Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What changes are "under the hood" of PT8? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=229392)

postprosound 10-04-2008 09:08 AM

What changes are "under the hood" of PT8?

Digidesign,

A lot is said about the new GUI, and other things that are readily seen, but what new things are there 'under the hood' of the latest PT release?

DigiTechSupt 10-06-2008 11:25 AM

Re: What changes are "under the hood" of PT8?

That would depend on how 'under the hood' you're talking about. We're always making improvements when we get the opportunity or where feature implementation dictates.

Is there something you're looking for in particular?

lwilliam 10-06-2008 12:45 PM

OK...I'll bite:

1. Are there any improvements in RTAS efficiency? RTAS does have a (deserved) reputation of being less efficient than AU or VST: fewer plugins per given CPU.

2. Any improvements in multiple CPU balancing? (although I understand that the OS is a big factor in balancing across multiple CPUs - because Logic doesn't even balance across 8 CPUs well)

3. Has the waveform drawing bug been addressed?

The Dougfather 10-06-2008 02:50 PM

Offline bouncing would be very handy?

Waveform issue resolved?

Oh, and buffer errors on first launch when using sample based VI's.

Cheers

DigiTechSupt 10-06-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lwilliam (Post 1290591)
OK...I'll bite:

1. Are there any improvements in RTAS efficiency? RTAS does have a (deserved) reputation of being less efficient than AU or VST: fewer plugins per given CPU.

2. Any improvements in multiple CPU balancing? (although I understand that the OS is a big factor in balancing across multiple CPUs - because Logic doesn't even balance across 8 CPUs well)

3. Has the waveform drawing bug been addressed?

1. Yes, but maybe not quite as extensive as you (or we) would like yet. It's an ongoing process and there are several factors that come into play that we don't necessarily have control over.

2. What are you seeing that causes you to question this? There should be no issues with CPU balancing beyond issues with non fully RTAS optimized code in plug-ins. That is something only plug-in manufacturers can address.

3. Yes! - I'm going to say that with the caveat that the fix has not been fully tested yet, but I can't imagine this going out without a solid fix. We're also hoping to roll this into a cs release for previous versions.

lwilliam 10-06-2008 04:22 PM

Thanks! All good info.

Actually, PT seems to balance across my 2 G5s just fine - even with 10.4.11. I had the impression (maybe mistakenly) that the quad and 8 CPU Macs weren't balancing well across all 4/8 with PTLE. However, that MAY just be an..err..uh LP8 issue (a single CPU spiking way early, for instance).

I did read that OS 10.6 is supposed to improve load balancing across multiple cores/cpu's, so I deduced that the OS is at least a factor.

RockGod 10-06-2008 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dougfather (Post 1290677)
Oh, and buffer errors on first launch when using sample based VI's.

Glad to know it's not just me who gets these buffer errors. Seems strange how they only occur on the first playback attempt after loading a session. It's easy to work around but a fix would be great

myfavedave 10-07-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt (Post 1290724)
2. What are you seeing that causes you to question this? There should be no issues with CPU balancing beyond issues with non fully RTAS optimized code in plug-ins. That is something only plug-in manufacturers can address.

I seem to have problems using all 8 processors in my Mac Pro 8 core (10GB RAM). The performance is worse than when set to 1 processor!

I currently have it set to 7 and it seems ok, but still spikes randomly.

Is this just me?

RockGod 10-07-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myfavedave (Post 1291184)
I seem to have problems using all 8 processors in my Mac Pro 8 core (10GB RAM). The performance is worse than when set to 1 processor!

I currently have it set to 7 and it seems ok, but still spikes randomly.

Is this just me?

No, it's the same for me