Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Avid...why is heat TDM only ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=306198)

Ru_C 08-20-2011 08:57 AM

Avid...why is heat TDM only ?

Yes *I know* it's because it's only been coded that way...but what i'm really asking is, how does this fit in with their new 'Native' strategy??

It seems everything else they have done for a few years now, has been pulling away from DSP, & yet here they are with something that is DSP only?

What's the game-plan ?

mgoorevich 08-20-2011 09:30 AM

Re: Avid...why is heat TDM only ?

It's very simple.
Heat was ported from Crane Song Phoenix TDM only plugin.
So the old algorithm was just inserted under the hood of Pro Tools and visually redesigned.
But in fact it's an old good Phoenix (indeed very efficient plugin).
You may want to ask Dave Hill (Crane Song) whether he's planing to go native.

Audiofarm 08-20-2011 09:53 AM

From Dave Hill´s website:

"At this time all of my plug-ins are TDM only. At some time in the future. They will ported to RTAS. This is very difficulte to do. Non Avid formats are not planned. When the RTAS version becomes available
it will be given to all owners of the TDM version who buy it now."

JFreak 08-21-2011 12:24 AM

RTAS plugins can very easily be converted to other native formats and vice versa. That is because they are all coded the same way, algorithm-wise. The rest is just GUI and interfacing to host. IOW, once it goes RTAS it can go AU/VST as well.

TDM is fixed point math (real DSP) and Native is floating point math. There's the one big difference and the only real reason why some plugin only supports some format(s).

sunburst79 08-21-2011 12:50 AM

From a session interchange viewpoint having a RTAS version of HEAT makes sense.

Rectifried 08-21-2011 08:18 AM

I think Dave Hill likes the non-piracy of the TDM platform, and who can blame him .... but sad to not have his plugs for sure

necjamc 08-21-2011 08:38 AM

TDM Plugs are coded in Assembly language, and RTAS are coded in C I believe. So essentially you would have to rewrite it.

Fidelis 08-21-2011 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgoorevich (Post 1827017)
It's very simple.
Heat was ported from Crane Song Phoenix TDM only plugin.
So the old algorithm was just inserted under the hood of Pro Tools and visually redesigned.
But in fact it's an old good Phoenix (indeed very efficient plugin).
You may want to ask Dave Hill (Crane Song) whether he's planing to go native.

I own both of them and they're very different from each other.

drumster 08-22-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidelis (Post 1827410)
I own both of them and they're very different from each other.

I agree. HEAT is not the same as Phoenix at all. For my needs, I found HEAT to be alot better for workflow. I don't think we'll see an RTAS version for a long time. When Dave Hill was referring to RTAS ports of his plugins, I believe he was referring to his new plugin "RA".

dtmprod 08-22-2011 07:52 AM

I've been using RA & Phoenix along with Heat. In fact Dave himself suggested that in conjunction with Heat, RA be placed after Phoenix Tape as RA tends to amplify the 'analog' effect of both Heat & Phoenix. It's taken a bit to wrap my head around the concept, but it's changed my mixes for the better.