Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   11R GUI fix mentioned in Avid/GC webinar (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=339379)

nst7 05-29-2013 12:54 PM

11R GUI fix mentioned in Avid/GC webinar

I watched this webinar today and someone asked about the GUI window working in PT11. Gil Gowling (from Avid) responded that it won't be fixed in the initial release of PT11, but in one of the updates afterwards, like one of the dot releases (i.e., 11.1, etc.).

Just wanted to mention that. It's good to know they're aware of the problem and are working on it.

Vercingetorix 05-29-2013 06:58 PM

Re: 11R GUI fix mentioned in Avid/GC webinar

Yes, but even so since the ProTools is not being shipped yet they should be working on this now. And have a dot version ready on release for those of us using an 11R.

Avid just managed to sink to a new low for me - and I didn't think that was possible :(.

guitardom 05-29-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vercingetorix (Post 2044082)
Yes, but even so since the ProTools is not being shipped yet they should be working on this now. And have a dot version ready on release for those of us using an 11R.

Avid just managed to sink to a new low for me - and I didn't think that was possible :(.

Not sure if thats really fair. I would guess it will still work and everything will be as it should, just temporarily not have the gui. Considering everything that is happening and they have a deadline it must be out by, I couldnt fathom what they are going through right now trying to get everything working and ready for release. the fact they know it wont be ready and posted it ahead of time I think is actually cool of them. Much better than being surprised!!

madlo 05-31-2013 12:09 PM

I don't think there is any way to spin this as Avid being "cool".
"Cool" would be releasing software with a complete GUI for the customers that have current supported hardware. In fact, "cool" would be adding features and not taking them away. The minimum expectation ought to be that things in PT11 would work at least as well as they do in 10, but that obviously isn't their stated intention.
Sure they have a lot on their plate, but does that justify removing such an important feature from their flagship upgrade?
not IMHO.

Benoni 05-31-2013 03:47 PM

Lets just wait until PT11 actually comes out before we pass too much judgement here.

Avid is aware of the situation and they are working on it as said in the webinar.

I do agree that sooner it better, but PT11 is not even out yet.

zedhed 05-31-2013 04:58 PM

Fair call Benoni, but I do think they've dropped the ball here considering the time it's taken to get PT11 to a release date & considering it was supposedly a new build from the ground up.

It should never have been an oversight in the first place.

The most annoying thing to me though, is that there is still no mention of a standalone editor. :eek:

Darryl Ramm 05-31-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhed (Post 2044545)
Fair call Benoni, but I do think they've dropped the ball here considering the time it's taken to get PT11 to a release date & considering it was supposedly a new build from the ground up.

It should never have been an oversight in the first place.

The most annoying thing to me though, is that there is still no mention of a standalone editor. :eek:

Lets play "Where's Chris" (hopefully consulting for Avid), that may guide lots of Eleven/Eleven Rack expectations...

Darryl

YYR123 05-31-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madlo (Post 2044484)
I don't think there is any way to spin this as Avid being "cool".
"Cool" would be releasing software with a complete GUI for the customers that have current supported hardware. In fact, "cool" would be adding features and not taking them away.

Nope bring me ProTools 11 first and then bring the 11 rack GUI

madlo 05-31-2013 10:01 PM

Don't misunderstand me, I don't want the GUI to hold up the software release, it just seems like a strange oversight to me and it would be cool if avid hadn't made that oversight in the first place.

Righty27 06-01-2013 12:12 AM

Whilst this is another annoying aspect of the upgrade to PT11 (albeit specific to us 11R users - others like AAX availability are common to all but new users), it may highlight something about the 11R GUI which has made development of the standalone editor such an issue.

So possibly, when Avid finally get around to allocating resource to this, we may get more than expected. Remember, many 11R users, especially those buying units to get a cheap PT10/11 upgrade, will not be aware of this issue and will be using their free support calls to question why 'it doesn't work'. My question is, will 11R function as an interface with PT11 before this issue gets addressed?