Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | Intro Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   No Sound During Playback (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414907)

CorneliusMoonRock 04-09-2021 03:21 PM

No Sound During Playback

Hi,

Another complete newbie here with what is probably THE classic problem...

I can't seem to get a signal in any of the volume meters, nor hear anything during playback.

Before I dive in, I should mention that whenever I fire up PTF, a "Session Note" always appears, which states:

“Some inputs or outputs may have become inactive b/c your audio hardware device has changed. Some inputs are missing.”

I have no idea if this is causing the issue I'm having, but it seems worth mentioning.

Moving on...

I have created a test session, using one of the session templates (I think it was "singer songwriter") which came with an already existing drum track.

Besides this pre-existing drum track, the only other track that I've recorded thus far is a short vocal check. When I hit play, I can't hear any audio from either of these tracks, nor do I see any volume levels in any of the volume meters (the ones on the tracks themselves, or the master volume meter at the top of the screen).

I've poked around with the Setup>Playback Engine options, which are:

Pro Tool Aggregate I/O (I'll be honest and say that I'm not entirely sure what this means)

Built-in Microphone

Built-in Output

But no matter which option I select, the result is always the same: no sound during playback and no visible signal levels in any of the volume meters.

I'm sure that there's a very obvious solution to this issue and I promise vast, untold riches (:D) to the first person who can explain what I need to do to remedy it.

Thanks in advance,

Cornelius

Top Jimmy 04-09-2021 08:28 PM

No Sound During Playback

On the Mac, in the Applications>Utilities folder you’ll find AudioMidi setup. Open it and in the view menu choose the audio window. In the audio window open the Pro Tools Aggregate device and make sure both the microphone and the outputs are selected to be included in the aggregate device. In PTF, use the Pro Tools Aggregate device as your audio hardware in the playback engine settings. You should now be getting input and output via your onboard audio jacks.

CorneliusMoonRock 04-11-2021 11:07 AM

Re: No Sound During Playback

2 Attachment(s)
Hi James,

Thanks for responding. I tried the steps you suggested, but I still can't hear anything. If you have a second, can you please look at the two screen shots (see below) and tell me if everything looks correct, or if I need to adjust something?

The first is a shot of my Audio Devices screen and the second captures the PTF dummy project that I'm working on.

Thanks again for your help!

Matt

albee1952 04-11-2021 01:11 PM

I suggest buying an audio interface and using that, instead of aggregate IO. Focusrite has a couple that are solid and affordable(as does MOTU and Presonus).

CorneliusMoonRock 04-12-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2599151)
I suggest buying an audio interface and using that, instead of aggregate IO. Focusrite has a couple that are solid and affordable(as does MOTU and Presonus).

I actually DO have an audio interface -- a Presonus AudioBox USB96 -- which has never shown up as an option in the PTF Setup/Playback window.

Could this be the problem (or part of the problem) that I'm experiencing?

I was able to use the the AudioBox 96 to record a snippet of test vocals into my dummy project, so I know that it's at least partially working.

junkgear 04-12-2021 10:59 AM

It could be part of your problem. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your Presonus interface. Next make sure you see the Audiobox listed in your Mac Audio Devices. It should not be part of the Pro Tools Agregate.

Launch PTF and hold down the N key while it loads which will bring you to the Playback Engine when it loads. You should now see the Presonus interface in the list and should be able to select it. If all goes well, you will be able to add a track to a new session and be able to choose from the inputs/outputs on the Audiobox.

Top Jimmy 04-12-2021 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkgear (Post 2599222)
It could be part of your problem. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your Presonus interface. Next make sure you see the Audiobox listed in your Mac Audio Devices. It should not be part of the Pro Tools Agregate.

Launch PTF and hold down the N key while it loads which will bring you to the Playback Engine when it loads. You should now see the Presonus interface in the list and should be able to select it. If all goes well, you will be able to add a track to a new session and be able to choose from the inputs/outputs on the Audiobox.

+1:-)

CorneliusMoonRock 04-13-2021 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by junkgear (Post 2599222)

Hi Will,

Thanks for your suggestions. I used the Presonus link you provided to download/install the latest drivers. I've also made sure that I my Audiobox96 is listed in my Mac audio devices (see screenshot), however, it says that "The selected device has no output controls", which might explain why I still can't hear anything, nor see any volume levels in any of the meters in my PTF test project.

Any ideas why it's telling me that the Audiobox96 "has no output controls" and what I need to do to remedy this?

Thanks for your help!
Matt

Netmania 04-14-2021 01:00 PM

Are you shure you have installed your driver that way

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-u...ave-and-higher

that is the only way for Intel Macs with Mojave, Catalina and Big Sur. If you are using a new M1 Mac its a more complicated story. The problem is no Pro Tools First one, it‘s because missing input and output drivers.

If drivers are installed you have to choose Presonus as Playback Engine. Then you have to chose the Track In and outputs with your Presonus Input and Outputs. After that it will work.

Best

CorneliusMoonRock 04-14-2021 01:59 PM

Thanks! It turns out that I was allowing audio input access to PTF (i.e., it was checked in my Mac's "Privacy" section.)

The final piece to the puzzle was that I was neglecting to select/sync the proper track inputs and outputs with my PreSonus, as you suggested.

Once I did this, VOILA!, I could hear and see the recorded audio.

Who knew!? Obviously not this newbie, but lesson learned.

Thanks, Netmania and everyone else who took the time to render assistance.

It is most appreciated!

-Matt