Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S4/S6 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Meters freeze intermittently (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=383941)

Postman 09-04-2016 01:03 PM

Meters freeze intermittently

S6-M10-24-5, v2.2.0.241, PT12.5.2, OSX10.10.5, 2010 Cheesgrater MacPro

Happens whenever Mac workstation is unable to connect to internet. When connected to internet operation is restored. Disconnect from internet and meters become intermittent again, freezing for several seconds then working for several seconds, repeat. Other surface functionality seems unaffected.

S6 port 1 unused
S6 port 2 direct connect to Mac port 2, for Eucon
Mac port 1 to Cisco switch for studio network and internet.

I did not notice this problem until v2.2 was installed last week, although usually internet is connected so I might not have noticed. Checked PT12.4 and PT12.5.2, no difference.

Anyone else?

EddieJones 09-04-2016 06:10 PM

Re: Meters freeze intermittently

Try this: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/t...ng-Not-Working

Postman 09-05-2016 10:01 AM

Hi Eddie,

Thank you for taking some time out of your holiday weekend to answer and give me that link. I checked all three steps and found no problem. Permissions are read+write and text for MulticastInterface is present exactly as the article says is should be.

I'll keep an eye out for some other clue.

Postman 09-05-2016 10:41 AM

I have verified that other parts of the control surface remain alive while meters are frozen. Also, the studio network connected to Mac port 1 remains alive.

Postman 09-06-2016 12:52 PM

I tried a different test. Usually the MacPro's buiilt in wifi is turned off. When on and connected to the studio router with internet access, meters are good. Without wifi and when port 1 is completely disconnected, leaving port 2 only to S6, then meters are good. If port 1 is connected to the studio net but wifi access is not available on the studio net, then the meters are intermittent. If I then enable wifi or allow internet through the studio's switch, meters are good.

Something is looking for internet access from time to time and if it cannot find any, the meters are affected. Maybe I picked up an infection. Maybe an osx issue.

EddieJones 09-06-2016 01:09 PM

Is this on Mavericks ? Also do you ever get the WSControl select network dialog pop up when starting the Mac ?

Postman 09-06-2016 03:19 PM

Yosemite 10.10.5. No dialog to select network. That dialog I've only seen at first launch after installing.

Moments after login, each time, I see a message "WSControl connection change", followed by port and ip numbers. It is just a message, no interaction. The same port and ip information that was entered after installation and is present (and correct) when I check WSControl's settings.

EddieJones 09-07-2016 12:28 AM

Can you try this. In the Mac network prefs set the EUCON network port to fixed IP address. Use 192.168.2.200 sub 255.255.255.0

Postman 09-07-2016 01:26 PM

Hi Eddie,

Fixed IP for the Mac 's Eucon connection did not help but your suspicion about a network problem was spot on.

We noticed that the meters worked okay when there was no wire plugged into the ethernet port where the studio network was normally connected. That was my temporary fix. I realized that when we meant only to disconnect the internet from the studio's net, we were disconnecting its router as well ("doh!"), leaving just a switch with a couple of studio computers attached. They could still talk to each other, they all use fixed IPs on the same IPv4 subnet, IPv6 is not used at all AFAIK. Peer to peer between them works without the router. The S6 network is not connected to that switch but once the studio's router was reconnected to it, with or without WAN internet, the meters behave properly.

I do not understand why a lack of router on one local net would interfere with meters (ONLY the meters) on the S6 using a different local net (with its own router in the MM). Whatever the reason, we'll just make sure our router remains connected. That was our mistake.

Thanks for your help!

EddieJones 09-08-2016 05:24 AM

The meters use multicast (different from the rest of the system) I'm not sure why the other network would cause this, but glad you are up and working now.