Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ICON & C|24 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New XMON user, help please (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=416979)

Loudyman 09-10-2021 09:27 PM

New XMON user, help please

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I recently bought an used D-Command ES 24 with XMON.

The XMON version I received is an AVID S6 XMON, for AVID S6 Control Surface.
It was shipped in original box with nearly all accessories and the registration card with the serial number.

The problem is that I didn't receive the 15-pin to 15-pin XMON Control cable but only the XMON Control Breakout Adapter,
which is a 15-pin to MIDI IN, MIDI OUT, XLR and 1/4 TRS adapter.

So, my questions are:

1) Does this S6 XMON version is well compatible with the D-Command ES when it is directly connected with a 15-pin to 15-pin XMON Control cable ?

I ask this because the 15-pin connector pinouts numbering are different in the AVID D-Command ES Manual and in the AVID S6 XMON EUCON Manual.

(See attachments below) : RS422 IN/OUT are not connected and Headphones L/R are reversed.

2) What is the good pinouts numbering if I buy a custom made 15-pin to 15-pin cable ?

3) Can I use two XMON Control Breakout Adapters instead of a 15-pin to 15-pin cable ? (D-Command ES <-> Breakout Adapter <-> regular cables <-> Breakout Adapter <-> XMON)

I can't find any Audio Specifications for the S6 XMON,

4) What is the maximum level in dBu for the MAIN Inputs and MAIN Outputs ?

5) What is the impedance in Ohms for the MAIN Inputs and MAIN Outputs ?

6) What is the Noise Floor level in dBu at unity gain at the MAIN Outputs ?

7) Does the signal path for all inputs to any outputs remain strictly analog ? Is there an additional latency ?

Thanks for any help,
Loudy.

LDS 09-13-2021 10:02 PM

Re: New XMON user, help please

The XMON can be controlled via RS422 or Midi. The ICON series used RS422, while the S6 and EUCON uses Midi. You will need the 15-pin to 15-pin cable. Some people just buy an off the shelf 15 pin cable, then snap off the pins not being used according to the diagram.

albee1952 09-14-2021 09:26 AM

AFAIK, all X-Mon's are the same. If you didn't get a manual with it, just google search for it.:D

Loudyman 09-17-2021 06:06 PM

Thanks guys,
I'm still undecided if I will use the XMON as my main "monitor controller" or not.
That's a pity because I'm sure it's a good unit and well designed for my setup but I miss the audio specs !
Until now, I have found this:

Frequency Response : 20 Hz – 200 kHz, +/-0.1 dB
THD+N : 0.0006 @ 1 kHz @ +15 dBu

Maximum Input Level : +26 dB
-> Is it +26 dBu ? or +26 dB over +4 dBu ? Is it for all Inputs ?

Maximum Output Level : Unknown

Inputs Impedance : Unknown
Outputs Impedance : Unknown

Noise Floor : - 93 dBu (gain and trim at 0dB) (according to CB Electronics TMC-1 xmon guide)

Any help before I buy all audio / control cables ?
Loudy.

LDS 09-18-2021 07:21 PM

The XMON is a very professionally piece of kit through and through. To the point people are still using it even after spending $70,000 after upgrading to a shiny new Avid S6.

I wouldn't give it a second thought.

PTPerson 09-19-2021 02:52 PM

XMON is great.

Just do it.

Sugarnutz 09-21-2021 08:40 PM

I’m kinda/sorta in the same boat. I’ve got an original, blue D-Command and a rev.f XMon. From my D-Command manual it has the pinout as below which appears to use all 15 pins and a shield/ground between the housings on the DB15. Am I missing something on this cable? I used a 20ft serial cable male on one end, female on the other removing the female and putting a barrier strip type DB15 male in its place wiring all pins for both ends. Still rewiring my whole setup so haven’t tried this cable yet to see if it works, just looking for a heads up if I need it.

https://i.imgur.com/raYd8Ha.png

Loudyman 09-21-2021 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Sugarnutz,

Here are the things I've found for the XMON's control cable:

a) A standard 15-pin to 15-pin cable with all pins connected will not work. (I didn't try, but have read this on the forum)

b) When building a custom XMON cable these guidelines should be followed (From Avid Knowledge Base):

Here are the general specifications for the XMON cable.

⦁ Belden 9505 equivalent cable, 24 gauge, with sets of 5 twisted pairs.
⦁ Stranded tinned copper conductor
⦁ Twisted pairs
⦁ Cores cabled under Aluminum/Mylar foil
⦁ Tinned stranded copper drain wire
⦁ PVC jacket Rate: 80 deg C, 300V (2464), 105 deg C 300V (2517)
⦁ Passes VW-1SC vertical flame test
⦁ Connectors are DB15P: DBW10-15K1200-S
⦁ Thumbscrews are AL40*330TNPB00A
Only 5 pairs of cables are used: Signal pairs are 1 & 9, 2 & 10, 5 & 13, 6 & 14, 8 & 15

From the pdf:
Shell connects to Shell (is it the ground signal ?)
Pins 3, 4, 7, 11, 12 are unused and unconnected

Here's a pdf from Avid with detailed wiring instructions:

Loudy.

Sugarnutz 09-22-2021 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudyman (Post 2614271)
Hi Sugarnutz,

Here are the things I've found for the XMON's control cable:

a) A standard 15-pin to 15-pin cable with all pins connected will not work. (I didn't try, but have read this on the forum)

b) When building a custom XMON cable these guidelines should be followed (From Avid Knowledge Base):

Here are the general specifications for the XMON cable.

⦁ Belden 9505 equivalent cable, 24 gauge, with sets of 5 twisted pairs.
⦁ Stranded tinned copper conductor
⦁ Twisted pairs
⦁ Cores cabled under Aluminum/Mylar foil
⦁ Tinned stranded copper drain wire
⦁ PVC jacket Rate: 80 deg C, 300V (2464), 105 deg C 300V (2517)
⦁ Passes VW-1SC vertical flame test
⦁ Connectors are DB15P: DBW10-15K1200-S
⦁ Thumbscrews are AL40*330TNPB00A
Only 5 pairs of cables are used: Signal pairs are 1 & 9, 2 & 10, 5 & 13, 6 & 14, 8 & 15

From the pdf:
Shell connects to Shell (is it the ground signal ?)
Pins 3, 4, 7, 11, 12 are unused and unconnected

Here's a pdf from Avid with detailed wiring instructions:

Loudy.

Thank You so much!

antonis 10-15-2021 03:54 PM

Worth pointing out here that a Midi-connected X-Mon can connect in a EuCon network, thus controlled from the Control app and an iPad.

This means, with the current 2nd price of the X-Mons that one can get a very decent monitor controller for a ridiculously low price.

I believe this also “unlocks” the 7.1 functionality of the unit, that otherwise the D-Command users di not get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk