Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   2013 Mac Pro with native card...has anyone tried this yet? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=349333)

lancemcv 01-08-2014 11:32 AM

2013 Mac Pro with native card...has anyone tried this yet?

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has been able to try this setup yet, the 2013 Mac Pro with a thunderbolt chassis for the Native card.
Work is buying me the new 4 core mac pro to replace our aged 2006 mac pro,
which I have to say has been really reliable. I only use it to track live bands usually up to 48 tracks 48k 24bit.
The new Mac Pro only runs Mavericks and Pro Tools 11.1.
Also what is the best thunderbolt enclosure for the native card, Sonnet or OWC.

LoZion 01-08-2014 03:25 PM

Re: 2013 Mac Pro with native card...has anyone tried this yet?

or even the TB HDN, is it working?

Bookerv12 01-09-2014 07:24 AM

Hi,

If I understand your questions correctly:

Yes.
We started a native system on a late Mac Pro. (For a bunch of reasons, went to a Hack)
The Mac Pro was great.

The only problem is, the late Mac Pro's don't have thunderbolt ports.
Ours is a PCE card system.
The new Mac pro "Trash cans" have 6 Thunderbolt ports, but are not readily available yet. (You may want to consider a Mini. You really won't gain too much with a MP, unless you are doing crazy video stuff)
The Thunderbolt interface is simply the same PCE card built into an interface.

Recording many simultaneous tracks on HDN is doable, but a bit of a pain due to latency.
Our HDN system is fine for overdubs but recording 24 tracks at once just was a nightmare.
We kept a TDM system for that and are in the process of getting an HDX to replace that.

The only experience with a chassis we have had has been Magma 3 slot.
Works great.

I have heard people having great success with the Sonnet as well.

lancemcv 01-09-2014 07:57 AM

Hi Booker, actually I'm asking about the brand new black cylinder 2013 Mac Pro. Thanks for the reply though. I have two Mac pros, one in my home studio, a 2009 8 core and at work the older 2006 4 core, both have a native card installed. At work latency is not an issue for me as the band does not listen to the tracks while recording only I do. It's a live music venue. I do edit video as well but mostly at my home studio, but seeing the new Mac Pro is fairly portable I'm thinking I can just grab it and bring it home to do some editing on it. Your right about the new Mac Pro being overkill just for tracking, a new quad core mini would do the job just fine but hey, I would rather they get me the Mac Pro :)

nst7 01-09-2014 07:59 AM

He was asking specifically about the new "trash can" Mac Pro.

I think his concern is because there are already some issues with older PCIe cards even with a chassis, primarily UAD2 cards other than the Octo card. They apparently are not compatible with the new Mac Pro, even with a Thunderbolt to PCIe chassis.

So he's probably wondering if there will be any issues with the HD Native setups.

I would say to the OP, that people are getting the new Mac Pros delivered faster than what was expected, so it shouldn't be too long before someone gets to test this.

lancemcv 01-09-2014 08:26 AM

Yea, one of my concerns is the new Mac Pros have thunderbolt 2. I actually may be one of the early testers as work ordered two back in December.
Really just would like to know if anyone has tried it with either the native card in a thunderbolt box or even just the native thunderbolt.

LoZion 01-09-2014 10:52 AM

I'll be monitoring this thread ;-)

lancemcv 01-17-2014 09:00 AM

Any one using the new Mac Pro yet with a native setup? Just making a remark to move this thread back up the food chain.

Touchwood Studios 01-17-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookerv12 (Post 2119401)
Recording many simultaneous tracks on HDN is doable, but a bit of a pain due to latency.
Our HDN system is fine for overdubs but recording 24 tracks at once just was a nightmare.

:confused:
I record 48 tracks off my Venue through my HD Native Thunderbolt on to a Mac Book Pro with zero issues. 24 tracks with a Mac Pro should be a snap.

Moviesound 01-19-2014 06:21 AM

New 6.1 Mac Pro PT11 and thunderbolt native working really well....except recording are crackling/clicking on playback. Analogue into new Omni, nowhere near clipping. Sounds great when recording but crackling on playback. Yet to find the reason. Otherwise so far very good