Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Moving From Softube Console 1 to Avid dock? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=421704)

Chevron 09-21-2022 02:01 AM

Moving From Softube Console 1 to Avid dock?

I've been a long-time user of Console 1 with Pro Tools, and love it. It really helps to move quickly and the static layout is really great to become accustomed to.

Recently though I have seen some great videos on the Avid dock, and I have to say it looks very cool. Takes up similar desk space, and has way more features and is much more powerful.

I feel that maybe only having 8 knobs might be a drawback, but maybe not.

I am curious if anyone also made the change from C1 to the Avid dock?

EddieJones 09-22-2022 08:23 AM

Re: Moving From Softube Console 1 to Avid dock?

I can't speak to Console 1 but the recently released Custom plugin knob layouts certainly helps with the 8 knobs. Also coming later this year you can build these with 2 controls per knob and switch between them.

originalscottyg 09-22-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2647768)
I can't speak to Console 1 but the recently released Custom plugin knob layouts certainly helps with the 8 knobs. Also coming later this year you can build these with 2 controls per knob and switch between them.

That's awesome Eddie! Any chance the switching is done via the push-click?

EddieJones 09-22-2022 10:14 AM

Click the Sel switch

Chevron 09-26-2022 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2647782)
Click the Sel switch switch

Excuse my ignorance, what is the "Sel switch switch"?

EddieJones 09-26-2022 09:22 AM

Its the switch to the left of the knobs

EddieJones 09-28-2022 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalscottyg (Post 2647780)
That's awesome Eddie! Any chance the switching is done via the push-click?

Are you OK with dropping into automation each time you switch between knobs? Pushing the knob top, touches the knob so this would happen.

BlueTardis 03-06-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevron (Post 2647622)
I've been a long-time user of Console 1 with Pro Tools, and love it. It really helps to move quickly and the static layout is really great to become accustomed to.

Recently though I have seen some great videos on the Avid dock, and I have to say it looks very cool. Takes up similar desk space, and has way more features and is much more powerful.

I feel that maybe only having 8 knobs might be a drawback, but maybe not.

I am curious if anyone also made the change from C1 to the Avid dock?

How did you go with this?
I find myself in a similar conundrum.

I love that I can assign anything anywhere but I am frustrated by the lack of actual knobs. I dont need more faders I need more knobs.
(I am generally working with "console style" plugins and these are consistent but have an EQ/Dynamics/etc layout that uses around 18-20. I know I can split these across pages but ideally would need 9 per page.)

The Console1 does this relatively well (but doesnt seem to play well with 3rd party plugins).
Avid control dock/fader setups seem great - be awesome to have an expansion of just knobs though.

Any ideas?

SKI 03-07-2023 08:44 AM

The combination of the Dock and tablet allows for some quick navigation if you take the time to learn and associate the flow.

The tablet gives a great representation of what you are doing as well as the ability to actually control things while maintaining what I feel is a logical layout for the controls on the hardware.

I'm really a fan of how easy it is to understand the flow of EUCON devices.