Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Vista Ultimate 64-bit Support for LE 8.0 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=244377)

belialtheunholy 04-19-2009 01:19 PM

Vista Ultimate 64-bit Support for LE 8.0

Just as the title says. Is there any news on when there will be support for the 64-bit Vista Ultimate OS?

I just built the most haus system ever and I'm using PT 8.0 and my Mbox2. I'd really like to see some support for PT LE 8.0 on x64 Vista.

Edit:

I'd also be interested to hear if there's any news on support for Windows 7. I know it's still in the beta, so there can't be much development on it. However, Windows 7 is a new kernel (7.0, rather than Vista's 6.X).

sw rec 04-19-2009 08:40 PM

Re: Vista Ultimate 64-bit Support for LE 8.0

RUMOR has it there's a lot of work going on at Digi to in fact support a 64-bit OS. VISTA in and of itself is a real resource hog, though. If you'd like to go to work now (or anytime soon) 32-bit XP is still your best bet.

Keybeeetsss 04-19-2009 08:42 PM

Search is the best thing goin...Soooooo much info around here about all of that...

TOM@METRO 04-19-2009 08:52 PM

(Sup Kb?)

+1 for staying 32bit for now. Especially if clients are depending on you. I feel XP until W7 is the path of choice but a lot of Vista users would disagree with me on that.

Keybeeetsss 04-19-2009 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOM@METRO (Post 1386117)
(Sup Kb?)

Hey Bud-deeee:D

belialtheunholy 04-21-2009 11:59 AM

Vista may be a resource hog if you don't know how to manage your computer correctly. If you build haus systems like I do it's not a problem, either.

AMD Phenom II X4 Deneb 3.0G
G.Skill 8G RAM 5-5-5-15
2 x EVGA GTX 275 896MB GPU's in SLI mode

...but none of this answers my question.

Is there any news from Digidesign that officially states that there is x64 compatibility in the works? None of this "Rumor has it" business...

From an IT standpoint, you shouldn't be wanting to use XP... with Windows 7 coming out, and Vista already on the market, XP is not only obsolete now but when Windows 7 comes out, support is going to slowly go away. Talk about being reliable for your clients...

I always feel like I'm beating a dead horse when I post on this forum. Obviously my search turned up no results if I'm making a post. A thorough search on the Digi website turned up no results either. :rolleyes:

All said and done, this project is for me personally, I don't record clients. Just me.

sw rec 04-21-2009 12:12 PM

You ask questions, you get answers. Sorry they aren't what you want to hear.....
Everybody is responding from a standpoint of what works. Most of us DO record clients and can't afford to deal with unstable systems, so while you consider Xp obsolete, it WORKS. And the majority opinion is it works better for current incarnations of PT than VISTA. WIN 7 isn't proven or supported yet. There's theory and there's reality. Reality is, right now, we use what works so we don't waste our (or our clients') time.

JMS40 04-21-2009 12:28 PM

Yes... Digi will release the 64 bit version on April 32, 2009.

Or... No, Digi has decided, even though the industry is headed in that direction, they are not working on a 64 bit version.

Now reality, Digi has not speculated on a release date so any answer to that question is just a guess. You're welcome to guess as well.

Considering 64 bit is inevitable, it's safe to guess without a doubt they are working toward it.
My guess is that it will coincide with Win 7 compatibility.
I have a hard time believing they are expending man hours on a Vista 64 bit release, considering Vista is going to come and go faster than Win ME did.
Those that would know aren't telling though.

spy2520 04-21-2009 01:56 PM

Ill add that Windows 7 RC is being released next month to the public. I as well as others have been running PT8 on the Windows 7 Beta and for me it works perfect, it just crashes the machine every time i close. me and another member believe it is most likely caused by the Mbox driver having issues with addressing (or releasing) memory over the 32-bit address range.

sw rec 04-21-2009 02:26 PM

Crashing the machine when closing the program isn't exactly working PERFECT. I HAVE heard that there are some firewire driver issues to be worked out still, and it's kind of a crap-shoot running a 32-bit program in a 64-bit environment. But I, like many others on here, sure could use the ability to access more ram. Hats off to you guys with the guts to flush these things out!