Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Shortcuts on Windows are not working (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=383056)

avillarreal 08-01-2016 08:41 AM

Shortcuts on Windows are not working

Hi! First time poster here but experienced Pro Tools (Mac) user.

Recently I started using Pro Tools on Windows because that's what we have at a Post-production house I currently work at. Thing is that a lot of shortcuts are not working for some reason.

For instance, the Import Video shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+I) doesn't work, and I'm 100% sure that I'm doing it right. The other one that I use a lot is "Hide All Floating Windows" (Ctrl+Alt+Start+W), and it doesn't work either.

To be clear, these shortcuts have not worked since day 1.

Thanks in advance for your help!

albee1952 08-01-2016 09:34 AM

Re: Shortcuts on Windows are not working

Both these shortcuts work fine here. Defective keyboard?

The Weed 08-01-2016 09:38 AM

Does Commands Focus Mode need to be on?

avillarreal 08-01-2016 10:21 AM

It's on. So the problem it's not there.

Other shortcuts and key-commands like zoom in and out work fine. It's just a handful that don't work.

avillarreal 08-03-2016 06:57 AM

Found out what the problem was. It was the Language setting.

In order for your shortcuts to properly work you have to set the language to "US". Any other option won't work.

Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Change Keyboards > General > (and then add the option "US" under "English (United States")

PhilG 08-03-2016 07:58 AM

That's bonkers. Was going to say test the keyboard.
http://www.keyboardtester.com/ a good site to have all the same....

brmusicandmore 03-18-2017 12:05 PM

I know this has been solved but I thought I would ad my similar situation and solution to this thread.

My system is windows 10. I HAD a ctrl+= shortcut problem only (switch from edit to mix window). ALL other S-cuts worked. MY problem was a program that I like to use called Tiny Spell. A spell check program that helps me with programs that don't have Spellchk. I turned it off and my shortcut problem was gone.

Sometimes small non system utilities in the system tray (the little icons near the clock in windows) can cause conflict. Tiny Spell was ALWAYS watching keystrokes (looking for spelling errors) and this was NOT good for PT. Also, because many of these utilities are watching for shortcuts to bring them up front or to activate they get in the way. So, when running PT, you should turn any and all other programs off that activate with a key-combo. With a proper PT install on a system where you ONLY use it for PT this should NOT be a issue. However, most of us use our PC for other things besides recording with Pro Tools. So stuff can happen.

I like Tiny Spell. The program is great. It just does NOT play well with Pro Tools. I am NOT affiliated with Tiny Spell. I mention it by name because it is popular and could be causing the same issue for other users of PT. And, for that matter, ANY other non system tray utility could cause conflicts. The system tray is a good place to check for issues of this kind and really, any issue that causes PT to cough and sputter. Shut down NON ESSENTIAL, NON SYSTEM utilities. :)

Have fun with PT all.

DFT 04-18-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2373098)
Both these shortcuts work fine here. Defective keyboard?

Resurrecting this, as I'm having specific keyboard shortcut issues on Win 10.

The toggle 'Tab To Transient' shortcut Tab+Win+Alt brings up tiles of all open windows instead of doing its Pro Tools job.

That is a minor inconvenience, but this one I really miss. With Tab To Transient selected, Tab + Shift works as expected, selecting consecutive regions of transients within a clip. But, Tab + Shift + Alt, the shortcut to move backwards or right to left to deselect the last transient region selected, brings the same Windows 10 tile view of all open windows.

I would love if someone could verify this ... or better still help me fix it!

Thank you.

AndyVSX 11-05-2021 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avillarreal (Post 2373471)
Found out what the problem was. It was the Language setting.

In order for your shortcuts to properly work you have to set the language to "US". Any other option won't work.

Control Panel > Region and Language > Keyboards and Languages > Change Keyboards > General > (and then add the option "US" under "English (United States")

That was helpful. Solved the problem by changing the language setting. Thanks!

albee1952 12-12-2021 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFT (Post 2562319)
Resurrecting this, as I'm having specific keyboard shortcut issues on Win 10.

The toggle 'Tab To Transient' shortcut Tab+Win+Alt brings up tiles of all open windows instead of doing its Pro Tools job.

Thank you.

Your shortcut is incorrect. Its Ctrl+Alt+Tab(that's what works here and what's in the shortcuts list). If you go to the Help Menu and select Pro Tools shortcuts, type the function in the search and you can find any shortcut(if one exists):D