Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Setting up new Mac Pro (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=210929)

manyrains 12-02-2007 09:11 AM

Setting up new Mac Pro

Picked up Mac Pro last night. Getting ready to go pick up stuff like addl memory, wireless adapter. Is there anything I need to know about these things- for example, is there any reason I won't be able or shouldn't go to fry's and get a wireless adapter? What kind?
Also, I haven't pulled the unit out of the box, but I'm not seeing what I was expecting to see as far as a monitor cable/adapter. Should there be one? I was anticipating the need to buy a second for second screen.

Appreciate any things to be aware of as I go about setting this up today- I'm planning on installing 7.4 as I've been running 7.1 and have the offer for the free upgrade. Am I correct in assuming I'll be able to do that by following directions from the email I recieved for the offer?
Thanks

Slim Shady 12-02-2007 11:46 AM

Re: Setting up new Mac Pro

As far as a Wireless adapter, only the Airport stuff will work with it. You could try some sort of USB adapter I guess, but why go that route when Apple has a better option built-in?

There won't be any monitor cables, those usually come with the monitors, not with the computer. Since your Mac Pro is new, it should have 2 DVI monitor connections on it, so you wouldn't need the old ADC-DVI adapter that came with some old Mac Pros and G5's, so it probably isn't included.

manyrains 12-02-2007 01:59 PM

I guess I'm not understanding what's built in. There was the option to add bluetooth or airport extreme card ($49) which I chose not to do because I figured it'd be cheaper to do it on my own.
Got the monitor figured out.

Here's a simple question: Which firewire ports ought I use for my 002r and external HD (back/front, 400/800)?
Thanks

johnnyboy5000 12-03-2007 01:59 AM

I just got a Airport Extreme card from the Apple store for the Mac Pro. So far I'm having trouble getting it connecting to my Netgear router. I think it's suppose to be installed by apple, since there was no instructions with it. I found the slot on the mother board, just below the second hard drive bay. You'll need a really small philips screwdriver... Been using the Mac Pro with an ethernet cable to the router so far, which has been working great.

I have 2GB of ram, and a second 300GB hard drive, 23" apple monitor.

I have Pro Tools LE 7.4, Mbox 2, 10.4.11. I don't use Pro Tools too much, mostly Ableton Live, which works great.

manyrains 12-03-2007 05:36 AM

Yeh, I think I'm finding this out. The apple kid at store referred to "them installing" and I blew her off as I figured this was one of the things I'd take care of cheaper than through them. I got a USB wireless adapter at Fry's that "they" told me would work- go figure. My wife (who is much more computer savvy than me) couldn't get it to work.

I wasn't aware of the particular "airport extreme" name when I was at Fry's- the only thing I saw with airport on it was more expensive than what apple charged (49) so I figured it wasn't what I wanted. Can't remember if that was airport extreme or not.

What's best advice for moving forward? Go to apple store, get that and install myself? I need to be wireless due to no modem access in studio.

johnnyboy5000 12-03-2007 10:12 AM

I don't think I installed mine correctly. I didn't connect the antenna wires onto the card. I was talking to and apple genius on the phone and they said the attenas are hiding underneath the mother board. Currently my router is recognized, but the signal is really weak. I think I'm gonna bring the Mac Pro to the apple store and let them do it. This card was $43 at the apple store and if it works would be a great solution.

manyrains 12-03-2007 11:09 AM

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring out. I was pretty blow-offy when I bought it at the apple store- not interested in anything else they wanted to sell me. I guess I wouldn't have listened to her if she had tried to impress on me the need to have them install it- I guess I didn't mention the need to be wireless. Live and learn.
Any idea how long they'll keep machine to install it where you are?

johnnyboy5000 12-03-2007 08:21 PM

I managed to get this Airport Extreme card to work in the Mac Pro. I see my router and everybody in my neighborhood. I had to connect the antennas, cable #2 and #3 to the top and bottom socket of the card. The cables were hiding at the top of the mother board. It was kinda annoying, it took about 20 minutes. I found this link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=237916

The apple store could do it while you wait, they told me about 45 minutes. I'd recommend taking it to the apple store. After I put it in the mac start to make this weird noise. I took the hard drives and ram out and re- seatted them and the noise went away.

mactools 12-04-2007 06:31 AM

hey guys I am saying this with a big smile on my face.

What does this have to do with protools?

Couldnt you have asked this on the apple forum they are really quick over there. Just wondering, thats all, I am not busting on you.

CYA

oh by the way BUY a .mac account it is a FRIGGN lifesaver its worth every last red cent. You will never loose another mail message bookmark calendar NOTHIG just sync that baby 1 or twice a month and it shows up on all your macs. IT IS worth it.

CYA again

manyrains 12-04-2007 11:10 AM

Point taken. Never thought of checking for apple forum- duh. Thanks. I know I'll have myriad other questions Thanks.