Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Colours are different in 2021.6 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415986)

the.engineer 06-29-2021 02:22 PM

Colours are different in 2021.6

Does anyone else, like me, have their channel strip fully coloured? I can't stand it being grey and I have a very strict colour system that allows to me navigate my mixes easily.

2021.6 is very different and the subtleties between the colours seem to have gone.

Can anyone else confirm this and/or is irked by it?

What say you Avid? Can we go back to how it was?

Kyle Splittgerber 06-29-2021 02:58 PM

Re: 2021.6 Colours are different

Quote:

Originally Posted by the.engineer (Post 2606144)
Does anyone else, like me, have their channel strip fully coloured? I can't stand it being grey and I have a very strict colour system that allows to me navigate my mixes easily.

2021.6 is very different and the subtleties between the colours seem to have gone.

Can anyone else confirm this and/or is irked by it?

What say you Avid? Can we go back to how it was?

The legacy settings (saturation and brightness) for track headers don't map perfectly to updates we made for UI Customization. This is due to the wider range of adjustments that are now possible. What you'll want to do is manually make those adjustments in Window > Color Palette > UI Customization to get it close to what you're used to. These UI settings are system based, so you only need to adjust them once.

the.engineer 06-29-2021 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2606156)
The legacy settings (saturation and brightness) for track headers don't map perfectly to updates we made for UI Customization. This is due to the wider range of adjustments that are now possible. What you'll want to do is manually make those adjustments in Window > Color Palette > UI Customization to get it close to what you're used to. These UI settings are system based, so you only need to adjust them once.

Thanks Kyle for getting back so fast. I did have a play around (albeit for only 2 mins) and couldn't get to where I wanted it, however...

I'll have another go!

EdgarRothermich 06-29-2021 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2606156)
These UI settings are system based, so you only need to adjust them once.

When you say system based, does it mean that they are stored with the Pro Tools Preferences File, or somewhere else?

mbuz 06-30-2021 02:47 AM

Windows 10 Pro here and I confirm the difference with track colors on new PT2021.6.
I am not able to have the same color setting as before and there are less colors availability on the track header.
This could be quite confusing when mixing with a lot of tracks.

BScout 06-30-2021 07:53 AM

"there are less colors availability on the track header"

This isn't true. The grid of colours is the same size as previous versions.
Just the shade/saturation is slightly different

devinemke 06-30-2021 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i can corroborate this issue. see attached screen shot. at the bottom of the mix window you can see that the left side tracks are a different shade of red compared to the right side tracks. but the background color of all of the tracks looks the same. definitely a change from previous PT versions before 2021.6. as Kyle said, i gather this due to the mapping of the old color palette to the new.

Kyle Splittgerber 06-30-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich (Post 2606172)
When you say system based, does it mean that they are stored with the Pro Tools Preferences File, or somewhere else?

Hi Edgar,

They are saved in the Pro Tools Presets > Color Palette folder.

Eric Lambert 06-30-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2606312)
Hi Edgar,

They are saved in the Pro Tools Presets > Color Palette folder.

Question then: if I delete the PT Prefs file (as I do at times), will I lose the color settings? And if so, can I retrieve them after deleting Prefs by importing from the Color Palette folder?

albee1952 06-30-2021 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lambert (Post 2606314)
Question then: if I delete the PT Prefs file (as I do at times), will I lose the color settings? And if so, can I retrieve them after deleting Prefs by importing from the Color Palette folder?

Trashing prefs will default colors. Best to actually save your settings(not just assign to one of the preset buttons).