Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   iLok "support" (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=391796)

Samba 06-18-2017 10:23 AM

iLok "support"

So I am touring and have lost my iLok.

Apparently I need to have insurance to be able to resume work immediately?!!!

What world does iLok live in?!!

And how do you contact them?! In the support section, iLok states : Unfortunately, we are not able to offer telephone support, but you may contact our support team by
using the Troubleshooting Guide below. But there isn't a simple contact form!!!!

Surely iLok have the technical skills for users to be able to place licenses on USB sticks? Why is this happening in the music production software industry? I doubt other industries put up with this?

jeam25 06-18-2017 10:25 AM

Re: iLok "support"

Hi do you have the zero downtime coverage ?

https://ilok.com/#!zdt-details

Samba 06-18-2017 10:27 AM

No, I don't.

What professional software companies employ this?

This is ridiculous. I OWN this software, but iLok want to ransom it?! why not make my licenses available straight away?!!!!

metalmixer 06-18-2017 10:29 AM

Touring without Zero downtime?:eek:
When doing live shows back-up solutions are required for any critical system.

Samba 06-18-2017 10:30 AM

Yes I agree, touring without insurance is not wise.

But I do not understand why music production users are putting up with this.

There is an easy solution, but iLok would prefer to make it difficult

jeam25 06-18-2017 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 2435664)
No, I don't.

What professional software companies employ this?

This is ridiculous. I OWN this software, but iLok want to ransom it?! why not make my licenses available straight away?!!!!

Well is up to the ilok owner always , but is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it . Its a service friend i think is fair by the price .

Samba 06-18-2017 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeam25 (Post 2435668)
Well is up to the ilok owner always , but is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it . Its a service friend i think is fair by the price .

Yes, but why would iLok employ this insurance technique in the first place?

It does not happen with products such as Adobe etc

Samba 06-18-2017 10:35 AM

The sooner iLok catch up to technology, and make licenses available online, the better. This should be an easier process.
And, being on tour, it is difficult to have something sent to you, as you have no fixed address.
This system DOES NOT WORK.

And again, where is the ability to email them at this post Unfortunately, we are not able to offer telephone support, but you may contact our support team by
using the Troubleshooting Guide below
?? I wonder why they don't want to be emailed easily?

mriegler 06-18-2017 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samba (Post 2435670)
This system DOES NOT WORK.

And again, where is the ability to email them at this post Unfortunately, we are not able to offer telephone support, but you may contact our support team by
using the Troubleshooting Guide below
?? I wonder why they don't want to be emailed easily?

Well, it does, if you spend the $30 for ZDT and TLC, which happens to be their business model (next to selling iLoks and licensing the technology to software partners like Avid, plugin manufacturers etc).

No phone support could be because of international support offices and time zones, no single form so they can allocate the emails correctly (ZDT answered right away, everything else Monday morning).

I'm a big fan of the convenience and iLok affords me, of course I pay for ZDT and TLC, never needed them yet. Trust me, once you start running after each and every plugin manufacturer now to reissue you a new license, you will REALLY be annoyed. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Good luck.

grayter1 06-18-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriegler (Post 2435676)
Well, it does, if you spend the $30 for ZDT

Well said. The model works just fine.

Pay $30 once a year (which is what, 4 or 5 cups of coffee?) and when disaster strikes, pick up (or Fed-Ex) another iLok and have it restored almost immediately. If you're touring in a town with major music store, like Guitar Center, it's nothing to pickup a new key and have it authorized. Better yet - travel with a spare.

You can dislike "the system", but $30 is certainly worth the peace of mind it affords.

As others have said, good luck.

tg