Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Surround Panning using midi/usb joystick (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=164431)

fonic 03-29-2006 02:23 PM

Surround Panning using midi/usb joystick

Hi
Has anyone managed or tried to use a mid/usb joystick as a surround panner for PT. I think I can crack it if I can find out the midi controller numbers for the x/y elements for the surround panner. I have found it for stereo panning. I think it is the protocol that JL cooper use for there panner which is far too expensive. I think people would be greatful of an affordable panner thats hands on and not a mouse.

I hope we can solve this.

Jake

iamstudios 03-29-2006 11:22 PM

Re: Surround Panning using midi/usb joystick

It would actually be nice if the Gallery Joystick that's sitting in the closet here can be used again - but Digi isn't supporting the profile anymore. I'd be extremely grateful if someone could get it to live again.

martian 03-30-2006 05:11 PM

the words digidesign and affordable are hardly synonymous...

Tiago Silva 03-31-2006 06:02 AM

How about a small Wacom USB pen tablet, like the PenPartner? It's so small it fits anywhere. It simulates the joystick well enough, you're missing on the rotary controller but I don't use it very much.

PenPartner page

Ditto about the Gallery Axis Panner. Such a shame...

cmaynes 03-31-2006 04:42 PM

Pi Engineering USB Joystick Controller

Hey y'all-

I do not know who has seen this little thingy, but it looks like it would be a nice panner for ProTools- In another thread here, one of the folks at Pi Engineering said a lot of money went into doing an OSX driver for it, but they have not sold many units- I responded by saying that if they could do a setup script which would allow it to talk to PT they could sell at least 100 units.

check it out and cast your vote- Pi Engineering Joystick controller

charles maynes

filmixer 03-31-2006 06:10 PM

Re: Pi Engineering USB Joystick Controller

>check it out and cast your vote<

It looks like it has potential, but I would like it better if you could just get the small center section that has the joystick and seven buttons. It would be easier to use with a console if you could have it near you without it getting in the way. If they did that, they could sell at least a thousand.

dr sound 03-31-2006 06:29 PM

I agree. I would buy at least one. My question for you Filmmixer is I thought you only mixed in mono? What would you do with a joystick panner?

Jonathan Wales 03-31-2006 07:21 PM

2 things on this:

1) We have a JLCooper MCS Panner joystick in one edit room, and it is ugly as all hell but works great.

2) Digidesign provides no output of pan position information back from the app to a joystick, thus any motorized joysticks other than those on the procontrol editpack will not work because they have no way of knowing where to move to. I dont think this will ever be changed as it is not in Digidesign's best interest to do so.

cmaynes 03-31-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:

2 things on this:

1) We have a JLCooper MCS Panner joystick in one edit room, and it is ugly as all hell but works great.

2) Digidesign provides no output of pan position information back from the app to a joystick, thus any motorized joysticks other than those on the procontrol editpack will not work because they have no way of knowing where to move to. I dont think this will ever be changed as it is not in Digidesign's best interest to do so.

Just like the ICON- the only thing panner that is motorized is the Edit Pack.

charles maynes

filmixer 03-31-2006 07:26 PM

>...I thought you only mixed in mono? What would you do with a joystick panner?<

Oh, the Directors love to play with them. Keeps 'em busy while I try to make the dialog sound good. Mono rules! I still use all the speakers though so it's REALLY LOUD mono.