Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   S3 and Sigma - Any users? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394786)

Dizzi45Z 10-30-2017 11:02 PM

S3 and Sigma - Any users?

I'm trying to figure out what direction I want to go with my next Mixer. The SSL Matrix has looked very tempting to me, but if it works well, it seems that an S3 with an SSL Sigma would be more ideal so that you would get the tight integration of the S3 with the SSL sound, control and monitoring from Sigma.

Is anybody running this set-up? If so, how is it working for you?

My area I keep getting stuck is that I use a Hearback system which requires that I am able to split the outputs to the Hearback system (Pre Fader), but with talkback somehow integrated.

Anyways, I'm curious how it works for people who may have a similar set-up.

EddieJones 10-31-2017 06:27 PM

Re: S3 and Sigma - Any users?

It depends on your workflow. If you do most of your mixing in PT then be aware that the SSL only has very basic HUI control and when compared to the S3 with the Dock is nowhere near as functional. If you are going to want to do a lot of mixing outside of PT then obviously the SSL might be the way to go.

Impervious 10-31-2017 07:04 PM

S3 and Sigma - Any users?

I agree with Eddie, EuCon is amazing. My favorite feature is the plugin control. The ability to load a plugin and turn a knob on the surface is phenomenal. No plugin mapping is required. I imagine a lot of work has been done by the product designers on the front end because most controllers these days require some sort of plugin mapping. Honestly speaking, purchasing a EuCon Control surface has been the only purchase I haven’t had buyer’s remorse. My only wish is that I had an S3 or maybe even an S6!

Drew Mazurek 11-01-2017 04:54 AM

Have you done extensive, properly controlled A/B testing using super clean summing like the SSL? I have. I've done extensive tests with a Duality and my conclusion was that summing with clean tools like this is a waste of time and money.

If you do it with something that has transformers and will offer some coloration, it can be a nice subtle addition.

Raphie 11-01-2017 08:03 AM

I’m an early Sigma user and use it together with 2 Avid artists via Sigma Delta (mackiecontrol) and EUCON in Cubase 9
Besides great sound and fabulous workflow, What exactly would you like to know?

Dizzi45Z 11-01-2017 08:07 AM

Drew,

Yes, I listened to their files on the site with different summing. When I turned off the labeling and scrambled them up, I couldn't easily tell any difference.

I'm needing some way to bring together multiple outputs from Pro Tools together outboard. I use a Hearback system so that everyone has their own control of their mixes. So while tracking, I have different instruments routed to different outputs and I need some sort of mixing device for me that can bring those signals together for me in the control room. I also need to add talkback for the Hearback system and have monitor volume control.

Summing for me would be more of a luxury for me and I probably wouldn't use it a ton. Although, I would see if I start hearing a larger difference as time went on.

I definitely would want the S3 for DAW control. It just seems like the S3/Sigma in theory would be close like a SSL Matrix, but with an S3 for DAW control.

Dizzi45Z 11-01-2017 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphie (Post 2457286)
I’m an early Sigma user and use it together with 2 Avid artists via Sigma Delta (mackiecontrol) and EUCON in Cubase 9
Besides great sound and fabulous workflow, What exactly would you like to know?

I'm curious how well Sigma works with the S3. Since it doesn't seem like very many people use this combination, I worry that there could be some glaring oversight in some areas.

For example, I see that you need to set up your 16 channels to the left of your project to control Sigma. What happens if you hide those tracks? Does it mess up Sigma?

Raphie 11-01-2017 08:32 AM

The 16ch was the old way of working, now u use the sigma delta plugin, which you can control via eucon (pan, fader, mute, mono toggle, solo, out a/b)
I think it works great that way.

Drew Mazurek 11-01-2017 10:20 AM

I’m not exactly sure why you would need to do that but, why don’t you just use another Hearback unit?

Dizzi45Z 11-01-2017 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2457319)
I’m not exactly sure why you would need to do that but, why don’t you just use another Hearback unit?

Are you talking about a Hearback unit? The reason I wouldn't use one of those is because I don't think they sound that great for use in the control room. Plus, many of the ones I have (I have 7 of them) crackle when you turn the master volume. I would like something higher end for monitoring for the center piece of the studio. But all monitoring systems I have seen that are not summing boxes don't give the option of mixing together 8 inputs for the speakers.

I'm also considering using an SSL X-Desk as a small format mixer to go along with the S3. I like that there would always be hardware faders to reach up and grab for the mix in the control room.