye for an Eye now, I like the phazer over the guitar, all in all very vivid music. Good work from the band and the mixes sound balanced to me.

Walther

Voideco

doylemusic 05-07-2005 07:53 AM

Voideco

Thanks for listening and for the comments.

bigbubbaj 05-07-2005 08:21 AM

Doyle-

Sounds good. Like the cymbals. If you want a few "rock" suggestions shoot me an email! Talented guys!

-Justin

IntelDoc 05-07-2005 06:15 PM

Here is another acoustic gig by my old client. Did this on the other night. Nice tune, and I think it turned out pretty cool. We will add drums later on.

LONELY

Same technique as the song RAIN a few posts back. Just not as HOT as I have been doing lately.

- Doc