Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Pro Tools Compatibility with macOS 13 Ventura (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=422449)

newcens 11-15-2022 02:21 PM

Pro Tools Compatibility with macOS 13 Ventura

I am contemplating buying the new Mac Studio and it will be coming with the OS 13 Ventura. I just want to make sure it will be compatible with my Pro Tools 2022.6 OS. I have read that Avid hasn't yet acknowledged it's compatibility but I have read that some beta testing has shown that there are no issues. Does anyone have a definitive answer before I send a couple grand?
Thank you in advance,
Newcens

huzzam 11-15-2022 02:30 PM

Re: Pro Tools Compatibility with macOS 13 Ventura

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcens (Post 2653361)
I am contemplating buying the new Mac Studio and it will be coming with the OS 13 Ventura. I just want to make sure it will be compatible with my Pro Tools 2022.6 OS. I have read that Avid hasn't yet acknowledged it's compatibility but I have read that some beta testing has shown that there are no issues. Does anyone have a definitive answer before I send a couple grand?
Thank you in advance,
Newcens

You will be able to downgrade the Mac Studio to Monterey, since that's the OS that was current when it was released.

I don't know about Ventura compatibility, but just wanted to let you know that you should be safe either way.

newcens 11-15-2022 04:02 PM

Thank you. Any information is good information. So you can downgrade the Mac Studio to a older OS. That I didn't know.

Obsidian Dragon 11-16-2022 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcens (Post 2653383)
Thank you. Any information is good information. So you can downgrade the Mac Studio to a older OS. That I didn't know.

Just to be clear, you can only downgrade back to the version of the OS that the model of the Mac was released with (not when you bought it, but when it was first made available for sale). You cannot downgrade to an OS older that that.

Having said that, I am running Protools Studio 2022.10 on a Mac Studio (M1Max) running Ventura (macOS 13) in a test system and have not had any OS related issues so far. You should consider upgrading Protools to the latest version as there are bug fixes and better compatibility with Apple Silicon (however, still running on Rosetta 2 instead of native).

gives 11-16-2022 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcens (Post 2653361)
Thank you in advance,
Newcens

I just got my New Mac Studio after 10 years with the same Mac Pro Trash Can. What a difference. It was shipped with Monterey and after it arrived Ventura got released. I had a friend who got his and updated and he is running PT with not issues. I'm staying put for software like DADMAN which is stable on Monterey on 12.6.1.
My guess it is solid either way depending on your needs with your setup. Mine are in Dolby ATMOS here, so can't really risk any problems.
G

Eric Lambert 11-16-2022 01:37 PM

This first thing I'd do with that new Mac is downgrade to the latest Monterey, then start installing. I know Ventura is working for people in many ways but I've seen a list of audio-related apps/plugins that do NOT work and it's enough to keep douse my urge to update. 12.6.1 has been rock solid so no reason to rock the boat anyway.

Blues Bird 12-01-2022 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lambert (Post 2653465)
This first thing I'd do with that new Mac is downgrade to the latest Monterey, then start installing. I know Ventura is working for people in many ways but I've seen a list of audio-related apps/plugins that do NOT work and it's enough to keep douse my urge to update. 12.6.1 has been rock solid so no reason to rock the boat anyway.

How do you do that in detail?

Ben Jenssen 12-01-2022 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blues Bird (Post 2654710)
How do you do that in detail?

In short; you must find and download a monterey installer (doesn't have to be the very latest, you can upgrade it later), and with that create a so-called 'USB installer' by writing the .dmg to a USB stick, drive, or partition - then you boot from it and install the OS on a drive or partition, erasing the drive in the process. People will correct me if I'm wrong or forgot something - but that's the basics.

Blues Bird 12-01-2022 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2654712)
In short; you must find and download a monterey installer (doesn't have to be the very latest, you can upgrade it later), and with that create a so-called 'USB installer' by writing the .dmg to a USB stick, drive, or partition - then you boot from it and install the OS on a drive or partition, erasing the drive in the process. People will correct me if I'm wrong or forgot something - but that's the basics.

Thank you. Will give it a try after my new Mac studio has arrived.

gives 12-01-2022 07:51 AM

I have a pal who got his Mac Studio Ultra at exactly the same time as I did, but a bit later and it shipped with Ventura. He has had only a few issues that he said is hardly worth worrying about. Seems to be solid for him.
G