Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   OT - Hard drive defragging made easy!!! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=101418)

graveleye 03-25-2004 11:33 AM

OT - Hard drive defragging made easy!!!

Wow... this is a good way to really get the bugs out of your system... in fact, this might solve that silly little BTD problem folks have been complaining about so much

http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_frag1.php

lemix 03-25-2004 11:42 AM

Re: OT - Hard drive defragging made easy!!!

You know what ??
I'd never even go near that stuff...Pretty scary IMO.

good luck,
cheers,

Sparks 03-25-2004 12:02 PM

Looks good, try Brasso in place of the second wash

lemix 03-25-2004 12:06 PM

now I got it...

K.B. 03-25-2004 12:07 PM

Thanks Graveleye!

That's a really useful site. Especially the advice on changing your graphics card. I always had trouble getting access to it. It never occured to me to just cut a hole in the case! Brilliant.

And the forum is really good too. Not like the ill-educated rubbish we have to put up with here!

But seriously, who pays for it? Svinto?

I always found a good way of clearing out unwanted data was to gently push the PC, gradually, inch by inch, until it fell off the desk. Guaranteed data loss every time.

3JDamon 03-25-2004 12:16 PM

I simply have 20GB partitions, so each project stays completely independent, and once the job is done and everything is backed up, I reformat the partition. Defraging the boot disk is another animal.

K.B. 03-25-2004 12:21 PM

Have you thought of running a magnet over them?

Bad data's a bit 'negative', right? So if you use the appropriate end of a strong magnet you should be able to pull this bad data away.

Experiment on someone else's PC first to work out which end of the magnet is the best to use. Don't tell them before, and see how surprised and grateful they are! And if it doesn't work, just don't say anything.

(ps It's good to do this in your day job - that way you either get promoted, or you get a day off because of computer failure!)

graveleye 03-25-2004 12:29 PM

I have an old Crate 15" speaker from a bass amp that works wonders on harddrives and even cassette tapes. We're musicians, so we have everything we need to take care of our hardware right there at our disposal.

Booyah 03-25-2004 01:47 PM

I believe the correct term is Degaussing not defrag as your data belong to the Magnet. lol

heres a machine that will do the same job without opening the HD:
The HD-1 Professional Degausser

K.B. 03-25-2004 03:02 PM

Getting rid of Bad Data (Shooh! Shooh! Go away!)

But first guys, I just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed being in this forum with you.

Your so open and friendly and welcoming. Full of good advice. (Not like those unfriendly Cubase guys who didn't make me feel welcome at all. ). And because of that I'm real glad I bought my ProTools kit (someone very polite and friendly on the Cubase Forum suggested it actually). Though I still haven't figured out why nothing's coming out of my Audioblaster sound card (I paid good money for that! ), but I'll get there.

Back to Bad Data. I've been working on this idea.

You know how they say that talking to your plants helps make them grow? Well I tried it with mine, and they died. Anyway, the idea's good! So, like, my neighbor's got this dog, and I know it's a dog with bad thoughts. I can tell these things. I'll admit he hasn't actually done anything bad yet, but every time he sees me he tries to hide in a corner, in the shadows, and looks at me all sly like out of the corner of his eye. So I know he's thinking something real bad. I can tell. So I shout at him, "Bad dog! Bad! Bad! Go away!" And he does. It works. And the time it takes gets shorter each time. Like he's 'tuning in' to me.

So, bad thoughts are a bit like bad data, and my PCs always full of this bad data, like yours is, right? Particularly the History folder in Internet Explorer. Mine's full of all these women doing weird things. I've absolutely no idea how they got there (well... I do, but that's another forum) and I've got to get rid of them. They're doing my head in.

BTW I told my brother about this, but he just yawned and said, "Aw Karel man, I've been hearing this s**t for years," and now he's got me really worried. Exactly what kind of s**t is he hearing? Is he hearing voices or something? I'll have to ring him after this, wake him up (he works shifts, so he's alseep now) and ask him what he means. What are brothers for, eh?

So, to get rid of the bad data I've tried shouting at my PC. Those who are a bit quick among you might have figured this out already. Now, I could do with some advice here, about the wording, cos what I've said is stuff like "Bad data! Bad data! Wicked women! Get out of my PC!"

But all that happens is my neighbor bangs on the wall and shouts "Shut up you crazy mother-f***kr! And leave my dog alone!"

That's not what should happen when you're trying to de-frag your hard disk.

But you see that? You see what I have to put up with? All I'm trying to do is make some music here. You guys understand. Not like those Cubase ba***rds! Amateurs.

Anyway, talking to you guys has made feel real good. I'll go ring my brother now.

KB

(BTW Did you see the price on that degausser? It's 2,000 dollars! Just use a magnet)