Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Hard Drive for Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=340971)

Becharax 06-29-2013 09:04 AM

Hard Drive for Pro Tools 11

Hey Guys,

I just bought a Lacie 1TB thunderbolt drive, only to find out it has a 5200RPM drive in it ... :S

it won't be any good for a system drive, would it be fast enough for a drive where i put the samples and libraries or an audio drive to record the projects?

Cheers

Darryl Ramm 06-29-2013 09:10 AM

Re: Hard Drive for Pro Tools 11

it is a backup drive at best. Or return it and buy a better drive. Just not worth wasting time with this drive.

kelco83 06-29-2013 09:58 AM

Whats your storage requirement and budget?

If you can afford even a modest SSD the speed increase would be substancial.

5200rpm hd on thunderbolt is like riding a bicycle on the autobahn.

Darryl Ramm 06-29-2013 10:24 AM

Yep it should be hard to justify *not* buying an SSD.

Which exact Model MBP? One with an optical drive? Toss it out and you can run two fantastic SSDs internally. No cables to live with and modern MBP can talk SATA III (6Gbps) to both drives. Up to 512 GB each/ 1TB total. Get Samsung 840 Pros. See my advice elsewhere on DUC about enabling TRIM etc. on these drives.

Becharax 06-29-2013 05:00 PM

no darryl ... it's an iMac i am trying my MBP is running a samsung ssd 840 pro

i am screwed then ... i cant return it back ... i paid 300$ for it ... u sure it is totally unuseful ?? not even a library drive for kontakt, omnisphere ??

SpinningDisk 06-29-2013 05:14 PM

Use it for back up. By yourself a Glyph. I speak for myself. You will always need backup😧

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Darryl Ramm 06-29-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Bechara (Post 2056467)
no darryl ... it's an iMac i am trying my MBP is running a samsung ssd 840 pro

i am screwed then ... i cant return it back ... i paid 300$ for it ... u sure it is totally unuseful ?? not even a library drive for kontakt, omnisphere ??

The potential future risk of problems with Pro Tools is not worth your time. Yes, use if for backup. And don't buy stuff like this where it cannot be returned, in the USA Amazon, Sweetwater, and many others will take stuff back for just about any reason.

And Oh Jesus, Kontakt, you can learn the hard way that Kontakt is very performance sensitive. You really want those samples on a fast drive. SSD are absolutely fantastic for this.

You can open up an iMac if you really want to, lots of instructions online. You can upgrade the internal drive to an SSD and/or on some older ones have two drives internally. Lacie make external Thunderbolt "Little BigDisk" SSD drives that I hear work well. But I'd like to know the exact SSD they use--presumably Seagate who owns Lacie (Seagate SSD are likely not a great thing, worse than a Samsung 840 Pro and similar performance leaders. ) and play with/benchmark one before just solidly recommending it. Otherwise personally I'd look for a Thunderbolt or USB 3 carrier and stick in a Samsung 840 Pro SSD or a WDC Caviar Black if cost and/or huge capacity is an issue.

Darryl

kelco83 06-29-2013 06:27 PM

Can you take the 5200rpm drive out of the enclosure? IF so, stick something else in there and ebay the old drive.:D

Sardi 06-29-2013 07:50 PM

Why on earth would a company ship a Thunderbolt enclosure with a 5400RPM drive?

That has got to be the craziest thing I've read in a while. :eek:

Darryl Ramm 06-29-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sardi (Post 2056511)
Why on earth would a company ship a Thunderbolt enclosure with a 5400RPM drive?

That has got to be the craziest thing I've read in a while. :eek:

Because suckers will buy them. And there is always some demand at the low end if you price cheap.

Or why are so many USB3 drives only 5,400 rpm?

Or why are people still buying spinning HDD instead of SSD at all in the quantity they are?

Why does WD make such absolutely [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty drives as the Caviar Green (and avoids labeling external drives with useful performance data?). Same answer.

Same answers.

I'm not holding out long term hope for Lacie given they are now owned by Seagate. Especially as all storage goes SSD, and companies like Samsung and Micron are just rocking it with fantastic technology/products. Lots of blood is yet to flow in the storage market.

Darryl