Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

BigRedButton 03-08-2002 10:19 AM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

MikeD -

I forgot to ask in my last post.

I really liked the warm deep snare drum tone on "Just Walk Away". What are the stats - type and size of drum,head,tuning,mic,
compression,type of room, etc.?

scott_stouffer 03-08-2002 02:34 PM

MERCYSHOT

help me out!! i'm completely new to mixing/mastering, and i want to learn how to do this correctly. what kinds of things am i doing wrong? there are 4 songs....they all seem to lack that big sound that we're looking for...what do the pros do specifically for this? i know theres a stereo imager thingy but i don't know if that would fix this.....never used it.

email me @ [email protected]

Roy Howell 03-08-2002 03:20 PM

BigRedButton/Jackson,
I finally took some minutes and listened to your recent stuff. "rusty justice..." hehe, nice lyric in 'Wrecking Ball', and nice change in the middle too. In 'Perfect Mistake', my only suggestion would only be that Robert's voice could come up a touch IMHO... So that's you on drums, eh? Good job. Is that a pad/synth snare during the verses, or did you just program it in?

Of all these songs though, my favorite has to be Kim Krenik's 'Healing Child'. It's really, really nice (Check it out guys).

Now, I'm listening through the flu, but sounds great to me... Keep up the good work, Bro. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Roy

MikeD 03-08-2002 04:08 PM

Hey BigRedButton,

My drummer's snare is a mystery, at least to me. He got it in jr high (he is in his mid thirties now) and the snare is a piece of junk, literally. I have been begging him to change for years now. He is just to cheap to do so. That being said, he does a good job tuning it. I had him change to a Remo Powerstroke head and tune it up pretty tight. I think he is using a 50 strand snare. I mic'd it up with a Shure Beta 57 just over the rim pointed towards the center of the drum. The snare itself is somewhere in the neighborhood of four to five inches in depth and I believe 13" in diameter. It is a standard metal snare like you would get on any beginners kit. I think the Remo head and his tuning really make the big difference. Also, the reverb on the snare helped warm it up quite a bit as well (D-verb). Thanks for listening! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

stut5 03-08-2002 08:54 PM

DR.JOHN,
Your songwriting is really strong excellent tunes Loved Pauline and Stay with me.Production is fantastic.My only critque would be to lose the word Darling in the song Stay with Me.I think that word is dated and also is not easily sung to sound contemporary with your song.I think your song would be even stronger to simply sat Stay With Me and nothing in between until your next Lyrical Phrase.Who's this guy on here that said he listened to most of the 13 pages on this string but has only heard one thing worth hearing.Probably the same huy that through Bostons more than afeeling in the trash can.I love your stuff and will post some of mine soon.Keep crankin. Stu

BigRedButton 03-08-2002 09:11 PM

Roy -

Thanks for your encouragement! I'm actually re-recording all the vocal tracks this week. Rob is coming up from California (where I used to live)to record 7 more songs, and he's asked me to sing all the lead tracks.

Yep, that's me on drums on all those tracks except the punk band. That is a synth drum loop on the verses of Perfect Mistake.

MikeD -
Thanks for the info. You gotta love those old metal snares - Great job capturing such a classic sound!

stut5 03-08-2002 11:41 PM

DR. JOHN what keyboards are you using love the brass sounds on Pauline.

Dr.John 03-09-2002 02:40 AM

Stut5,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I was beginning to think nobody was interested in giving us a listen. I agree with you that the word "darlin" is a bit funky. Lyrics are our weak spot. Hey, I'm a surgeon, not a poet. The other interesting thing is that our singer doesn't speak a word of English, I have to coach him a bit, but I think he does a fantastic job. Our keyboards are kinda old, Roland JV1080 and D70. Drums are midi, as is bass (ha! the drums are out of a Roland PMA-5!!) Our stuff is all a bit dated, as we are all pushin' 40 or already there. Can't run away from your style, unless you are a real pro. Again, thanks for your kind words, and let me know if you have any more questions, but I warn you, our production facilities/methods are pretty low-tech!

Dr.John
click at your own risk!

Roy Howell 03-09-2002 10:09 AM

BRB,
"he's asked me to sing all the lead tracks."
Wise move...this should make good songs even better, given your superior voice(in my opinion).
rh

BigRedButton 03-09-2002 10:17 AM

aw..garsh...thanks. (blush)