Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   MTRX with AVB connection ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412859)

Johnny Hulst 11-25-2020 02:35 AM

MTRX with AVB connection ?

What will be next for MTRX ?
I know Avid never ever shows their cards... but since Carbon is now released with AVB, I hope Avid comes up with an optional card for the MTRX with 2 ethernet ports (AVB) and 8 hdx processors on it (same way as the new carbon)
So I can ditch my old HDX card & Thunderbold HD Native unit, and use the MTRX on any mac with the same power at hands.

Ah... hope is all I got :D

Ashford 11-25-2020 03:01 AM

Re: MTRX with AVB connection ?

I hope it is just a firmware update to use the existing MTRX Ethernet ports.

gives 11-25-2020 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Hulst (Post 2584994)
What will be next for MTRX ?
I know Avid never ever shows their cards... but since Carbon is now released with AVB, I hope Avid comes up with an optional card for the MTRX with 2 ethernet ports (AVB) and 8 hdx processors on it (same way as the new carbon)
So I can ditch my old HDX card & Thunderbold HD Native unit, and use the MTRX on any mac with the same power at hands.

Ah... hope is all I got :D

Agreed! That would be good. G

SomeOtherGuy 11-25-2020 10:34 AM

Agreed. Many of us have substantial MTRX investments, and it's still a recent product introduction. But since it was developed by a third party, Digital Audio Denmark, I wouldn't be surprised if Avid simply releases an in-house, high-end version of their own Carbon interface, and leaves the MTRX unsupported as regards to Hybrid DSP. After all, I'm sure Avid is paying DAD a royalty on all MTRX sales.

originalscottyg 11-25-2020 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy (Post 2585044)
Agreed. Many of us have substantial MTRX investments, and it's still a recent product introduction. But since it was developed by a third party, Digital Audio Denmark, I wouldn't be surprised if Avid simply releases an in-house, high-end version of their own Carbon interface, and leaves the MTRX unsupported as regards to Hybrid DSP. After all, I'm sure Avid is paying DAD a royalty on all MTRX sales.

Agreed. I think Avid is looking to in-house hardware moving forward, so I doubt that MTRX will get Avid's proprietary flavor of AVB. I think Hybrid mode will be available for anybody running a MTRX with HDX cards, once HDX Hybrid mode is available, but there will never be any DSP incorporated into the MTRX.

LukeHoward 11-25-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalscottyg (Post 2585052)
Agreed. I think Avid is looking to in-house hardware moving forward, so I doubt that MTRX will get Avid's proprietary flavor of AVB. I think Hybrid mode will be available for anybody running a MTRX with HDX cards, once HDX Hybrid mode is available, but there will never be any DSP incorporated into the MTRX.

They don't have a proprietary flavour of AVB, as it works with the implementation in macOS, it's just a proprietary implementation (see the Carbon FAQ). If it supports 32-bit float though, it can't be using the AM824 stream format, which means no AVB interoperability with the S3 (unless that gets a firmware update).

I asked NTP about an AVB card for the MTRX some time ago, and they had no plans. Perhaps Avid will develop one themselves.

I spent some time working on an AVB to AES67 bridge but it was challenging to implement reliably in software.