Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   to iLok or not to iLok this is the question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=161044)

JohnnyW 02-18-2006 07:03 PM

to iLok or not to iLok this is the question

So, there are 4 options that try to load every time I start PT. of which it states that I need the iLok in order to use the plugin options. Well, I'm not familiar with what they do or if I'll want to use them so my question- Is it worth purchasing the iLok for 40 bucks and registering to get those items? I see there are several options that require an iLok in order to use. Are these licences expensive? Is this something I'm going to want to mess with or is it going to be a pain in the ass as well. thanks!

bb_aus 02-18-2006 07:05 PM

Re: to iLok or not to iLok this is the question

if you want to use the plug-ins you have to have an ilok
so get an ilok, the question is answered
there is no problems with them aslong as your system is setup correctly

theoneandonlyone 02-18-2006 07:32 PM

I have not had a problem with using an Ilok with my system. You have to use one for some software. I dont feel hampered by it so to speak.
Nick

dubhausdisco1 02-18-2006 08:00 PM

The ilok is the most sensible, convinient(don't own waves plugs, so not a problem), smartest, and definitly most transparent copy protection EVER. Period.
I bought mine from ilok.com, and I did'nt realize the discount when yu order from the digistore... oh well.
People DO have problems with them, of course, but every computer is unique and hence they are unpredictable.

Hope that helps!

spkguitar 02-18-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

The ilok is the most sensible, convinient(don't own waves plugs, so not a problem), smartest, and definitly most transparent copy protection EVER. Period.

I whole-heartedly agree. I wish all of my authorizations were on it.

ejwells 02-19-2006 04:01 AM

The fact of the matter is that most good sounding plugins (waves, mcdsp, antares, etc) REQUIRE an iLok.
The choice is pretty clear.
If you want to use quality plugins, you need an iLok.
I've never met anyone that had trouble with the iLok system.
I've heard one or two on this site that couldn't figure it out, hence decried that the sysytem was at fault, but those type of situations need to be taken with a block or two of salt.

Waves plugins are not a problem at all.
I have my Diamond/IR-1/Tune/QClone auths on a seperate iLok.
A seperate iLok for Waves stuff is a must.
They don't subscribe to the iLok.com system, so you can't move your licenses around, or resell them via iLok.com, but they still authorize to an iLok.
Their tech staff will walk you through the process, which is as easy as pie.
I personally find the tech guys at Waves to be amongst the best in the business.

So, the answer to your question is "to iLok."

technician 02-19-2006 10:38 PM

I have a spare ilok if anyone is interested? I bought m-powered, so I transfered all my auth's over to the new ilok. Post back if anyone is interested...

madoneman 02-20-2006 11:41 AM

how much are you selling the ilok for? what do they normally go for..and how do you register them?

JMS40 02-20-2006 11:59 AM

The Digistore and Sweetwater sells them for $40.
iLok.com has them for 39.95....

Avid 02-20-2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

So, there are 4 options that try to load every time I start PT. of which it states that I need the iLok in order to use the plugin options. Well, I'm not familiar with what they do or if I'll want to use them so my question- Is it worth purchasing the iLok for 40 bucks and registering to get those items?

Unless you purchase the licenses for those optional plug-ins or software, just having an iLok will not allow you to use them. The Pro Tools LE application and included DigiRack and Free Bomb Factory plug-ins do not require an iLok for authorization. For more about the iLok, see the Digidesign iLok Information page:
www.digidesign.com/support/ilok

It sounds like you may have installed some optional plug-ins and/or software that you do not have licenses for. Demo licenses are currently not available from Digidesign. Our web development group is working on adding this to the website as soon as possible. This is expected in the next few weeks.Unless you purchased DV Toolkit, you would need to remove those items from your system.

Installing the optional DV Toolkit would install 4 items that require iLok authorization:

DV Toolkit timcode function may be removed by deleting this file:
Program files/Digidesign/Pro Tools/Timecode.dll

Digitranslator may be removed by deleting this file:
Program files/Digidesign/Pro Tools/OMF.dll

And you would remove the DINR LE (Broadband Noise Reduction LE) and VocALign LE plug-ins that are installed by DV Toolkit by using the Add-Remove programs.

How to Remove Unwanted Demo Plug-Ins & Software:
http://answerbase.digidesign.com/detail.cfm?DID=28112