Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Help me not make a mistake (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=286960)

KrisHeinold 11-12-2010 08:07 PM

Help me not make a mistake

I was looking at getting a PCIX card off eBay but sellers won't provide the transfer of ownership. With these older cards is it still nessasary? I would believe if I want to upgrade cards or have problems they would need to be in my name. Any input would help a lot.

BradLyons 11-12-2010 08:11 PM

Re: Help me not make a mistake

I don't understand why would they NOT provide a transfer of ownership? If they are selling it, then they no longer have the legal rights to ownership of the card. Something smells here....BAD!

KrisHeinold 11-12-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradLyons (Post 1701598)
I don't understand why would they NOT provide a transfer of ownership? If they are selling it, then they no longer have the legal rights to ownership of the card. Something smells here....BAD!

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Their message to my question:

Sorry, due to the volume of Digidesign gear we sell, we
never do transfers.
We've never had any issues with not doing it though,
and we've sold
thousands of things from Digidesign.

Thank
you,

Jay
Fox River Sound

They have over a thousand feedback at 100%. My only thinking is they got it and didn't get transfer of ownership so now they aren't a registered owner and wouldn't do any good for me

KrisHeinold 11-12-2010 09:41 PM

I guess i can ask is the transfer of ownership even worth getting on this old of a card?

KingFish 11-12-2010 09:45 PM

Apparently (and you'll have to verify this) - if you DONT do the transfer of ownership, you can't do the "Crossgrade" deals that digidesign offers if you ever wanted to.

KrisHeinold 11-12-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingFish (Post 1701659)
Apparently (and you'll have to verify this) - if you DONT do the transfer of ownership, you can't do the "Crossgrade" deals that digidesign offers if you ever wanted to.

ahhh see i was afraid of this. It makes sense i wouldn't be able to get them. I think its just better to get it. I will prob send him another email specifically asking if he could do the transfer of ownership. What if he is not the registered owner? Will avid still uphold the sale and accept me as the owner?

If someone from avid could come in and comment that would be AWESOME

Stig Eliassen 11-13-2010 02:38 AM

Get the transfer of ownership done, or walk away. That's my advise. If you buy it, it's yours. I'm sure they never had issues with skipping the transfer, but what about the buyers?

KrisHeinold 11-13-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PT Lover (Post 1701733)
Get the transfer of ownership done, or walk away. That's my advise. If you buy it, it's yours. I'm sure they never had issues with skipping the transfer, but what about the buyers?

Yeah I completely agree. Thanks for the advice everyone

Hotcrazyfruit 11-13-2010 01:53 PM

Think they could be exploiting the fact that any music made is copyright of the registered hardware owner? (and make an attempt to steal your music :D) Just a little speculation. I couldn't see any other reason as to why they wouldn't do it, it takes 5 minutes to fill out the form, if that.

Nick

KrisHeinold 11-13-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotcrazyfruit (Post 1702055)
Think they could be exploiting the fact that any music made is copyright of the registered hardware owner? (and make an attempt to steal your music :D) Just a little speculation. I couldn't see any other reason as to why they wouldn't do it, it takes 5 minutes to fill out the form, if that.

Nick

I know right! But I sent him a message back we will see what he says. Even if they didn't register they can fill it out right?