Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Pro Tools could not initialize the current playback engine (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=335692)

barbara.goddy 03-12-2013 07:03 AM

Pro Tools could not initialize the current playback engine

Hello,

I am using ProTools 9 (LE) and the Mbox Pro 3. The computer specifications are Mac OS X, 10.6.8. Normally I didn't have any problems with launching ProTools but yesterday I saw this message on the screen:
ProTools could not initialize the current playback engine. Please make sure that device has been configured correctly.

I already tried the fallowing two tips, but it didn't help:

[B]1. Launch Pro Tools
When the splash screen appears on the screen, hold down the "n" key on your keyboard, which will eventually open the Playback Engine dialog for Pro Tools. (WHEN I PRESS DOWN THE N KEY, NOTHING HAPPENS! WHEN I CHOOSE THE SETUP MENU, THE LETTERS ARE GREY, SO THAT I CAN NOT CHOOSE THE PLAYBACK ENGINE.)

Mac Only
If the solution above fails, you can try deleting the "com.apple.audio.AggregateDevices.plist" preference on Mac OS X. You can find this preference file in the following location:
Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences I DO NOT HAVE THAT FILE IN MY PREFERENCES!

Thank You very much for the help!:-)

Regards,
Barbara

Darryl Ramm 03-12-2013 07:11 AM

ProTools could not initialize the current playback engine

Firstly there is no such thing as Pro Tools 9 LE. It's just Pro Tools 9.

What exact version of Pro Tools 9 are you using? Are you trying to use an aggregate IO device? (Exactly what devices aggregated together?).

Power off the Mac and Mbox Pro. Power up the Mac and once OS X is running power on the Mbox Pro. Launch Pro Tools by double clicking on the Pro Tools icon and keep holding down the single "n" key until the payback engine dialog panel appears. If that really never appears you have more serious problems, if it does appear do you see the "Mbox Pro" option? If you select that what happens?

Have you changed anything or updated any software recently?

Nect steps would be to uninstall and reinstall the Mbox Pro driver with the latest versions that support your OS X version. Do this with the Mbox disconnected and run the uninstaller that comes with the driver download, reboot then run the driver installer.

barbara.goddy 03-12-2013 07:30 AM

Re: ProTools could not initialize the current playback engine

For the Pro Tools 9 version, is it the Crossgrade from ProTools LE?? Where can I find the name of the version for the ProTools 9?

I tried with the N key and it works! I didn't understand properly before that I have to hold it down while launching (I tried AFTER I saw the message with the problem)

I used Skype yesterday evening. Is it possible that it disturbed somehow the settings for the ProTools....? I didn't update anything before it happened.

Thanks again!
Barbara

barbara.goddy 03-12-2013 07:36 AM

Re: ProTools could not initialize the current playback engine

Ah I found! The version is 9.0.6.

Bye!

Darryl Ramm 03-12-2013 08:10 AM

Pro Tools could not initialize the current playback engine

It is unlikely Skype , more likely just random corruption/confusion where Pro Tools was trying to open a different interface. 9.0.6 is where you want to be.