Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Loopcloud is great! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=420639)

gthm 06-19-2022 10:23 AM

Loopcloud is great!

I own so many sample libraries but never use them.. Until now.

With the Loopcloud plugin/app you can mangle samples beyond recognition in countless interesting ways in record time!

And it is AAX. What? Who would've thought? Something like this not Live oriented only.

Integration with Pro Tools? Seamless!

Inspiration? Instant.

Thoughts?

Stephen Bond 06-20-2022 05:32 AM

Re: Loopcloud is great!

Yes agreed. I've been using it a good while.

Here's a couple of tips.

1. Try the Key Lock feature. Once you get the right key then selecting sample s in other keys should be transposed automatically.

2. You can audition a sample by playing it from a MIDI keyboard etc. This way you can really get a feel if the sample is going to work.

3. There was a recent discount offer for new and existing customers. I stumped up for 12 months and saved a pile. I paid £40.50 for the year and it was costing me £9.99 a month. Well worth looking for similar discounts and grabbing them when they appear.

Stephen

gthm 06-21-2022 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Bond (Post 2639876)
1. Try the Key Lock feature. Once you get the right key then selecting sample s in other keys should be transposed automatically.

Totally! And I keep it simple: I only make songs in C Minor, E Minor and G Minor!

You can play the samples on a keyboard? That I did not know! :o This will save me a lot of time, thanks man!

Eric Lambert 06-21-2022 04:33 PM

Can the plugin be purchased separately? I don't want to subscribe to their sample libraries or added features and I'm trying to wean myself off of subscriptions in general.

DetroitT 06-21-2022 04:49 PM

Also off subscriptions. P.A. should add buy in future.

meanwhile If you Have Waves CR8 V14 adds standalone app. (12 core Mojave-metal works)

Stephen Bond 06-22-2022 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthm (Post 2640005)
Totally! And I keep it simple: I only make songs in C Minor, E Minor and G Minor!

Why make it hard on yourself?! Just use Cmaj or Amin and smash any white key you like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gthm (Post 2640005)
You can play the samples on a keyboard? That I did not know! :o This will save me a lot of time, thanks man!

Yeah it is cool for sure. There's lots of features but to be honest I don't need or use the majority of them.

Stephen

Eric Lambert 06-22-2022 03:46 PM

I tried it today. It's not actually AAX, only the routing into ProTools is (the way Soundminer works) -- the rest must be managed via a 3rd party app. The app works fine but it's not AAX. You can record MIDI into PT and it will pass on to the app for limited MIDI capabilities, but they really want you to create the loops in their app and export them back into PT. I thought that was clunky for what I wanted.

The process for initiating the "TRY" (the trial) was odd. You had to select one of their three subscription tiers and provide a CC. I didn't love that, but it wasn't a deal breaker if they don't charge until the end of the month. Many companies operate trials in this way.

Well, they charged me immediately. And when I canceled (I won't use this much so the decision was easy) they said 'ok, we will not bill me again... in 2023! So I had to pay for the whole year though I used it only a half hour. That's ludicrous!

Perhaps I missed something about the process for the "TRY" but I don't think so. And that limited Free version some have talked about doesn't appear to exist anywhere. Maybe that's gone?

It feels like I got suckered, and the genres were rather limited (good for techno, electro, D&B, etc. but not much of a variety) so this wasn't a great experience.

What I really hoped for was a sample manager with sound manipulation features. Basically, Kontakt with a better sample manager. If the ADSR app (an excellent sample librarian) could be integrated into Kontakt we'd have a beautiful plugin. Loopcloud, unfortunately, is not that thing.

Stephen Bond 06-23-2022 05:48 AM

Loopcloud has a lot of material for dance/electronic/rap type genres. For those looking for more acoustic samples, they are less well served and the results can range from good to poor. Finding samples which are not heavily edited or quantised can be an issue.

In a similar complaint, too many samples are too hot and excessively loud/limited/clipped/compressed and the like. You can add this stuff to taste but it is probably impossible to remove what is pre-baked in.

Another complaint is some of the libraries/packs are too big. I mean who needs to audition 2000+ samples including hundreds of kicks for example? Other packs are too small and need more variety for things I am actually finding useful.

All that said, I am a fan. There are some great sounds and samples among the masses and the dross. You just need to sit down and wade through them.
There's great inspiration for song-writing and samples to get something finished alike.

I have a few thousands samples in the bank so I will likely finish downloading what I need and end my subscription at the end of the current 12 months, unless new material comes along which will tempt me to continue.

Stephen

simon.a.billington 06-23-2022 06:52 AM

I tried LoopCloud, had it for about a year. It's actually quite good, but I never really used it much.

I find it so much easier playing in the thing I wasn't than hunting through thousands of loops and not even finding something remotely close. I have specific ideas, that cant really be found in loops it seems.

I ended up dropping that subscription and going for a ProSound Effects SoundQ. Pre-made loops may not be for me, but I still find value in effects.

Eric Lambert 06-23-2022 10:56 AM

As an addendum to my previous post: they refunded my money without issue and said that for the trial you must select monthly, not annually. I suppose if you want to try it but then ultimately go with the annual plan you'd need to contact them after the month is up. Their tech support person was helpful.