Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   MTRX Studio with Dante Virtual Sound Card (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=419064)

off the wall 02-23-2022 06:53 PM

MTRX Studio with Dante Virtual Sound Card

I’m going to replace my HDIO on the main PT HDX system with an Avid MTRX Studio. This is where it will live 99% of the time connected via the two digilink connectors to the HDX card in my Mac Pro tower.

What I’m wondering is if for occasional travel use would the MTRX Studio work as a laptop interface using just Ethernet and Dante Virtual Sound Card software? Ie no HDX card on the laptop.

BScout 02-23-2022 08:19 PM

Re: MTRX Studio with Dante Virtual Sound Card

Yes

Farhoof 02-24-2022 12:00 AM

The Dante virtual sound cards becomes your interface/playback engine. The MTRX is a switchbox/matrix connected where you can input the Dante and output to analog using Dadman, but it doesn't show up in Protools as your interface. That's only when connected to Protools via digilink.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

off the wall 02-24-2022 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farhoof (Post 2628668)
The Dante virtual sound cards becomes your interface/playback engine. The MTRX is a switchbox/matrix connected where you can input the Dante and output to analog using Dadman, but it doesn't show up in Protools as your interface. That's only when connected to Protools via digilink.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

thx, I'm aware of how it "should" work. Just wondering if it really does. I'd like to be able to use the MTRX Studio as my laptop interface to drive my monitors when I'm on vacation, etc.

LukeHoward 02-24-2022 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by off the wall (Post 2628700)
thx, I'm aware of how it "should" work. Just wondering if it really does. I'd like to be able to use the MTRX Studio as my laptop interface to drive my monitors when I'm on vacation, etc.

Definitely works, but DVS has higher latency (4/6/10ms) and I've had trouble getting it to work with the builtin Ethernet port of newer Macs. And it doesn't yet support Apple Silicon. But a new version is supposedly in testing...

basehead617 02-24-2022 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LukeHoward (Post 2628717)
Definitely works, but DVS has higher latency (4/6/10ms) and I've had trouble getting it to work with the builtin Ethernet port of newer Macs. And it doesn't yet support Apple Silicon. But a new version is supposedly in testing...

Jeff said something about Dante interfaces not working well or maybe even not working at all with the Mac Pro 10 GbE ports and that he recommended using a usb network adapter. Kind of sad if that is the case.. how can it possibly not work with something when these are all standards!?

LukeHoward 02-24-2022 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basehead617 (Post 2628720)
Jeff said something about Dante interfaces not working well or maybe even not working at all with the Mac Pro 10 GbE ports and that he recommended using a usb network adapter. Kind of sad if that is the case.. how can it possibly not work with something when these are all standards!?

Yup, it doesn’t work at all. I filed a ticket with Audinate almost two years ago, they originally suggested contacting Apple because it was a “hardware issue” (on a brand new MacPro7.1) before admitting they’d been able to duplicate it. There is a new release coming this year with user-mode drivers (required on Apple Silicon) and I’d be surprised if this issue wasn’t also fixed. But I have no inside knowledge.

BScout 02-24-2022 06:22 PM

Yes. Dante doesn't work with the 10GbE ports.
But works just fine with the Apple 1GbE thunderbolt dongle.
And Dante and the DADman controller both on the dongle work fine at the same time.

off the wall 02-24-2022 07:25 PM

OP here.

I don’t have the MTRX Studio in hand yet but started playing around with the Dante software and PT today.

One BIGGIE is that VSC doesn’t work on the M1 Pro laptop yet (either does PT fully but I’m holding out hope for that before summer vacation :) )

I did get VIA going and it appears to work. Will see how it gets along with the MTRX Studio when it arrives. This is not a long term solution though since it only works at 48k. I do quite a bit of work at 88.2 and 96 as well.

Farhoof 02-24-2022 11:57 PM

But why drag along a MTRX on a vacation and not just a compact TB/USB audio interface with enough outputs to connect your monitors? Or do you need all that IO and (SPKR) processing? I'm curious now ;-)

Maybe you can get a thunderbolt HD native box and connect the MTRX via digilink, skip the Dante altogether. Obviously more expensive, but more versatile as well.