Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Fader movement after automation written (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=127355)

Siegfried Meier 01-26-2005 12:12 PM

Fader movement after automation written

I'm curious about something. After I've written a bunch of automation, and I try scaling all faders down a touch (because they're getting too hot) using the "all" group, the channels with automation written jump back (obviously). Is there a quick way to have the automation automatically scaled down with my other non-automated fader levels, as opposed to figuring out how much was scaled, and then bringing down each channel? I realize that I could bring the master fader down as well, but I'd rather do it this way for other reasons. Thanks much.

Best regards,
Siegfried Meier

blairl 01-26-2005 01:16 PM

Re: Fader movement after automation written

Sure. Select in the edit window the area you want scaled (length and any or all tracks you want affected). Select ALL in the groups window by clicking to the left of ALL or shift click to the left of the groups you want. Adjust the volume on any of the selected tracks by the amount you want to scale if you have selected ALL tracks, or adjust the volume on one track from each group you have selected. Make sure you are viewing track volume in the edit window. Select Edit>Trim Automation>To Current Parameter (or press shift+command+/).

You may want to leave any AUX tracks untouched if you are using them in a send-return fashion for effects and your sends are post-fader. Also be aware that if you are using AUX tracks for bussing with compressors, the compression threshold will be affected by lowering the volume on the tracks driving the compressor.

Siegfried Meier 01-26-2005 02:58 PM

Ahhh. But of course. It's been there all these years and I didn't realize how it worked!!!! Thanks so much!

Best regards,
Siegfried Meier

Siegfried Meier 01-26-2005 03:01 PM

Oh. But the problem is, if a channel is already at the lowest volume at the beginning of a track, that track won't reduce it's volume automation accordingly, because there's a zero level at the beginning. Interesting. Still very useful though! Thanks.

Siegfried

SessionKat 01-26-2005 03:36 PM

Wouldn't using TRIM automation mode on all grouped faders do the same during a real-time pass?

-tv

Andre Knecht 01-26-2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

Oh. But the problem is, if a channel is already at the lowest volume at the beginning of a track, that track won't reduce it's volume automation accordingly, because there's a zero level at the beginning. Interesting. Still very useful though! Thanks. Siegfried

Actually, if you're reducing levels, automation breakpoints found to be at the lowest possible level (and btw, that would be "-infinite", and not "zero"), won't change at all.

Hope this helps.

frenchman 01-27-2005 09:18 AM

Quote:

Wouldn't using TRIM automation mode on all grouped faders do the same during a real-time pass?

yes and you can use the the write to end feature to apply to whole track

Camilo Orozco 01-27-2005 04:02 PM

Quote:

yes and you can use the the write to end feature to apply to whole track

How do you "write to end"???

Rail Jon Rogut 01-27-2005 05:24 PM

Command+4 brings up the Automation Window.

Page 499 of the 6.7 Reference Guide.

Control (under Mac, Start under XP) clicking on either the GTZ or GTE buttons in the Transport Window also can be used to write to the Start or End.

Rail