Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Microphones (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=83266)

fredsparky 09-10-2003 06:15 PM

Microphones

Hi. And thanks much for your input. I've always gotten great advice from y'all; and consequently, I've spent Great sums thanks to it. I've been using SM 57's, and 58's for years and have had pretty good results. So if I can get away with one more purchase, what would you recommend for recording with my 001:

Rode NTK, Groove Tube GT66, or Blue Dragonfly??

Also, I seem do do OK with the mic pre on the 001 (Focusrite- I think). So should I use a pre amp? I also run my mics through a TASCAM board- so I get good gain. I also thought it might be interesting to try to use my TC Electrinic Finalizer as a pre amp- Would that make sense?

So as James Brown says, "HIT ME!" (with your great advice). What do you all think??

Thanks much.

Allen Hallada 09-10-2003 08:25 PM

Re: Microphones

All those mics are great mics. The NTK does great with the 001 for many things. You may want to check on the RNP preamp also for a great pro quality preamp front end.

Allen

Jburn34 09-10-2003 08:56 PM

I A/B'ed the NTK and the GT 66 among others several months ago. At the time I had a Digi 001 but I was running it through an Avalon. I liked the NTK, and it was awesome especially on some voices, in fact I would still like to have one. But I really liked the GT 66...it wasn't as flashy, but it seemed more versatile. I've used it on male vox, female vox, and acoustic guitar with great results. It will really thicken up the sound in some instances.

If you are going to be recording a voice or something that you happen to know the NTK sounds great on, that might be what you want. Because for one guy in particular, that thing was amazing.

Jeremy

where02190 09-10-2003 09:16 PM

I've yet to find something the NTK doesn't sound great on, and I love it so much I bought a second one.

However, the biggest improvement you can make to the 001 converters IMHO.

fredsparky 09-11-2003 06:18 AM

"However, the biggest improvement you can make to the 001 converters IMHO."

Is this the Focusrite OctoPre rack unit? Or is this something you replace the mic pre's in the 001 with? What does "IMHO" mean?

Also, is anyone using the Dragonfly? Looks like I can't go wrong with either of the GT66 or NTK.

Thanks much.

where02190 09-11-2003 06:46 AM

The Octapre is one example. It has both mic pre's and converters, whicle other units are simply line i/o with converters. All these units connect to the 001 via the Lightpipe conenctions.

IMHO=in my humble opinion.

fredsparky 09-11-2003 07:21 AM

Thanks much!