Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Tech specs needed on a laptop to work well with Protools ?? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=237470)

Amnesiac 01-23-2009 10:26 PM

Tech specs needed on a laptop to work well with Protools ??

I have PT 7.4 running on my PC but Im buying a laptop to use specifically with this protools system running on an mBox2. And I have an Mbox for backup. And I will most likely be upgrading to PT8.

A friend told me that a 10K rpm HDD is highly recommended. But besides that, I dont know what technical specs to look for on this laptop Im getting.

Can anyone tell me what are the tech specs needed to run protools decently on a laptop? I dont want anything fancy, but I do need one that can perform well.

Or better yet, pls recommend me laptops that have worked well for you with protools??
I have a budget of aprox. $900.

albee1952 01-24-2009 06:56 AM

Re: Tech specs needed on a laptop to work well with Protools ??

Look near the top of the Windows section for 2 sticky threads on "best laptops" and "core 2 duo" laptops.

10K drives are overkill and a waste of your money. You do need an external FIREWIRE drive that uses the Oxford chipset and has a 7200 rpm drive. USB drives are not supported. eSATA is not tested but many of us are using them with no issues as it is basically the same as SATA but wired to the outside world.

msgood 01-24-2009 07:13 AM

Oxford chipset, such as is used in Glyph's drives, is supported. But the Digidesign site doesn't offer much guidance on which laptop firewire chipsets are supported. For instance I know from personal experience that the RICOH firewire controller used in Dells and other laptops won't recognize my glyph drive. On the other hand, I've heard that Texas Instruments firewire controller is fine.

Amnesiac 01-24-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 1341453)
Look near the top of the Windows section for 2 sticky threads on "best laptops" and "core 2 duo" laptops.

Those stickies are for desktops, not for laptops. Really good info. If only I could get something similar but specific to laptops....

Thanks a lot

arnobg 01-24-2009 09:48 AM

No, you just read the wrong one and didn't read the others I guess?

Best Laptops for PTLE

core2 duo laptops qualified

they're both a couple threads down from the desktop one.........can't miss them

JMS40 01-24-2009 09:56 AM

Best Laptops for PTLE

Core 2 Duo Laptops Qualified: HP nw8440/9440

albee1952 01-24-2009 07:32 PM

I thought that's what I said.....

JMS40 01-24-2009 08:02 PM

Yes you did point that out first.
Amnesiac seemed lost and I thought the links might help.

albee1952 01-24-2009 11:03 PM

I was just gum flapping. Its been a loooooooooooooooong day at the studio. Glad you stepped in as I probably would not have handled it well in this state of mind.:o:(