Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Eleven Rack (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Eleven Rack Standalone Editor (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=349624)

CME 01-15-2014 03:38 PM

Re: Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Quote:

Originally Posted by christophersad (Post 2121747)
Hi kyle,i want to Ask u and Tony a direct question: is there any plan for future update to the 11r?cause if there is a plan there is no sense in keeping it secret,if there is not....well it make sense Then,a non answer is a negative answer now.

The problem with that is they are a publicly traded company. And as such the can't just openly talk about future plans. It can open a can of legal worms. So a non-answer is simply that.

Darryl Ramm 01-15-2014 03:47 PM

Eleven Rack Standalone Editor

Avid can choose to not talk about whatever they want. But lots of public companies talk about product roadmaps. Plans for specific products are not necessarily material and ideas that they cannot be disclosed are simply not true.

christophersad 01-15-2014 03:50 PM

i dont really know the legal "universe" but you really think something like "hey guys we will continue to develop 11r" should btring problems?
i repeat ,im totally unaware about laws companys etc :)

CME 01-15-2014 06:09 PM

I'm def no law expert by any means. But I read, and possibly from unreliable sources, that apple was pushing the limits for the amount of time between the announcement and the release of both the last iMac and the new Mac Pro.

And how these laws work and who would even bring up the lawsuit is def beyond my scope of knowledge. I could be way off base on the entire subject. It just seems to have some credence, as most big companies don't announce something more than a month or so before it's release.

But back to the topic. At least they are finally releasing the stand alone editor. That is huge in and of itself. And maybe I'm just optimistic. But seems in most cases no news ends up good news. Bad news travels fast. And the fact they did develop the editor shows they're listening and at least hopefully working on updates for the 11r itself.

kelco83 01-15-2014 07:15 PM

It's up to the company. If the investors like a roadmap they'll do one, if not, why bother you do lose a strategic edge announcing your intentions early.

Vercingetorix 01-15-2014 07:21 PM

Now that we finally have a confirmed release for the Editor :cool:, what are the chances of us getting that Impulse Loader that according to Chris Townsend was almost finished in time for inclusion in the ERXP, as well as the other amp models he had done and/or working on.

YYR123 01-15-2014 09:10 PM

Exp pk3

christophersad 01-16-2014 04:10 AM

my wishes are this:
if you plan on developing 11r furtermore its great,but give us at least 2 word
if you plan to stop developing (wich is what i think and what facts show) then make the 11r software an opensoirce, so a genius asian nijna guy can come and do the trick for us (and this happend for several other prodicts)

dont be fooled by the editor guys,they were forced to release an editor to support pt 11 (their main product) and prolly they found easier and faster to program a standalone with a midi protocol than to integrate it in pt11.

musicman691 01-16-2014 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber (Post 2121735)
Hey musicman691,

Eleven Rack Editor is essentially sending/receiving MIDI communication. So, Eleven Rack Editor, Pro Tools, and Eleven Rack all update to reflect the same selected patch, rig settings, etc. From a workflow perspective, you shouldn't see much of a change other than now having GUI control via separate application.

Embedding rig settings is available in Pro Tools 11 via I/O Setup>Input page. So, it is not available in Eleven Rack Editor.

Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully there will be a faq to go along with this if there isn't already. If there is - link please?

YYR123 01-16-2014 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christophersad (Post 2121921)
my wishes are this:
if you plan on developing 11r furtermore its great,but give us at least 2 word

Dear Christopher,

'Next week'

Sincerely Avid

Ok so thats 6 but who's counting !

Vercingetorix 01-16-2014 05:30 AM

Quote:

dont be fooled by the editor guys,they were forced to release an editor to support pt 11 (their main product) and prolly they found easier and faster to program a standalone with a midi protocol than to integrate it in pt11.

Oh, I don't doubt that for a second. It reflected terribly on them to have no or limited functionality to the 11R in their flagship product.

But I like to bring up that almost finished - or finished - IR Loader by Chris Townsend whenever I can ... basically because I like stirring up trouble :p

Deansy 01-16-2014 07:52 AM

It's amazing how clueless companies can be to their customers' needs and potential customers. So now they release an editor that's only 64bit! That probably excludes more than half of the market!
2nd: Even though I don't care for impulse response loaders, I'm almost certain that adding that feature alone today, will make the Eleven Rack so desirable and a clear alternative to Two notes Torpedo, AXE FX etc etc and Sales will probably go through the roof, but hey, they're the big boys and they know what they're doing!:rolleyes:

jeffro 01-16-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

This was actually the plan all along. Pulling the Eleven Rack Editor out of PT11 allowed us to get PT11 out sooner, and bundling PT10 with PT11 provided that functionality until a standalone app could be released. Obviously not a perfect solution, but a compromise we needed to make based on our resources and other work.

brianiac5150 01-16-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2121996)
This was actually the plan all along. Pulling the Eleven Rack Editor out of PT11 allowed us to get PT11 out sooner, and bundling PT10 with PT11 provided that functionality until a standalone app could be released. Obviously not a perfect solution, but a compromise we needed to make based on our resources and other work.

As convoluted a process as this may seem and looking at it through rose glasses; this really speaks to the importance of the Eleven Rack within the Pro Tools platform. To release a complete version with the new version platform in order to include this functionality says a lot, in my peon opinion.

Yes...the wait sucked and I would've preferred it'd been there from the get-go, however, we're all extremely aware it's in the not too distant future and I am very thankful and happy for the work and results.

I'm certain it'll work flawlessly upon download. :p

jeffro 01-16-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deansy (Post 2121979)
It's amazing how clueless companies can be to their customers' needs and potential customers. So now they release an editor that's only 64bit! That probably excludes more than half of the market!

The standalone editor is based on the Pro Tools 11 code which is 64-bit. Including 32-bit support would increase the complexity of the project which would either delay the release or impact other projects. Eleven Rack owners on a 32-bit OS can still use Pro Tools 10 to access the editor.

Quote:

2nd: Even though I don't care for impulse response loaders, I'm almost certain that adding that feature alone today, will make the Eleven Rack so desirable and a clear alternative to Two notes Torpedo, AXE FX etc etc and Sales will probably go through the roof, but hey, they're the big boys and they know what they're doing!:rolleyes:

This is indeed one of the highest voted requests for Eleven Rack:
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/idea...ussionID=11273

YYR123 01-16-2014 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2122007)
The standalone editor is based on the Pro Tools 11 code which is 64-bit. -Eleven Rack owners on a 32-bit OS can still use Pro Tools 10 to access the editor

Makes sense to me

Quote:

and most Mac owners can upgrade to Mavericks for free, so we feel this is a reasonable solution.

Well I guess that cat is out of the bag - I'm still at 10.8.4

However it's not terrible but it will push me to 10.9.1 - but I could probably live at PT11 from now on with this inclusion (that and slate's expected 1qtr releases)

bredo 01-16-2014 09:51 AM

I am really, REALLY, happy that they finally releases a Stand Alone Editor. They killed two birds with one stone with this. Both for PT11 users and users of other DAW's.

I would have been mad if they only incorporated this in PT11. As said, their solution is the best of both worlds IMO :-)

Logichead 01-16-2014 09:59 AM

Anyone at Avid consider a standalone editor / librarian for iOS devices?

REALLY NEEDS a dedicated foot controller or two...

Best…H

Darryl Ramm 01-16-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Really? I don't see lack of 32 bit support as that serious a deficiency, and I would be very surprised if it excluded anything like "half the market", but maybe I'm missing something. And those poor Avid folks, they actually try to give people what they want and they get slammed for it. (that and the jerkoffs here with long lists of other new features they want. :-)).

Avid is meeting their commitment to deliver a Eleven Rack editor for Pro Tools 11 customers, which is the only public commitment related to this they ever made AFAIK. it's a bonus that they are delivering a stand-alone editor that may be useful elsewhere.

The Eleven Rack is already a viable alternative for lots of users compared to say the Axe FX and I suspect that is based largely on price. I'm not sure that most folks who seriously want an Axe-FX II today would suddenly accept an Eleven Rack because it now has a stand-alone GUI.

I'm not sure how many users really won't have a Windows or Mac 64 bit system today. Sure it might have been nice to be able to reporpose say an old laptop for a stand-along rig editor. But if the use is purely stand-along use without a DAW then a solution is buy a low-end x86-64 laptop or similar and use that. You can get Windows 8 x86-64 laptop starting around $300. I don't know the exact requirements are for the new Eleven Rack GUI are, but I'd be surprised if you won't be able to buy a low-cost laptop just to run that if you need. I expect lots of folks who wanted a stand alone-GUI for use without a DAW might have old laptops etc. and have hoped to use them for this, but if they really want this the worse case answer is buy that dedicated cheap laptop, if it is not worth ~$300 then maybe its not really that important to the user.

If you have a computer today and are running Pro Tools you have an editor on Pro Tools 8, 9 and 10 on 64 and 32 bit systems. That's a lot of Eleven Rack users right there that can just keep using what they are if they want. Users with Pro Tools 11 will obviously be on x86-64 systems and able to use the new editor.

I assume if you are using a third party DAW with the Eleven Rack as the interface then you'll need to have the Eleven Rack GUI running on the same computer. Otherwise the DAW computer would need to tunnel MIDI traffic say over Ethernet between the GUI and the Eleven Rack, way too much complexity in my book to want to implement all that for this edge case. So that likely excludes say using the Eleven Rack as an interface on a 32 bit DAW system and running the GUI on a separate 64 bit system. So if you are running a third party DAW, on x86-32 then yep likely tough luck. But how many folks are seriously in that camp? If you are then you likely have other reasons to want to upgrade to get the latest DAW features, latest plugins, latest drivers, VI large memory support, etc. just add being able to use the Eleven Rack GUI to that list and make the decision that is right for you.

There may be some pre-Pro Tools 8 folks, say with old HD/TDM systems with an Eleven Rack hanging off an interface as an outboard processor who want a GUI... well they can join the party as well. They will be able to hook up that cheap x86-64 laptop to the Eleven Rack and manage it there. And they could never embed settings in Pro Tools etc. or talk to the Eleven Rack from Pro Tools pre-8 anyhow so they don't lose anything. If they want more capabilities, upgrade to Pro Tools 11/10.

And finally, its all what is doable at reasonable effort and cost and how much baggage you can avoid creating that just casues problems in future.

I'll wait to see how the editor is implemented but I'd assume Avid may have wanted/needed to leverage all the stuff they have already with cross-platform GUI support within the AAX plugin framework. So I suspect, but don't know, that the editor maybe impented as AAX plugins running in a AAX run-time environment, or just enough of it stripped down to provide support for GUI, MIDI and some other bits. (and that does not necessarily mean that bits of the editor software would look anything like plugins, but they might). If so that means that Avid had to productize this runtime, likely from bits they already had, had to decide whether to support a AAX-32 like environment there as well as an AAX-64 like environment, or at least only support AAX-32 and face porting to AAX-64 in future, etc. Not a decision I'd want to make when everything else is going AAX-64 only. If the editor was implemented without all this, as a native Windows or Mac or Java application, then its much easier to provide 32 bit and 64 bit support, but still requires an increased commitment to development, packaging and QA. and a commitment to possibly need make changes to the Eleven Rack driver on 32 bit systems moving forward.

EDIT: And based on Jeffro's comments above that I did not notice earlier it looks like leveraging an AAX runtime is what Avid did.

And while the editor is handy, it is hardly the end of the world to use the font-panel GUI, I think the team did a nice job of that front panel UI design. Would have been nice to have a wider screen but hey.

OK enough kissing up to Avid, now hows my list of future feature requests looking? :-)

Oh, and please add wider front panel screen and a few more menu knobs to the next gen hardware request list please...

Darryl Ramm 01-16-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Eleven Rack owners on a 32-bit OS can still use Pro Tools 10 to access the editor and most Mac owners can upgrade to Mavericks for free, so we feel this is a reasonable solution.
[/url]

Jeff

I am suspecting this is an unintentional implication here of needing Maverics, other information I've seen such as comments on Pro Tools Expert implied a 10.8/Mountain Lion requirement. One way of reading this is the editor needs Maverics (I hope not), the other way of reading this is that if you have a x86-64 Mac today running an old 32 bit OS then you can upgrade to Mavericks' for free to get on x86-64 OS. On the later there may be some pre-Leopard folks that need to do an intermediate paid upgrade to get to Mavericks, but that's going to be tiny minotrity.

But just to be clear are you are saying, separate from requiring a 64 bits that the GUI requires Mavericks to run on OS X? And is that to run at all/known not to work, or to be officially supported? Mountain Lion is a perfectly fine 64 bit OS. I'm just trying understated the exact the requirements here.

Thanks.

Darryl

derker 01-16-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2122033)
Oh, and please add wider front panel screen and a few more menu knobs to the next gen hardware request list please...

Haha, if we're starting a wish list got a next-gen hardware I think we can come up with one as long as the forum itself! :p

Darryl Ramm 01-16-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derker (Post 2122044)
Haha, if we're starting a wish list got a next-gen hardware I think we can come up with one as long as the forum itself! :p

I am willing to bet serious amounts of good beer that it will always be a lot shorter than a software feature wishlist :-)

jeffro 01-16-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2122039)
Jeff
I am suspecting this is an unintentional typo, other information I've seen such as comments on Pro Tools Expert implied a 10.8/Mountain Lion requirement.
But just to be clear are you are saying, separate from requiring a 64 bits that the GUI requires Mavericks to run on OS X? And is that to run at all/known not to work, or to be officially supported? Mountain Lion is a perfectly fine 64 bit OS. I'm just trying understated the exact the requirements here.
Thanks.
Darryl

Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2122011)
Well I guess that cat is out of the bag - I'm still at 10.8.4
However it's not terrible but it will push me to 10.9.1...

I didn't mean to connect those 2 statements - sorry if I caused confusion. Just pointing out that one of our host platforms is encouraging their customers to continue to move to 64-bit by giving their OS away (edited my post to clarify).

The "Requires a 64-bit operating system—Windows 8, Windows 7, or OS X 10.8 or later" statement about the Eleven Rack Editor on PTE is correct AFAIK.

christophersad 01-16-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

to me its just a smart move,btw its funny that u skipped the direct question in my previous post.

ps i still use an old xp 32 bit system,i have a 64 bit mac too but i like a lot my 32bit old lady

jeffro 01-16-2014 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christophersad (Post 2122077)
to me its just a smart move,btw its funny that u skipped the direct question in my previous post.

Sorry, I'm here to help with current issues and try to clarify how we got here when possible. Product Managers would need to comment on the future (if and when they can).

Quote:

Originally Posted by christophersad (Post 2122077)
ps i still use an old xp 32 bit system,i have a 64 bit mac too but i like a lot my 32bit old lady

I'm the opposite... just upgraded from an old 32-bit PC to a 64-bit PC at work, but (as you can see from my sig) I'm still running a 32-bit Mac Pro at home (and most of my audio adventures happen on the latter).

musicman691 01-16-2014 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2122048)
I didn't mean to connect those 2 statements - sorry if I caused confusion. Just pointing out that one of our host platforms is encouraging their customers to continue to move to 64-bit by giving their OS away (edited my post to clarify).

The "Requires a 64-bit operating system—Windows 8, Windows 7, or OS X 10.8 or later" statement about the Eleven Rack Editor on PTE is correct AFAIK.

Actually your first paragraph isn't totally correct either. Mountain Lion is 64 bit but was not given away. Mavericks is the freebie from Apple and it's not Apple's first 64 bit os. I don't see Apple encouraging anyone to move to Mavericks by giving it away. It sure as heck isn't making me move from OSX 10.8.5 because it is already 64 bit. IIRC even 10.6.8 is a 64 bit os - at least it boots into 64 bit kernel.

musicman691 01-16-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

If this was the plan all along Avid could at least have communicated it better. And I thought the bundling of PT10 and 11 was just so plugins that haven't made the jump to aax64 bit could still be used - had no idea it was Avid's intention all along to never have the editor work inside PT itself.

Or was it something else like software problems that couldn't be solved integrating the 11 Rack editor and PT11? And I don't mean solved in a reasonable amount of time but solved at all.

YYR123 01-16-2014 03:13 PM

I don't think we should be beating Jeffro up here - he is a part of the machine and would probably like to change how things are done as well if he could

jeffro 01-16-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2122128)
Actually your first paragraph isn't totally correct either. Mountain Lion is 64 bit but was not given away. Mavericks is the freebie from Apple and it's not Apple's first 64 bit os. I don't see Apple encouraging anyone to move to Mavericks by giving it away. It sure as heck isn't making me move from OSX 10.8.5 because it is already 64 bit. IIRC even 10.6.8 is a 64 bit os - at least it boots into 64 bit kernel.

I didn't say Mavericks was their first 64-bit OS, just that they are continuing to pull people in that direction (meaning... we're not going to go backwards here).

jeffro 01-16-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2122131)
If this was the plan all along Avid could at least have communicated it better. And I thought the bundling of PT10 and 11 was just so plugins that haven't made the jump to aax64 bit could still be used - had no idea it was Avid's intention all along to never have the editor work inside PT itself.

Or was it something else like software problems that couldn't be solved integrating the 11 Rack editor and PT11? And I don't mean solved in a reasonable amount of time but solved at all.

Plug-in compatibility was the bigger reason for bundling PT10+11, but the decision was made before PT11 shipped that the ER would be pulled from PT so it was never an issue of integration problems within PT because that was not pursued.

stormstudios 01-16-2014 03:48 PM

Wow.....what a thread!!! I read the whole danged thing!!!

First of all......GREAT news that we're actually talking to AVID people and [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty that it took this long. Tony and Jeffro, thanks for taking the time.

Secondly, a stand-alone editor is awesome and we look forward to using it to edit our 11Rs.

Thirdly, is this confirmation that anything before Mavericks will not work? I'm still confused. Jeffro, I'm on 10.7.5 same as you in your sig. Isn't Mavericks causing many issues with other DAWs?

Finally, good luck at NAMM. I won't be swinging by to see you but I wish you the best.

My IdeaScale priority was a Digitech Whammy simulation so if you announce upgrades with that in it based on IdeaScale input I will take back everything I said about AVID not listening. IR loader is very cool too.

Darryl Ramm 01-16-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormstudios (Post 2122171)
Thirdly, is this confirmation that anything before Mavericks will not work? I'm still confused. Jeffro, I'm on 10.7.5 same as you in your sig. Isn't Mavericks causing many issues with other DAWs?

Already explained in the thread that OS X 10.8 and 10.9 are supported. It is not clear if 10.7.x is just not offically supported or will not work. But worse case you can spend $20 and upgrade to 10.8.5. http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6...-mountain-lion

Some Maverics problems may be being caused by sloppy upgrades, always do full clean OS X upgrades, follow Avid's advice and don't do in-situ upgrade.

jeffro 01-16-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

...thanks for taking the time.

You're welcome.

Quote:

...is this confirmation that anything before Mavericks will not work?

We'll post specific compatibility info soon, but at this point I can clarify it will run on Mountain Lion and Mavericks but not on Lion.

Requires a 64-bit operating system—Windows 8, Windows 7, or OS X 10.8 or later

YYR123 01-16-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2122180)
I can clarify it will run on Mountain Lion and Mavericks but not on Lion.

Nice

kelco83 01-16-2014 06:31 PM

Not everyone can upgrade to mountain lion, though.

Fezzler 01-16-2014 06:49 PM

I'm no programmer. I belong to a few vintage computer online forums/"clubs." There are talented people developing new extensions to OSes and old hardware, and developing new hardware, for 30-year-old computers and software!

I was surprised to hear the new stand alone is simply a GUI that sends and receives MIDI signals. All this time, no one in our universe can write / could have written a program that passes the needed MIDI? I've seen Linux programs that control DigiTech pedals. I am so grateful the SAE is here! Who knows? Maybe someone can develop a 32-bit version.

jeffro 01-16-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelco83 (Post 2122206)
Not everyone can upgrade to mountain lion, though.

True, but I believe most Eleven Rack owners have a pre-11 version of Pro Tools so still have access to the Editor within PT. I'm in that same boat with my own system (replacing my 1st gen Mac Pro isn't in the budget right now) so I'm running PT 10.3.8 on OS X 10.7.5.

What OS are you running on your Mac Mini?

kelco83 01-16-2014 07:52 PM

Mountain lion, I'm in the clear just thinking of others.

Deansy 01-16-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm (Post 2122033)
Really? I don't see lack of 32 bit support as that serious a deficiency, and I would be very surprised if it excluded anything like "half the market", but maybe I'm missing something. And those poor Avid folks, they actually try to give people what they want and they get slammed for it. (that and the jerkoffs here with long lists of other new features they want. :-)). ........
OK enough kissing up to Avid, now hows my list of future feature requests looking? :-)

There's no deficiency for those who like using Pro tools, since the Eleven Rack is intended to Sell Pro Tool software and that's where the focus is : Sell more pro tools software. That's fine with me because I know that the Eleven Rack is a great stand alone guitar processor also , but everywhere I go, I hear guitar players not purchasing the Eleven Rack because they feel they're being baited into Pro tools and future upgrades etc etc. Clearly I'm not talking about those who already own the Eleven Rack, as most if not all have Pro tools software as the editor. I'm talking about those who are turned off and not buying the Eleven Rack due to its ties to the almighty Pro Tools just to Edit a Guitar processor.

Many guitar players can't relate to the complexity of not having a simple editor due the requirement that it must interface with pro tools! Almost every digital guitar processor out there comes with a stand alone editor!! It's not difficult at all to all to a hardware company to provide a stand alone editor and it shouldn't be that complex. If Avid really cared about that segment of the Market (who just want a good Modeler and the Eleven Rack is), it would take them a few days to split the editor in the previous 32 bit editor in the prior versions of pro tools and provide support for both systems, but again, the focus is to sell Pro Tools . With an approach like this, IMHO, they will never be a viable guitar company.

The biggest irony though is the Eleven Rack is probably one of the easiest devices to edit from it's own front panel and all of those who complain about not having an editor, could very well edit faster without a software editor, but why should they not have the choice to play guitar and use a software editor, other than Pro Tools, at the same time ! Well I hope that this new editor won't be viewed as too late and hopefully it will revive sales; maybe Avid would further develop the product, who knows! I personally love the Eleven Rack. I think it's one of the best well designed and thought out products out there. I use it with Cubase, the only thing I don't have and don't need is the embedding but other than that, it works flawlessly. Hardly any potential customer knows that you can use the Eleven Rack with software other than pro tools. Hopefully this new 64 bit only;) editor will be somehow change that perception.

christophersad 01-17-2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffro (Post 2122118)
Sorry, I'm here to help with current issues and try to clarify how we got here when possible. Product Managers would need to comment on the future (if and when they can).

I'm the opposite... just upgraded from an old 32-bit PC to a 64-bit PC at work, but (as you can see from my sig) I'm still running a 32-bit Mac Pro at home (and most of my audio adventures happen on the latter).

Just to clarify jeffro,there is nothing against you,and im glad that you at least to ok the time to talk with us,its just the situation and the long years of no support,along with avid lack of comunication that make me and others always think to the dark side of the story...11r is like a ferrari with an isuzu engine and that is sad :(