Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Recording guitar direct + guitar cab (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=277289)

TDub 07-05-2010 11:24 AM

Recording guitar direct + guitar cab

Hey Guys,
How is the best way to record guitar track and have it going to my amp (being mic'd) as well as direct line to PTLE to have flexibility of using sim afterward?

thanks

bmenchen 07-05-2010 11:35 AM

Re: Recording guitar direct + guitar cab

hughes kettner

is a great way to go diect its a cabnit simulator I find the mark 2 is the best one its old and hard to find but is great they have others
this way you dont have to mic anything :-)

TDub 07-05-2010 11:50 AM

thanks for reply, but what i'm looking for is how to basically "Y" from my guitar to a) amp and b) direct to PT.

thanks though

paulreed 07-05-2010 11:52 AM

I use a direct box...countryman is nice! send the clean git signal to a pre amp and the thru to your amp. I just about ALWAYS do this (sometimes the client has no idea). pod farm is a great amp sim as is waves gtr, you can use the real amp and the sim if you want for some nice texture..
For git sounds that do not change through the piece, I sometimes don't even use an amp, my 86 prs into the Avalon 737 sounds pretty sweet and if you can't find an amp sim to suit your needs, you can re-amp....or I guess "amp" in this case.

TDub 07-05-2010 12:01 PM

Thats great! So for the clean part, go from the DI to a mic preamp, before going into my 002R? Is the preamp necessary?

paulreed 07-05-2010 01:50 PM

you can go into the pre's in the 002R! i have better pre's so i use those;)
if you go into the pre's in the oo2R do not use external pre's also

TCM 07-05-2010 03:03 PM

As Paul said use a DI box.

I use guitar-->Radial JDI-->002R
................................!-->Amp-->mic

Hotcrazyfruit 07-05-2010 06:27 PM

Get an 11R. It records your wet and dry sounds for re-amping.

necjamc 07-05-2010 06:36 PM

For your situation, as already mentioned, use a DI Box (I use a whirlwind) and split the signal, the parallel going to the amp, and the xlr going to the 002. That's the best way to do it.

TDub 07-06-2010 04:23 AM

Great info guys, thank you! It brings up another thought though: you mentioned don't go into pre's in 002R if using external pre. So if i use an external pre, then: a) where do i run that into on the 002R for recording? b) are the 002 pre's better than say the Presonus Blue Tube and Tube Pre single?

appreciate it as always,