Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Control App and Cubase///No session without some hick ups!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=417005)

anason-records 09-12-2021 02:08 PM

Control App and Cubase///No session without some hick ups!!!

Could you guys plz check the app and cubase 11.

I own 2x S1s, a dock. Have an ipad. and 2 Trekstor Tablets.

There is no mixing session 3-4 hours that you would not encounter multiple/repeating problems. Either i have to restart the eucon software, or the app on tablets...multiple times in a 3-4 hour session. And i know this is not on my end, has nothing to do with my setup since i also know some stuff which i already wrote long ago...got confirmed that there is an issue.

Here are some examples:
If you add or delet tracks the App freaks out (not allways, sometimes.) all of a sudden stops showing tracks etc.

If you open the Eucon Software to change a button's mapping, customization...it will freak out. And these are all known issues since years!!!!

And pretty often on one of the Trekstor Tablets the meters freez. This was the same when i owned Fire Tablets. Happens when you go back and fort between different channel visibility settings or add/delete multiple tracks at a time in the project.

And this is smth i wrote last year...also quite often the eucon software forgets some of the custom programmed buttons. Can be on the right, or left strip of Dock or some of the custom programmed transport buttons. Weird part is, some still function, some not. Or some start doing different things which they are not programmed, mapped for!

I love this product and the idea behind it. Eucon and these products are one of the most promissing stuff out there but it makes me also feel not smart to dump more than 5k on a system which still does not work as promissed. Yes it is getting better but where as i get weekly, monthly updates with most other products, you get couple updates per year with Avid! I understand this is not an easy task and it's really hard to keep up with all DAWs, operating systems and all...but than, don't sell it before you know it works!

An example, i mentioned an issue last week, and it got confirmed that smth is broken....now experience says i need to wait at least 5-6 months till this gets fixed, if it gets fixed at all with the next update!!! You miss the next one, another 5-6 months, maybe a year.

It makes me really think Avid is not able to keep up with the promisses and integration across different platforms, DAWs and they are struggling seriously!

Cubase users...if you think of diving deep with these products, customizing most buttons etc...yes you will enjoy it, it will speed up your work flow a lot...but with all the hick ups, crashes etc...you will never feel like you are really using a pro level gear/setup worth thousands of dollars, to the point if a client is in your studio...you should better turn it off! this is the plain truth, sorry. It works KIND OF

EddieJones 09-13-2021 05:16 PM

Re: Control App and Cubase///No session without some hick ups!!!

I'm sorry you are having these issues. As you probably already know EUCON with 3rd party DAW's is a team effort. Sometime the issues are on our side sometimes Steinberg's. Avid usually checks out any reported issues and if they are not ours forward them on. Steinberg have been quite active on EUCON lately so make sure Cubase is up to date.

The add and remove tracks issue has been reported to Steinberg.

Opening EuControl to change softkeys issue I don't remember, could you make a short video of the issue or point me to the original post?

The meters freezing, I'd thought we'd fixed, maybe its something different, I'll get the guys to look into it.

I think I might know what the issue is with the softkeys on the Dock and these should hopefully be fixed in 21.10

For any EuControl crashes could you right click on EuControl and select Collect logs and post a link for me to download them.

Thanks Eddie

anason-records 09-13-2021 05:47 PM

Re: Control App and Cubase///No session without some hick ups!!!

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the usual quick response.

I am on latest version Cubase 11 Pro(11.0.30). And yes i know, steinberg did a lot for Eucon (Channel Visibiility etc) with the latest update and i think i contrubuted some to it. I was writing back and fort with multiple engineers from Steinberg before the update for several months.

To correct my post: I get Eucon or App crash very very rare.

But as i am writing this i am in the middle of a session, and today probably for the 5th time again some keys programming (on dock and on ipad ones under control surface) they stop working. I don't know what causes this but i think errors are way more frequent if i open the Eucon software to make changes.

I am glad most of the stuff i mention is known/confirmed (i have to say also these are things i posted last year couple of times) but the ways it is since yet and now it gets really frustrating to work with the units...when every hour smth goes wrong, i think you can imagine how frustrating it can get.

With some stuff i understand that it's not only about Avid but also it's on Steinberg. But i think with these sofykey issues etc it is about the App and the Units. Since my shorts cuts under Cubase for the same commands keep on working.