Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Best noise reduction for broadband low level dialogue (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=309081)

Moviesound 10-14-2011 06:34 AM

Best noise reduction for broadband low level dialogue

Wavearts, dns one, wns,c4 or rx?? Purely for broadband noise, not hums and whistles etc which one is best with dialogue which is barely (if at all) above the noise threshold. Im finding the wns too lumpy and others too artifacty?

garnoil 10-14-2011 08:34 AM

Re: Best noise reduction for broadband low level dialogue

Dns by far

Moviesound 10-14-2011 09:03 AM

I A/B'd the dns against the wns when it first came out. And there was nothing in it, between the two. Possibly the source material i was using at the time was not showing me the potential of the dns. But for low level dial with broadband i am finding the wns much too pumpy

Henchman 10-14-2011 09:03 AM

Dns.
No contest.

Moviesound 10-14-2011 09:11 AM

But what does the dns do better than the wns? Is it less pumpy, less artifacty.
A i say there was no differnce between the 2 on the material i tested them with. In fact at times, i could even argue that the wns was better

Henchman 10-14-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moviesound (Post 1844175)
But what does the dns do better than the wns? Is it less pumpy, less artifacty.
A i say there was no differnce between the 2 on the material i tested them with. In fact at times, i could even argue that the wns was better

I tried te wns.
Again, in my experience, no contest.

Henchman 10-14-2011 10:23 AM

Btw, if the dialog is barely above the noise floor, it's never going to be great.

philper 10-14-2011 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henchman (Post 1844195)
Btw, if the dialog is barely above the noise floor, it's never going to be great.

YES! The noisier the BG the LESS you can get away with doing to it, no matter what tool you're using!

phil p

Bokir 10-15-2011 12:53 AM

Hi all,

In my experience, (as in most of our production we rely heavily in production sound--We only do ADR when it's really necessary) there's really no clear single winner on this categories. Each product has it's own purpose and strength.

Sometimes Digi Gate/Expander 3 is enough. With other problem, we need C4. And then there's one that need DNS. And another that can only be fixed with RX. So, there's really no--one tool fixed all things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moviesound (Post 1844175)
But what does the dns do better than the wns? Is it less pumpy, less artifact.

Again in my experience, I can't really have a good enough results working with WNS. To me it's just to 'slow' compared to DNS. Slow as in it's response (attack and release) time. We can hear it's working.

IMHO.

MIKEROPHONICS 10-15-2011 05:09 AM

For me a combo of DNS and RX2 is the best.

Don't forget that you can multiple process with dns one, ie have three of them in a row. One for low then one for mids and one for highs for ultimate control. Although when I find things are that bad RX2 is better (as long as you do it externally to PT in the standalone mode

One man's meat is another man's poison.

The chaps at cedar are very nice and I support them wholeheartedly.
I am also famed for my dislike of Waves, their ethics and their products. Nuff said?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk