Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

John Hey 09-07-2004 09:58 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

Jay,

I have added this one to my most favorites list. This is great stuff. I love this kind of Rock-N-Roll!!! I love the delay on the lead vocal. The only thing I could add is to try adding a 5th on a harmony track to the line “If This is Goodbye”. It would help accent that part nicely.

Matt Whritenour 09-07-2004 10:32 AM

Thanks alot everyone it means a lot to me that you actually like the song...

Quote:

What are you using for mics/pres? good songs, nice performance and production

for pre amps i used mostly my Digimax LT then on drums i used my ART Tube DPS II for 2 of the mics.

Kick - Beta 52 Inside - Sennhieser e609 outside hole "the e609 went through the ART pre because of the phase reversal button.
"i really want to try a 421 inside with the beta 52 outside but i havent gotten around to it yet"
Snare - Top SM57 - Bottom SM57 going to the other channel of the ART pre to flip phase
Rack and FLoor Tom - MD421 - but he ended up not using the rack tom in the song so i didnt use it
Overheards - MXL 603s
Hi-Hat - Audix F15
(we don't have a drummer at the moment so my guitar player played drums and he used my Gretsch
catalina birch kit.)

Bass - Fender Mexican Jazz bass with Seymour duncan 1/4lb. pickups and badass bridge to a
Sansamp RBI then the Sansamp output went into line input 5 on the 002R and the Dry Output went to
Input 1 of the 002R

Lead Guitar - Gibson SG - Marshall AVT50 - Marshall 1960a cab - SM57 and MXL 2001
Rythem Guitar - Epiphone SG - Mesa Boogie Dual Rect. - Marshall 1960a cab - SM57 and MXL 2001
Doubled Rythem - Epiphone Les Paul - Mesa Dual Rect. - Marshall 1960a cab - SM57 and MXL 2001

Vocals - MXL 2001 - with a DBX 266XL compressor at a 2:1 ratio just to prevent peaks.

I feel the only new equipment that i really really need is a vocal mic. I'm saving up for a TLM 103
the vocals were slightly distorted, but i'm not sure if it was from the mic or if it could of been
the compressor.... A cheap mic going into a Decent Pre then a cheap compressor deff wont be the cleanest signal.

Other than new equipment i think i just need more experience. but that comes over time. i've only been doing this for like a year and a half and i deff notice huge improvements from my earlier stuff. my biggest improvements are since i got the 002R Digimax LT and MD421s

thanks again for the input

-matt

nightshadecrisis 09-07-2004 10:52 AM

matt,
the sennheiser 421 inside the kick with a mic with good low end sounds great! i have been messing around recently with it and find that a 421 inside up to the beater and large diaphram condenser on the outside(i've recently been using a Neumann fet47 and it sounds great!)is a good mix. the MXL 2001 is worth checking out for the outside of the kick. keep posting more!

ev

Matt Whritenour 09-07-2004 11:32 AM

i've been thinking about getting an RE20 for the outside of the kick
the have either the Beta 52 inside or a MD421.
i've also been thinking about getting a D112 and D6 that way i have
a bucnh of differnt options.

Roy Howell 09-07-2004 01:24 PM

luzer kidd,
Nice song, man...great energy...I like the guitar parts together...I'de like to hear a little more bottom end from the bass, but good job overall, IMO.
-Roy

Aussie/Mark,
I listened to 'Little World' again.....love it. I can't believe the clarity and warmth you're getting, both on the guitar and vocal...good song too...can't wait to hear it finished.
-Roy

GenerationM 09-07-2004 02:01 PM

Thanks John...

Funny you mention about the harmony comment...I'm probably going to add a couple extra tracks this week..others that I've played it for have mentioned that it could be a little thicker there as well...thanks for the comments...glad you enjoyed it...

Regards,
Jay Danger

Quote:

Jay,

I have added this one to my most favorites list. This is great stuff. I love this kind of Rock-N-Roll!!! I love the delay on the lead vocal. The only thing I could add is to try adding a 5th on a harmony track to the line “If This is Goodbye”. It would help accent that part nicely.

badperson 09-07-2004 02:31 PM

Got another one here.

"You Must Know by Now" is the new one.

My computer really blows, a 1.4 pentium which may as well be an idling tractor when I put two mics on an acoustic guitar. Feel my pain...I'm dying for an allensteing.

bp

John Hey 09-07-2004 04:46 PM

Jason Jason Jason….

What can I say? You’re a writing machine. I would have no idea that you have a crappy system as your music is great. I enjoyed the harmonizes in the song. Looking for the next one.

Stiff 09-08-2004 08:11 AM

Roy,

Quote:

Well, I sure can't fool you guys...sure, I call them 'canoe trips' when I go to Arkansas, but I really just hang out up in the woods with the kid from Deliverance......he's the only one who likes to hear me play the banjo with my slide.

Can't wait to hear Banjoslide blues and Mudbanjo blues

Roy Howell 09-08-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

Roy,

Can't wait to hear Banjoslide blues and Mudbanjo blues

That's great... ...somehow, the banjo has eluded me all this time, but I love to hear it in non-country stuff where you wouldn't expect it to be...(like say on 'Cloudbusting'/Kate Bush). I did play slide in a session once on a 'guitjo', which was basically a 6-string banjo tuned like a guitar.

How are things in Sweden, Stiff? Good, I hope...

_________

GenerationM,
I really like your song.....especially the singer(you?)...some vocal punch-ins seem too abrupt and obvious to me, but probably won't to the average listener....he did a great job on the vocal, IMO. Good song...post more when you can.
-Roy