Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Waiting for video engine to launch. stuck progress bar (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=404754)

ballison 05-16-2019 08:25 AM

Waiting for video engine to launch. stuck progress bar

I cannot get the video engine to work properly. I have a 2018 Mac mini running os x 10.14.4

the "waiting for video engine to launch" progress bar fills up slowly but then does nothing once it fills. i then have to force quit pro tools. Ive tried all the steps outlined in this page but have had no success.

ive even created a new admin account, cleared all prefs and databases, tried enabling it without a session open. nothing has been working. Any ideas?

mattrixx 05-16-2019 05:24 PM

Re: Waiting for video engine to launch. stuck progress bar

Yes, the video engine is a dogs breakfast and has been for a long time.

ballison 05-20-2019 05:42 AM

no one has had this issue? what are my options?

mattrixx 05-20-2019 06:02 AM

I’m having this problem very often.
A restart of the Mac usually sorts it for a while. However, if I reopen ProToolsUltimate later in the day fro example, it will result in a Video Engine was unable to open error... A restart of the Mac sorts it out again.

I am using a Blackmagic Mini monitor (thunderbolt 2) and I suspect something is not quite right in conjunction with the AVID Video Engine. (Tested with various versions of the BM driver software).

Herge 06-04-2019 09:03 AM

Hello,

Anyone succeeded to troubleshoot this issue ? Is it better without the Blackmagic card ? Do you both have a mini monitor card ?

We got the same problem here...

mattrixx 06-04-2019 09:05 AM

I'm still having issues with this. ..oh and yes, I am using a Blackmagic Mini Monitor (Thunderbolt 2)

Eric Lambert 06-04-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattrixx (Post 2526091)
Yes, the video engine is a dogs breakfast and has been for a long time.

It sure was -- a tough thorn in my sock on a daily basis -- but I have to admit that it's been entirely stable for me since jumping into 2019.5 and Mojave.

bennym 06-04-2019 12:22 PM

This issue...always this sodding issue..

Now on a 2018 MacMini running 10.14.5, has been fine for a couple of months in regards to this and..today I can't get rid of it..

One thing AVID mentioned was this:
- Delete the "AvidVideoEngine" in "Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/"
..which works 75% of the time.

mattrixx 06-04-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric Lambert (Post 2528463)
It sure was -- a tough thorn in my sock on a daily basis -- but I have to admit that it's been entirely stable for me since jumping into 2019.5 and Mojave.

Just out of interest Eric. What hardware are you using in conjunction with the video engine? Blackmagic?

Regads,
Matt

Eric Lambert 06-04-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattrixx (Post 2528494)
Just out of interest Eric. What hardware are you using in conjunction with the video engine? Blackmagic?

Regads,
Matt

HDMI out of the Mac to a Samsung 4K TV, used as an extended desktop.