Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Spotify, itunes, youtube in Pro Tools? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412476)

audioluche 11-01-2020 07:34 PM

Spotify, itunes, youtube in Pro Tools?

Hi,

I was on a 5.1 mac pro and i always routed audio from these players in Pro Tools via optical out of the mac to the optical in of a 192 IO.

Now that i upgraded my computer to a new Mac Pro, i cant use this method no more to monitor or record audio from these sources into Pro Tools.
What is the best way to acheive this in 2020? Some software? Other internal routing?

I am on HDX, 2020.9.

Thanks!

Luc

Darryl Ramm 11-01-2020 07:52 PM

Re: Spotify, itunes, youtube in Pro Tools?

You can't use software routing options like Rogue Amoeba Loopback with non-CoreAudio interfaces like HDX. You can add a small CoreAudio interface with optical out and use that into your 192 IO like you did on the old Cheesegrater... or use analog outputs into the 192, or switch the playback engine to Built-In Output for when you want to record that audio and use something like Loopback and just record directly into Pro Tools.. or some other DAW used just for doing that.

Sardi 11-02-2020 03:11 AM

As Darryl mentioned, just grab a cheap interface with Optical out and continue as before.

Behringer makes some under AU$100 so it’s not gonna break the bank by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeam25 11-02-2020 06:47 AM

Hi +1 for Loopback app here ... it is pretty good. I use it here and very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

audioluche 11-03-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2581640)
You can't use software routing options like Rogue Amoeba Loopback with non-CoreAudio interfaces like HDX. You can add a small CoreAudio interface with optical out and use that into your 192 IO like you did on the old Cheesegrater... or use analog outputs into the 192, or switch the playback engine to Built-In Output for when you want to record that audio and use something like Loopback and just record directly into Pro Tools.. or some other DAW used just for doing that.

Thanks Darryl.
Too bad there is no software option working with HDX.
A small optical interface seems like a good solution.

audioluche 11-03-2020 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2581655)
As Darryl mentioned, just grab a cheap interface with Optical out and continue as before.

Behringer makes some under AU$100 so it’s not gonna break the bank by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.
Maybe the easiest solution.

Thanks.

audioluche 11-03-2020 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeam25 (Post 2581668)
Hi +1 for Loopback app here ... it is pretty good. I use it here and very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yes, but it cant work with HDX...
You are using it with wich interface?

originalscottyg 11-04-2020 08:41 AM

If you have a MTRX or MXTR Studio you can use Dante Virtual Soundcard to route system sound into DADman via Dante and set it up as a monitor source, or record it into Pro Tools. If you don't have MTRX or MTRX Studio, a small optical interface, as mentioned, is probably your best bet.

Rich Breen 11-06-2020 07:25 AM

Source Elements' Source-Nexus driver will do what you need - provides an AAX plug that will route from any coreaudio source into a ProTools fader.

audioluche 11-25-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Breen (Post 2582095)
Source Elements' Source-Nexus driver will do what you need - provides an AAX plug that will route from any coreaudio source into a ProTools fader.

Hi Rich.

I did not seen your post before today.
I was ready to pull the trigger on a core audio interface, 300$ was the cheapest I found with optical out. I was revisiting this thread to be sure. Glad I did!

Source Nexus seems like the perfect solution for a HDX rig. I just sent my info for the demo.

Thanks for solving my problem!

Luc