Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Let's hear your latest stuff....right here (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=60365)

Mr_Seven 11-18-2001 02:53 PM

Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

I just finished working on a couple of projects where we used VST drums. They're real drums played by real drummers. I can arrange and rearrange them in cubase, use all the neat VST/DX Plugins and then export a 2track wave file to Protools. The only thing is that it's 16bit. But there are several CD's with many choices of styles. The midi is included as well. Kinda gives one the best of both worlds. I'll post soon (seems one of my server drives took a dump, although I had backup I've not replaced it yet).

Last 11-18-2001 03:08 PM

Hi guys!Interesting little subthread about midi and drumsounds going here.I just want to throw a thought at you all about this.The problem you are having are to make sampled ,triggered,or midi drums sound closer to real drums.Here is the thought:
Try to not focus on making them sound real,but try to make them sound like what they need to sound like to get the job they are doing done.iow,rethink drums as another instrument to play with,instead of something that is has for the last 50 years stayed basically the same,while most everything around it has moved on.Throw out the rule book and live a little.Drum(percussion) should be fun to do,not a chore to appease the fundamentalists.Recording an assualt on a cardboardbox has been know the put to shame some pretty expensive toms and kickdrums. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
The secret to doing this is simply to keep the secret,otherwise the old people will burn you at the stake.Some of the best rimshots can be found in the microwave,and there's a whole world of accoustic guitar out there without strings that has not been properly explored.

As I said,just a thought,use it dont use it.

Mark_Knecht 11-18-2001 05:11 PM

Last,
I think it's a good thought, and I think it can apply to any instrument really. As artists, people have ideas in their heads. To the extent that they're willing to try new things, we move forward.

OK, I decided I need to put up or shut up, so here's a link to my lastest. I look forward to your comments. It's called Someone to Play With.

A little background. This started as a little drum pattern that my 9 year old son was playing with in Acid. I took and sort of ran away with the idea, so thanks to Matt. I have two versions. This is the Acid version, so the drums are all sampled. I have another version I'm mixing with live drums. It gives a very different feel. Hopefully I'll be able to post that in a day or two after I get it mixed.

BTW - There is nothing used on this song other than a stock 001 and plug ins.

http://www.controlnetcorp.com/~m akeMusic/someonetoplaywith.mp3

Cheers,
Mark

Roy Howell 11-18-2001 05:52 PM

Mark,

As I told you when I first heard the core of this same piece, it makes me feel better having listened to it. It's good to know someone you respect is doing good work, too.

Roy

Mark_Knecht 11-18-2001 06:42 PM

Why thanks Roy. Means a lot to me coming from you.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Roy Howell:
Mark,

As I told you when I first heard the core of this same piece, it makes me feel better having listened to it. It's good to know someone you respect is doing good work, too.

Roy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Voutsonios 11-18-2001 06:51 PM

Hello

Really nice things and ideas - i agree with you Last but i belive when your are working to specific genre like rock or metal music
you can be innovative up to a certain point
(i m talking about drums)
i agree 100% that you should exlpore new paths but somethings are expected to sound in a standard way - as i said before my main problem is the sound of drums cause i m doing heavy music and people expect to here huge, tight, and boosted sounds on the drums

but thats just my opion and the way i like the drums to sound [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mark, i ve listed "someonetoplaywith" - I honestly dont have any comments - it sounds perfect to me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

it was so funny when you said that your nine years old son was playing within acid
when i was nine i didnt even know how to use a calculator [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

anyway keep the songs coming

Mark_Knecht 11-18-2001 07:47 PM

Vouts,
Thanks!

Hey, I was 9 years old in 1964. If I had said I was playing with Acid it would have been a whole different thing! ;-)

Take care,
Mark

GP 11-19-2001 09:43 AM

Roy,
I'm In Ontario. Work in Toronto but live an hour north of the city.

Roy Howell 11-20-2001 12:55 AM

Here's a new ruff.....

One Eyed Gypsy Waltz http://basstardz.dhs.org/roy/

Mark_Knecht 11-20-2001 07:28 AM

Roy,
I enjoyed it. I especially like the little guitar part right around 1:50 that sort of sounds like a wah pedal pulled back. It fit well.

Mark