Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 9 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   How to buy additional license? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=307826)

uneaq 09-19-2011 02:25 PM

How to buy additional license?

I have searched thru 20+ pages and have not found my answer yet, so I will ask in a new thread....

My friend bought PT9 recently for us to use. We planned on having a setup at his house, on his mac, for recording... and a setup at my house, on windows, for mixing.

Of course we can do this and use the 1 single ilok included in the PT package. But how exactly can we go about getting another ilok, so we both can have 1?

He is signed up/registered on ilok.com..... So could we just buy a new ilok, and copy the assets from our current ilok, to a new one? So we'd then have 2?

This is what I'm confused on. I keep reading we must buy another license..but I have not found out how to go about doing so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Craig F 09-19-2011 02:37 PM

Re: How to buy additional license?

what your are trying to do is piracy

you ether take the iLok to the place you want to use the software or go to the stor and pony up for another copy

uneaq 09-19-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig F (Post 1836553)
what your are trying to do is piracy

you ether take the iLok to the place you want to use the software or go to the stor and pony up for another copy

Piracy would be looking for a cracked version of Pro Tools or otherwise illegal version.... I'm asking how I can buy, from Avid, ilok, DigiDesign, etc.

I'm not looking for anything pirated. Looking to legitimately obtain/buy an extra ilok/license. I don't see how that is piracy.

So when you say "...or go to the store and pony up for another copy" You are saying we'd have to actually buy another copy of PT9? There is no way for any of the companies involved to sell just an extra ilok/license?

bradch00 09-19-2011 02:57 PM

I don't think there's a way to buy another full PT9 license (from Avid) without actually getting the boxed version. Doesn't look like there's a "license only" option to buy. So, where ever you picked up your current version of PT 9, purchase another copy.

brickroadstudio 09-19-2011 02:59 PM

You would need to pay for another copy. You cant copy assets from one ilok to another-- that would defeat the whole point,
However, there are versions of pro tools you can buy that dont have mboxes or any other hardware connected, its cheaper.
Look on ebay, People sell ilok assets.
So you could, say, spend $100 on ebay for a pt 9 asset and that person can transfer it to your account, then you can put that on your other ilok and download the software and you are good to go and legal.

Emcha_audio 09-19-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uneaq (Post 1836558)
Piracy would be looking for a cracked version of Pro Tools or otherwise illegal version.... I'm asking how I can buy, from Avid, ilok, DigiDesign, etc.

I'm not looking for anything pirated. Looking to legitimately obtain/buy an extra ilok/license. I don't see how that is piracy.

So when you say "...or go to the store and pony up for another copy" You are saying we'd have to actually buy another copy of PT9? There is no way for any of the companies involved to sell just an extra ilok/license?

There was a time where Digidesign had more license for each clients, but then those clients turned around and started to sell the license, which were then used by people on the software they had downloaded via torrents sites. So it was decided that there would be only 1 license per software/ilock.

If you bought an other ilock you would only be able to transfer the license from the one you already owned to the new one, and the old ilock would not work with your pro tools as there would be no license on it any longer.

Wither or not your friend actually did buy the boxed version or the download version from Avid's site, Avid has no way to verify the legitimacy of the programs that is installed on your computer.

uneaq 09-19-2011 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emcha_audio (Post 1836565)
There was a time where Digidesign had more license for each clients, but then those clients turned around and started to sell the license, which were then used by people on the software they had downloaded via torrents sites. So it was decided that there would be only 1 license per software/ilock.

If you bought an other ilock you would only be able to transfer the license from the one you already owned to the new one, and the old ilock would not work with your pro tools as there would be no license on it any longer.

Wither or not your friend actually did buy the boxed version or the download version from Avid's site, Avid has no way to verify the legitimacy of the programs that is installed on your computer.

Ordered the **new**boxed version from Amazon.com, actually. But I understand what you're saying. thanks for the reply

uneaq 09-19-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickroadstudio (Post 1836563)
You would need to pay for another copy. You cant copy assets from one ilok to another-- that would defeat the whole point,
However, there are versions of pro tools you can buy that dont have mboxes or any other hardware connected, its cheaper.
Look on ebay, People sell ilok assets.
So you could, say, spend $100 on ebay for a pt 9 asset and that person can transfer it to your account, then you can put that on your other ilok and download the software and you are good to go and legal.

Thanks for your reply. I will look deeper into this to insure it is legal, and if so, will probably go that route. Thanks again.

brickroadstudio 09-19-2011 03:24 PM

Its perfectly legal.
Pace charges you $25 to transfer your asset (which is property that you rightfully own) to another user.

If I wanted to sell you my Waves Q10 for example, I could sell it to you, or give it to you-- but I'd have to pay $25 to have them deposit that into your account.

This is legal because its not pirated, its still one license, thats paid for, just in the hand of another person.

Emcha_audio 09-19-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brickroadstudio (Post 1836575)
Its perfectly legal.
Pace charges you $25 to transfer your asset (which is property that you rightfully own) to another user.

If I wanted to sell you my Waves Q10 for example, I could sell it to you, or give it to you-- but I'd have to pay $25 to have them deposit that into your account.

This is legal because its not pirated, its still one license, thats paid for, just in the hand of another person.

The only reason why it's legal, is because You no longer have the license after that. You wouldn't be able to use your q10 plugins due to no longer having the license to use it. Same goes for pro tools.

Here (the OP question) we were talking of having two instance of the same license on two different ilock, which is not legal.