Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Copy/Paste plugins settings between different plugins? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=321997)

Zacsyd 05-01-2012 11:52 AM

Copy/Paste plugins settings between different plugins?

I just wonder. Is there any way, that i can lets say, copy all parameters of for example pro tools stock 7 band EQ. And paste it in to another EQ? (waves, sonnox, etc)

I tried and i tried but can't get it to work. I can't really see the problem either. I mean, of course the parameters are gonna missmatch sometimes, but then the paste should just ignore parameters that aren't there??

Thanks

Meads 05-01-2012 05:07 PM

Re: Copy/Paste plugins settings between different plugins?

How on earth should this work?
Ever tried to copy a a text document into a calculator? That's basically, what you're trying to accomplish here.

albee1952 05-01-2012 07:01 PM

Yeah, not going to work. Solution: open both and just adjust the 2nd to match the first. Having said this, they may not sound the same(any more than 2 brands of hardware EQ would).

Zacsyd 05-01-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Ever tried to copy a a text document into a calculator? That's basically, what you're trying to accomplish here.
Oh please it isn't really the same thing. EQ is an EQ is an EQ. You can't really compare different EQs with text documents and calculators.
But just to answer your question, no i have never tried it. But i can't really see a big problem there either.
If i write a bunch of numbers in a text document on my computer, and copy them. It shouldn't be a big problem pasting the numbers in a software calculator. that's what i think at least....

Meads 05-01-2012 09:48 PM

I'm not a coder, but from what I know about programming, I'm pretty sure an EQ is not an EQ is not an EQ from a software engineer's POV. At least not in the manner, that you could copy parameters from one to the other, because source codes aren't conform.

Darryl Ramm 05-01-2012 10:02 PM

How is "an EQ an EQ" from anybody's perspective let alone a software developer's? What parameters that affect say a five band EQ would you apply to a three band EQ and how exactly do you decide what parameters to ignore when things don't match up. Let alone worrying about mixing multi-band EQs and parametric EQs?

This is simply is not done because the idea is impossible/makes no sense.

Darryl

Felix Rost 05-02-2012 02:32 AM

you can't copy all at once, but copy/paste special single parameter's automation. then see how it translates :eek:

ejwells 05-02-2012 03:31 AM

How about a simple answer to your question?:
No.

Frank Kruse 05-02-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejwells (Post 1927306)
How about a simple answer to your question?:
No.

how about copy special/ all automation ?

WernerF 05-02-2012 07:26 AM

If you want it to sound the same why not use the same kind of EQ on the tracks that you want to match. All you have to do then is option drag the plugin over to the other one.

Copying from one brand of EQ to the other is just not gonna work no matter how much you want it to. Too many things are different from one to the next.