Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   VENUE Live Sound Systems (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   SC48 pops when linking or un linking stereo channels (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=341692)

lorenaguey 07-12-2013 08:14 AM

SC48 pops when linking or un linking stereo channels

The weird thing about this is that we had a separate monitor desk, and the SC48 at FOH was causing a pop through ALL the monitors with the input faders down.

It also briefly mutes the desk. As in I had a super quick line check and didn't get around to linking stereo keys until after they started. Pop through the wedges and split second mute of everything at FOH. After the show was over for curiosities sake I unlinked to see if it would happen again, sure enough, another pop through the monitors.

This was with a passive split, one going into the mix rack, the other tail going into the monitor desk.

Is this normal on this desk? I guess I never noticed it before because usually my channels would be linked ahead of time.

Brent Lind 07-12-2013 08:51 AM

Re: SC48 pops when linking or un linking stereo channels

This is normal behavior, and the reason the linking function requires you to put the desk in "config" mode. Config mode is required for any function that may interrupt audio and is thus not a good idea during performance. The fact that it affected monitors is simply because it was on a passive split. An active split would likely have popped in FOH but not monitors. This is not to say a passive split is a bad thing, it's just a workflow thing to remember in the future.

Dsturzy 07-13-2013 04:59 AM

I have seen some SC48's that pop and some that don't. They have been in stand-only configs and also passive splits. Do we know why some pop and some don't? I checked and all were on the same firmware.

lorenaguey 07-13-2013 08:19 AM

Thanks Brent. Can't say I'm too pleased about that though. I've never been on another desk that does that, but oh well.

xcx 07-15-2013 11:38 AM

i recently had a show where i could run the mix via aes/ebu to the pa-amps. did not pop when stereo'ing and de-stereo'ing channels. btw, my console usually pops when linking/breaking pairs on analog outputs

Brent Lind 07-15-2013 02:13 PM

There are many variables and possible variations but what's important to remember is that you should really have all outputs muted when performing any functions requiring "config" mode. IMO it's preferable to mute beyond the console (i.e. at crossovers, system interfaces etc). Always better to be safe than sorry.

Dsturzy 07-15-2013 05:25 PM

Brent on the desk that I was at that popped, it didnt matter if outs were muted or not. Still popped. In my opinion that's completely unacceptable. I am fine with audio dropping during my Pre show setup, but popping...

xcx 07-16-2013 08:11 AM

maybe unpatching outputs does prevent poping when linking/unlinking. but yes. the poping sucks a little to be honest.