Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is the Coronavirus pandemic affecting your business? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=408882)

DonaldM 03-12-2020 09:26 AM

Is the Coronavirus pandemic affecting your business?

I'm just wondering how you all are coping around the globe with the coronavirus concerns and the economic upheavals. Is it affecting your business?

I hope you all are taking prudent precautions to stay healthy. :-)

Donald M

henningaround 03-12-2020 12:28 PM

Re: Is the Coronavirus pandemic affecting your business?

"Home Office" here in Cologne, Germany. Just a little bit ADR and dialogue edit on headphones with my small mobile rig. But mixing schedules stay as they are [emoji58]

cwsand 03-12-2020 03:23 PM

I'm only recording myself and mixing and editing for others until the new studio gets built. Everything's done online or over the phone right now so I'm good.

TOM@METRO 03-12-2020 04:53 PM

All communication is now online here. (We work in peace.) :-)

JCBigler 03-12-2020 09:36 PM

The rest of this week and next week of our tour has been cancelled.

No word beyond next week, but I'm expecting to be on layoff for between 2 and 4 weeks. And since all the rest of the live event production business and every other tour has cancelled, there won't be any local work either.

All of Broadway is shut down until at least April 12th. Many tours are canceled indefinitely.

John_Toolbox 03-13-2020 03:45 AM

For the last few years, all of my studio work has been remote. I have actually been offered more work than my normal workload, because people are hoping I will stay home or be forced to stay home from my day job and have more time available. My day job is slightly slower than normal, but that’s typical for this time of year so I’m not sure if the virus has any effect on it.

The amount of panic and hoarding related to this is getting ridiculous. I guess it’s what we get for relying on social media as a credible source of information.

TOM@METRO 03-13-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2556911)

People say we should spend more money to look for intelligent life on other planets but how about looking on earth first ;)

Something to think about. :-)

amagras 03-13-2020 07:15 AM

March break has been extended 2 more weeks here in Canada so I will have a couple of interns age 5 and 6 in the studio for a month...

Correction, it's 3 weeks.

musicman691 03-16-2020 03:37 PM

Not much effect here as I haven't had any commisions in quite a while. Mostly self-projects like doing the whole Mikado in piano - yes everything and not just the well-known tunes.

Haven't heard anything from Sweetwater but I deal quite a bit with B&H in NYC and they're closing their store to walk-in customers. They're still doing internet & phone sales & support though they warned that support will be working from their homes. They moved their warehousing to New Jersey a while back and that's still working as near as I know.

What isn't working are bars & restaurants in NJ, NY and Connecticut. As of 8PM eastern they're closing for the duration. You can still get delivery and take out through the usual suspects. NY's Governor Cuomo worked this out with the other 2 govs.

Went to a local family market with the wife to pick up some supplies and food and most of the shelves were bare. That's not from people hoarding as that sort of clientel don't go to this store - it's all locals. The issue is the store just isn't getting supplies in.

We're prepared to hunker down for as long as it takes. Hopefully the power, water & internet will hold out ;)

Ben Jenssen 03-16-2020 06:16 PM

Is it going to affect our business...
Isn't 'our business' one of the most vulnerable to a big convolution like this?

Music industry, we're actually among the expendables.